PDA

View Full Version : Geographic coordinate system

dalej
09-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Was just wondering how much interest there is on posting everyones coordinates on the map page. I want everyones coordinates on file so on my GPS I will know when I'm in the area of fellow poggers.

Also I was thinking that when camped in a rvpark I would hide something and just leave a coordinates on POG page so if some fellow pogger goes to the park they can look it up and add to the treasure. They have done this on another web site, so it's not new, just new to POG.

Mine is N40 22.510 W98 19.988

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Dale, I could go for that. Mine were posted long ago:p

Buried treasure. :D I hope you don't travel with a cat though. :eek:

lewpopp
09-22-2007, 09:39 PM
Jim, I still don't know what to do with the "ladder". Waste bypass and a ladder. I'm cornfused.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-23-2007, 07:05 AM
Way back when the GPS technology was coming into its own (that was the week before last) coordinates were commonly used.

Even the FAA has stopped asking for coordinates for airports when getting weather briefings to show how old that technology has become.

Some GPS units accept a phone number, but all now accept an address. Why not just load addresses in the GPS?

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-23-2007, 07:20 AM
In most cases and from a practical aspect the address would work, but there are locations that do not have an address as such.

dalej
09-23-2007, 07:26 AM
I have used address's on mine a couple of times this past year and were not at the exact location. When we get new gps units the newer address are in but in my case my gps is two years old now, the coordinates just work better in this growing and changing usa.

I use to live at Rt 2 Box 55 and now 17175 S showboat Blvd. and haven't moved.

What do you think of the treasure idea though? I will try it sometime.

rfoster
09-23-2007, 08:48 AM
:cool:Dale: In order for this to work I suggest CASH!!

Will Garner
09-23-2007, 08:50 AM
I sure hope this idea does not end up with a bus in someone's living room. Kinda like the commercial using GPS voice navigation for turn by turn directions... "Turn Left..(pause)(crash)..in 50 feet."