PDA

View Full Version : Renewing Insurance Time

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
09-19-2007, 11:54 AM
I have breezed thru some of the insurance postings from June 2007. All of this is new to me in dealing with insurance. Never had to do it myself. Time to learn. I see several companies mentioned and it seems as though "Thumb" has alot of good reviews from you all. I am in the process getting a quote from Explorer via our site with them. Will anyone suggest to me the "average annual milage" for someone who just goes to POG events and a few vacations a year? Open for more companies to explore. We now have our insurance with Gilbert RV insurance in Orlando, FL for $1,744 annually. Any suggestions?

dale farley
09-19-2007, 01:50 PM
Ed, I would think 8,000-10,000 is a good estimame for our type of usage. I currently have full coverage on my 93 plus some things I added such as "diminishing deductible and reduced glass deduutible. I pay $882 a year with Explorer.

JIM KELLER
09-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Ed, To help you with comparisons I am with National Interstate and have an annual premium of $ 1329.00. Includes coverage for increased Boost and Horse Power.

Ray Davis
09-19-2007, 02:49 PM
FYI, Explorer RV actually uses two different insurance carriers for their Prevost coverage. I believe I too am with National Interstate, even through I purchased through Explorer. My rates match almost exactly that with Dales, as we have similar year coaches.

Ray

Jerry Winchester
09-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Ray,

Have you checked on insurance for the XL2? The quote I had from both Explorer and a place in Oregon was "off the chart" more expensive that what I am paying and insuring a 2001 XL2 in Texas was quite a bit more than what my bus buying colleague in North Carolina was paying for a considerably newer and substantially more expensive coach thru the same company.

JPJ tried to get me to drink the kool-aid with the specialty RV insurance folks, but in the end it wasn't a little more expensive, it was a lot.

Just Plain Jeff
09-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Insurance seems to be like the weather. We all talk about it but no one really knows how it works.

What we found was that the premium amount is only a part of the story as not all policies are equal. Standard RV policies, if you have a loss on a Prevost will not result in a happy camper, as most of the RV insurance people don't have the loss/replacement experience as a specialty insuror. You could wind up at Camper's World with a claim based on a Winnebago (bad).

What we found was that National Interstate, which cut its chops on the fleet commercial bus business, does an outstanding job with claims. From the p-stuff board, Jon had noted several times how well the firm handled his huge loss and had the right people do the right job.

So in a nutshell, you get what you pay for, I guess.

Lastly: At Explorer, which sells the National Interstate policies, they insure to value. So, if you want/need a certain amount on your coach and have any documentation to support it you can do that. Some of the RV insurance people get a bit lost when they try to fix a value on a Prevost conversion. In our comparison, we were originally at GMAC and paid less at National Interstate for a better policy.

phorner
09-19-2007, 04:22 PM
I have a quote from National Interstate on an agreed value policy of 400K on our 2000 Liberty XLV of $2,680. This is also based on a 500K Combined Single Limit liability and full-timers coverage.

Didn't think this was too bad considering that we were only paying a few hundred less on the '03 Beaver, which would be considerably less expensive to replace.

I also think that 8K to 10K miles per year would be a good estimate.

Any better deals out there??

garyde
09-19-2007, 07:54 PM
My Insurance for my 03 is very high. Over 5k. When the insurance company rates a coach they want to know what the MSRP or original purchase price was , what your purchase price was , and then they evaluate coverage from there.

Jerry Winchester
09-19-2007, 10:17 PM
But Gary, I can see insurance being high for a Stud Muffin living in Santa Barbara. For a simple oilfield guy living in flyover country, it should be more sedate. Like Lew after HH.

Darl-Wilson
09-20-2007, 01:57 AM
Insured for 245k, 500k liability. Had 2 claims last yr totaling about 20k. Premium is $1,639, same as last year. I have had a great experience with this company. Good luck with your insurance shopping!

BTW, we have snow about 10 miles above our home on Mt. Rose highway in the Sierra's. Hope you folks in the south are enjoying the sun.

Note to Harry and Shirley, drive carefully!:eek:

Darl and Martha

jack14r
09-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Gary,My 05 Liberty has a stated value and the premium is less than $2,000.I think it is rated on your residence,CA cost must be greater than NC.

garyde
09-20-2007, 07:29 PM
Thanks Jack, I am going to look around a lttle bit. Gary

Denny
09-20-2007, 08:53 PM
My first year coverage on my bus was almost $2,300 from Explorer/National Interstate. Upon renewal it went to over $3,000 - no claims, speeding tickets, accidents, etc. nothing. Checked with Thumb Insurance and got the same coverage for $1,400/year. Explorer called me back and requoted it less than I paid my first year! It the "Let's Make A Deal" game for the insurance companies.

The moral of the story is shop around and do not take the first quote.

Ray Davis
09-20-2007, 09:57 PM
Where do I find this "Thumb" insurance?

Alek&Lucia
09-20-2007, 10:39 PM
www.thuminsurance.com
Phone: 1-800-866-0777 Fax: 616-957-1204
Scott should answer the phone, we just renewed our 1996 Country Coach with them. $350 less the Progressive.

Alek

Denny
09-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the correction on spelling of Thum

Jon Wehrenberg
09-21-2007, 07:40 AM
I'm not in the business of selling insurance, but from personal experience I know for sure that the insurance company must be experienced in dealing with Prevost conversions.

When our previous coach had the engine compartment fire Explorer/Interstate handled all the financial negotiations for the repairs and everything necessary to fully restore the coach was done without argument or debate. The final tab was in excess of $82,000 and they never hesitated along the way.

Just Plain Jeff
09-29-2007, 08:56 AM
Saw an insurance form from Gilbert RV. Coach was covered for $500K, paying $2936 a year, which seems pretty high for a standard RV policy. (Not a Prevost-level policy) Our last Interstate policy was half of that from Explorer.

DaveKlingensmith
10-22-2007, 04:11 PM
Hi Everyone! As I mentioned at POG IV we now have a total of 4 companies that we can place your insurance with: National Interstate, Great American, Drive by Progressive, and GMAC. We will work with you to place you with the best company for your situation.
There are a number of factors that are considered when rating your insurance: age, year of coach, state of registration/garaging, value of coach, insurance/credit score and many, many more. These factors can vary drastically from one individual to another. Insurance companies are trying very hard to rate your insurance based on your individual characteristics and not the characteristics of others. In summary you will all probably have a different rate.
Our job at Explorer Insurance Agency is to place your insurance with the best insurance company for your individual needs. That may be claims, price, agent and so on. Remember, we are an agent, we work for you. We do not set the prices we only try to work with what the insurance companies give us.
Those of you that attended my brief, but information packed presentation in Branson know about the new POG Members Insurance Services program that we launched this month. Anyone who did not attend please call, or email me and I will send you the powerpoint outlining the new program.

I am your personal representative and I encourage all of you to contact me with questions.

Dave Klingensmith - Specialty Agent
Explorer Insurance Agency
david.klingensmith@explorerrv.com
(888)774-6778