PDA

View Full Version : Dash Lights

dale farley
09-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Can anyone tell me if the dash light bulbs are 12V or 24V? I am referring to the lights such as "Check Engine, Battery, etc. Also, is there a part number on them, and can they be purchased at an automotive store or are they specific to Prevost or the converter?

One more thing; is there an easy way to get the bulbs out of their sockets. I am using a pair of hemostats with tape around the ends so as not to break the bulbs, but it is not really working.

wrongagain
09-18-2007, 10:23 PM
I dont have the voltage answer but, for the hemostats I have the answer.
If you can locate a pair of loop end hemostats, "instead of straight end" and use a product called PLASTI DIP you can dip the ends until you get the thickness of rubber you want and it is way better than the tape.
the product is a grippy rubber, it comes in a liquid or a spray.

dale farley
09-18-2007, 10:41 PM
Ed, I didn't know they made loop-end hemostats, so I will see if I can find some. I am familiar with the Plasti Dip.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-19-2007, 06:53 AM
Dale, they are likely to be 24 on your coach. Just verify it with your multimeter.

truk4u
09-19-2007, 08:32 AM
Dale,

I changed out all the rocker and instrument bulbs in my Marathon to 12v except for the warning lights. If I recall, they are 24 except for 2 or 3 like the check engine light and they are 12v working with the transmission and engine computers.

Like Jon said, check it with a meter first. If you need 24v mini bulbs, don't buy any, I have a bunch I removed and you can have them at POG4.

Alek&Lucia
09-19-2007, 08:36 AM
In my '96 Country Coach they are 12V

dale farley
09-19-2007, 09:51 AM
Before I sent the post last night, I went in the bus and pulled one of the bulbs to check the voltage. Just getting the bulb out was an ordeal in itself. But for some reason, I couldn't get a reading on my volt meter.

As I think about it this morning, I realize that by the time I got the meter probes positioned in the socket, the light had probably gone out so there was no voltage. I will try again today.

Are these bulbs normally available at local auto or camper stores?

Loc
09-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Dale,

In my 92, the dash lights / rocker lights are 24v.

mike kerley
09-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Our93 has 12 volt bulbs.

I use a piece of shrink tubing, sold at electrical supply stores or radio shack. pick the right size and slide it over the bulb and pull. Dont leave it on the bulb when its active unless you want a really dim light instead of a just kinda dim light. The clear vinyl tubing used in water systems might work well also if its not to fat.

MIke

dale farley
09-19-2007, 01:05 PM
My Marathon book says I have 24V in everything except the Check Engine and Stop Engine, and those 2 are 12 V.

Tom, If you have some extra 24V, I will be glad to buy them from you at Branson. Thanks.

wrongagain
09-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Dale,
Here you go, second pair down.

http://www.crloo.com/Products/Hand_Tools___Supplies/Hand_Tools_12/hand_tools_12.html

truk4u
09-19-2007, 08:22 PM
Dale,

I was pretty sure they were 24 except for the check and stop engine. The bulbs are yours at Branson.

lewpopp
09-19-2007, 09:57 PM
Truk, you are the most benevolent person I have ever known. I seem to go thru hell everytime I needed those bulbs so purchased a motherload and they are relatively expensive. Keep up the good work. If someone wants to know where I got them, I'll look up the invoice

dale farley
09-19-2007, 10:27 PM
Truk, Thanks for the offer of the 24V bulbs. I'll look you up at Bronson. I went to a camper place this evening and picked up some of the 12V, but they didn't have any of the 24V. I went back by Wal-Mart and realized they had numerous versions of the 12V, but again no 24V.

Ed, Thanks for the link. I am going to order a pair of the hemostats.