PDA

View Full Version : straight 40-weight motor oil

ajhaig
09-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Where can we buy it? We're on the road (heading west through Iowa), are there any truck stops that generally keep it in stock (the Flying J that we stopped at didn't carry it)? Nothing urgent, would just like to pick some up.

Thanks,

AJ

dalej
09-17-2007, 04:33 PM
AJ, When you get to a fair size town, look in the yellow pages for oil dealers. Then ask for the right oil. A town of 25,000 or bigger should sell oil.

bill&jody
09-17-2007, 04:39 PM
aj
we tried EVERYWHERE from the east coast last summer to utah and the southwest this summer. FINALLY found it at a place called Hartley Oil Co. in a little town called washington court house in OH. most of their accounts seemed to be commercial. but they were happy to sell the gallon containers (instead of the 50 gal drums!) at about $9.00/gal. said they always have it in their warehouse and could get it for us any time. ummmmmm don't think it somewhere we will be spending much time . . . just passing through.
my point is that you might try a fuel dealer near home. we also found out a napa auto place in titusville, FL said they would be happy to order it for us.
good luck,
jody

dalej
09-17-2007, 04:40 PM
AJ, I went out and looked at my 55 barrel and it is Mobil Delvac 1640. 1340 was the old number.

Jerry Winchester
09-17-2007, 05:25 PM
Just find or call the closest Detroit Diesel dealer and they either have it or can tell you where to get it locally.

Ray Davis
09-17-2007, 05:27 PM
I have been able to find 40wt oil at most major auto stores. Granted, they only sell the quart bottles. But, in my case I change my oil at Prevost, and only need the extra to top off between oil changes (8v92 - nuff said!)

So far this has worked well for me. I generally by a case of oil, and that seems to last for around 10 miles (rough guess here)

Ray

dalej
09-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Ray, I don't like your tone of voice! It sounds like you don't even like 8v's anymore. Oh now that you bought a new toy you throw the old one away. ;)

wrongagain
09-17-2007, 06:11 PM
well,...
in my copy of the RVer's friend :D "just like the one in your coach" :D, it shows
the travel centers of america truck stops.
they claim to be 24 hr full service and repair.
there are 2 on rte 80 which is where I assume you are if you are in iowa heading west.

Ray Davis
09-17-2007, 06:53 PM
Ray, I don't like your tone of voice! It sounds like you don't even like 8v's anymore.

Wow! No slight intended. Actually, I prefer the more throaty growl of the 8V vs the S60. It just sounds better!

win42
09-17-2007, 07:09 PM
Ray: Too bad your not going to make POG4, Us two bus owners would be able to show you how to position your nose in the air, and with an S60 you have to tilt it a little higher. The truth is 2 bussers have a goal of becoming 1 bussers ASAP. Either engine does the job well. Just having a bus is what really counts.

Ray Davis
09-17-2007, 07:20 PM
Harry,

I guess I'm not going to be part of the two bus club after all. Steve Bennett sold my coach in less than a week! Well, to be fair, at this point I have a deposit, and buyer is flying out tomorrow to confirm. But, if all goes well, I'll actually be in the zero bus club until October 8th!! :eek:

Fingers, toes, earlobes (everything) is crossed in anticipation!

Ray

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Ray, do you get to keep you big blue dish, or whatever you call it?
You know the one that lets you work on the road. He! He!
So how are you going to see your son? Are you still planning to stop at Branson for one day?

ajhaig
09-17-2007, 10:21 PM
I found some straight 40-wt oil at a supply store and bought a few gallons. It is a private label product, should I use it?

I had no idea this stuff is rare!

What type of oil should I use in the generator?

Ray Davis
09-17-2007, 11:21 PM
Jim,

(not to hijack this thead, but ..) I'm still going to visit my son, but I'm flying direct to NY from here, and then we're flying from NY to Dallas on Monday when I'll see the new bus, and meet the seller.

Unfortunately, it's about a week out-of-sync to be able to make it to Branson. I'm hoping to make TN in the spring, and also NV if I can work both in.

Ray

ajhaig
09-18-2007, 12:14 AM
The oil I bought today looks like it meets the API Service Rating outlined by Detroit Diesel.

Ray - we covered 425 miles today... The children enjoyed watching "A Bug's Life"!

Joe Cannarozzi
09-18-2007, 02:24 AM
AJ use multi-grade in the gen. 15-40. I prefer Delvac.

Loc
09-18-2007, 08:17 AM
AJ,

I have found Rotella straight 40 weight oil at several Wal-Marts.

dalej
09-18-2007, 08:26 AM
Ray, It is all good, I should have used more smilies. I'm really happy for you.

Ray Davis
09-18-2007, 11:45 AM
Ray - we covered 425 miles today... The children enjoyed watching "A Bug's Life"!

AJ, glad to hear that we were able to help keep the kids entertained while you got in a good days drive!

So, are you loving it!!!??

Ray

ps: Dale. All's good!! :D:D:D:D

Jerry Winchester
09-18-2007, 12:22 PM
I think you can use the same oil in the generator and that's what I did so I didn't have to carry two kinds of oil.

Ray Davis
09-18-2007, 01:23 PM
I don't remember my generator using much oil if any. If you're doing your own maintenance, then perhaps this is an issue. But, in my case since I generally had the generator serviced with the engine service, I rarely had to add any oil, and as Jdbub indicated, I used the straight 40wt in mine too.

Ray

dalej
09-18-2007, 01:33 PM
For what its worth...I use a multi-grade oil 15-40 in the gen-set.

Jerry Winchester
09-18-2007, 07:47 PM
You know, I don't think I have ever added oil to my generator between oil changes either. It just didn't seem to use any/much.

And now I can't pull the dip stick out of the generator without first looking around to see if the PlastiKrakster is about with an umbrella.

What an a-hole.......:eek:

truk4u
09-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Beware oh great flame snuffer, the PlasticKrackster may be around the corner with a camera and a box of doughnuts as bait!:D

Joe Cannarozzi
09-18-2007, 09:43 PM
The southern folks are understandably getting by with straight 40 in the gen. but I sure wouldn't want to try to start mine in Chicago in Jan. with that in there.

IMHO I would also be very surprised if Kaboda would suggest that.

Jerry Winchester
09-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Joe,

Then how do you start an 8V92 with 40wt in Chicago in the winter? My generator is easier to start cold because it has glow plugs, but admittedly the coldest I have ever started it was 25 degrees. I know it is much colder further north, but will 40 wt make that much difference in the generator?

Joe Cannarozzi
09-19-2007, 02:57 PM
Wouldn't dare try starting the 8-V in those conditions without first plugging it in for at least a few hours. It is also preheated with an element in the cooling system that does a much better job of heating everything up compared to just heating up the air in the intake for 20 seconds.

How much difference? Down south not much.

win42
09-19-2007, 10:02 PM
You cold weather owners would be way ahead to fire up the webasto to heat the engine prior to starting. I talked to a Detroit Mechanic in Oregon and he told me the log trucks in his area would not think of starting a low temperature engine without first pre-heating it with the Webasto. I am talking about the main engine not the Generator. If cold weather for the generator was a problem, I would use Mobil 1 . We have to use it in gear boxes powering conveyors in -20 degree Ice Cream Plants.

Joe Cannarozzi
09-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Harry, accept the 8-V and the Cat, cause that holds 13 gal and goes 10000 every 6 to 8 weeks, I use 15-40 in everything and it's all Mobile 1. In the PU's I maintain 10000 mile intervals. They now have filters specifically for synthetic, don't use um, stickin with Fram. Debs PU 160000 and counting. I also use it in the mower and gen. Change those once a year weather it needs it or not. I suggested AJ use Delvac cause they are on the road and it is very available in fuel stops.

Found this today and thought I'd share it just for the southern folks.

http://www.busride.com/Page.cfm/PageID/8607

Ray Davis
09-20-2007, 04:37 PM
So, that is really interesting. He recommends using a single viscosity oil in ALL engines!

Joe Cannarozzi
09-20-2007, 06:00 PM
I remember when they first came out with multi-grade oil. I didn't trust it.