PDA

View Full Version : Freon for roof airs

jack14r
09-24-2007, 09:50 AM
I have a friend that has a plastic motor home with roof airs,he is having trouble with one of the roof airs(freezing)what freon do the roof airs generally use?Are most roof airs sealed or can they be recharged?

Petervs
09-24-2007, 12:53 PM
If the roof air is freezing he does not need more freon. The unit is working too good as it is.

The problem will be that the sensor that measures the evaporator temperature is not sending a signal to the expansion valve to reduce the freon flow. This allows the evaporator to freeze over, then air can not flow through to cool the coach.

Often the sensor comes out from between the fins of the evaporator. It is just a little brass bulb clipped on to the fins. Often the evap valve fails open. Any decent refrigeration shop should be able to fix it.

Good luck.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-24-2007, 01:28 PM
Low freon can contribute to evaporator coil freezeups also.

Joe Cannarozzi
09-24-2007, 05:26 PM
Jack I had one charged but it was a sealed unit. The fellow had to install a port to do it, not a big deal. I'm not sure but think it had R-22 in it. It wasn't an automotive guy, I doubt weather he even had 134A in his garage.

jack14r
09-24-2007, 07:28 PM
Thanks guys,I guess i will try to help him,I bet I will need to install a valve,I am pretty sure it will be r22.I told him it might be easier to just take the old one out and replace it with a new one,it's just a POS.

jonnie
09-26-2007, 12:09 AM
Semper Fi,

How Many Of Us Are Attending Pog Iv?