PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Batteries/ Over the Road A/C

garyde
09-15-2007, 08:58 PM
I spent the day pulling out my old chasis batteries and cleaning, scraping, painting and installing new batteries. The Coach came with Volvo 950 CCA Commercial Heavy Duty Batteries and I replaced them with matching Excide (920 CCA)Batteries. Charged the Coach for about an hour with my built in 24 volt 35 amp charger and the coach started right up.
While running the engine I turned on the A/C to cool the Bus. It ran for about 5 seconds and turned off. Now it will not run. I checked all CB's and Fuses I could find relating to the A/C system but no tripped or shorted fuses. Does anyone have any other places I should test or check before calling Prevost or Liberty?
'It seems every time I get one thing fixed something else stops working':rolleyes:

Jerry Winchester
09-15-2007, 09:34 PM
What part of it is not running? The evaporator blower is on and air comes out but it's not cold or the compressor won't come on or the condensor fan is inop?

Jon Wehrenberg
09-16-2007, 07:03 AM
Gary,

I had a weak CB on a previous coach and the big red CB that was at fault did not appear to the naked eye to have tripped, but when I put the Ohmeter on it it had. I had to get a tool to push it hard enough to reset is as my thumb didn't have the necessary force.

I would suggest you check for continuity. The electrical diagrams are on the Prevost site. My AC controls were in the top of the first bay. driver side but your coach may be layed out differently.

garyde
09-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Both Fans and Condensor do not work. So I have to believe its a main breaker or a control circuit. The dash air fan works, but no cool. I will do a little more investigating today. I was just wondering if my batteries were not up to full voltage would that trip a breaker or shut down the system. It seems plausible.

garyde
09-16-2007, 01:51 PM
I decided to go back to the Prevost Operating Manual. The OTR will not work if the batteries are not fully charged. So, having the engine on charging the batteries at 15 + volts, it decided to shut down. I will attempt to charge and equalize my batteries during the next few days.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-16-2007, 04:06 PM
Gary,

I was goingto suggest that because the condenser and evaporator motors pull a lot of juice. I would suggest you locate the breakers to see if any tripped if the AC does not kick on after the charge.