PDA

View Full Version : Problems with keyless entry pad

nrhareiner
09-15-2007, 08:18 AM
Good morning everyone,

suddenly the touch pad system to lock and unlock door not working. Appears to have electrical problem at pad since no numbers work, and no light comes on when press any number. Please not the remote locking is working correctly. I have already done the following:
1. checked circuit breaker in front run box, I think the number is 115. It is 8 amp. It appears to be fine, and was not thrown. I did reset it twice.
2. Swapped out all of the relays that are right next to the electronic module for the keyless system. In my coach right next to the air out for AC right passenger area.
3. Swapped out the relays in the front run box that were labeled referencing the keyless system.

Obviously this is a Prevost installed system since the electrical diagram is from Prevost not Vantare. Therefore am I correct in assuming powered from chassis batteries? If yes how do I turn off all power from chassis battery to recycle the brain in my coach? There does not seem to be master cutoff switch like by Liberty had installed.

As always thanks for any help.

Jerry Winchester
09-15-2007, 08:30 AM
Kim,

Almost every chassis power disconnect I have seen is somewhere in the engine compartment, usually above the chassis batteries or in that area.

The keyless entry system is the same one used on Ford vehicles, so that might be a source of info, but I think the next place to check would be in the wiring running thru the door to the pad itself. I'll bet the door panel has to come off for that one, but I don't know how they put it on in the Vantare. The Royale just had screws holding it on and I think the Marathon has those widgets that you have to have the long forked looking screwdriver to pop loose.

nrhareiner
09-15-2007, 12:39 PM
We need the widget type of tool for the removal of the door panel. I do know it is a ford product; however, I am hoping that recycling the power should work. I still am looking for the disconnect for the chassis batteries. I wonder why these things always happen after the converter closes for the weekend?

Jon Wehrenberg
09-15-2007, 03:33 PM
What computer gets recycled with the absence of coach power?

I do not know of any unless the XLII shells are different from the XL.

win42
09-15-2007, 03:35 PM
If you find the answer to your problem, please post. Our keypad unlocks the door but does not lock the door. We tried the combination left by the previous owner, but can't make it lock. I checked with my Lincoln Mercury dealer friend and no combination he offered would lock it. I guess if it's a F o r d ( fix or repair daily ) product you have to live with it or replace it.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Harry,

FWIW, to lock our coach with the keypad we simultaneously press the two buttons on the furthest right and the doors and bays lock.

To unlock we punch in the numbers (I'll show you your numbers) and after the door clicks unlocked we hit the last button pressed again and the bays unlock.

phorner
09-15-2007, 07:40 PM
Hope this helps.

On our Liberty, they unplugged the electric door lock "brain" whis was behind the panel under the dash in front of the passenger seat, which also has the heat/ac vent. Ours just pulled away.

The "brain" was a Ford part which was a white colored box with 2 wiring harnesses plugged into it.

Also, stamped on the outside of the box, the will be a label which shows the master code for that lock.

To reset ours, they simply unplugged both of the wiring harnesses and then plugged them back in.

Ours would take the master code only, but not allow any other "user" codes, which is what triggered the repair. This issue was finally resolved by also replacing the touch pad, which requires removal of the door panel.

Good luck....

nrhareiner
09-15-2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks for all the ideas, but so far no luck. I stated one wrong fact. I thought the light on the touchpad was also not working. In fact it is working if that helps.

Loc
09-16-2007, 05:02 PM
Harry,

Try pushing the last two number keys simultaneously to lock the door. That is how the key pad works for our door.

win42
09-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Loc: I'm pretty sure we tried that, but will give it another try when we pick it up next week.
Thanks All

gmcbuffalo
09-27-2007, 01:40 AM
Does anyone know if these keypad locks can be retro fitted on older coaches?
GregM

Omnitech
10-09-2007, 10:00 PM
The keyless brain still uses prevost-installed relays to lock and unlock the bay doors, so I would start there. If the keypad is lighted and at least one
function (lock or unlock) is working, you can go to the appropriate relays
and find out which one is not recieving a signal from the brain, or which one is failing to latch and activate the function you are missing. If you would like a drawing of the interface, I can send one to you. And get you the relay identification numbers (ie: r22) so you know where to go and test.

Nick

nrhareiner
10-10-2007, 06:03 AM
Thanks Nick,

I have replaced (actually swapped out) all of the relays. The problem appearers to be related to something getting wet in the rain. After the coach drys out, all of the functions work, then stop after the next rain. I do have the wiring diagram for the system.

bluevost
10-10-2007, 08:11 AM
Kim,

My brother-in-law has the same problem with his Beaver Plastikracker (sp?). Right after a rain or a washing, it won't operate correctly. I'm thinking it is in the keypad itself.

Ken

Jon Wehrenberg
10-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Kim,

Just out of curiosity have you checked to see if there any brains in the keypad? If the keypad is strictly a touch switch device and the codes are in the unit under the passenger side dash it might just be simpler to head down to the local Ford dealer and get a new one.

nrhareiner
10-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Hello Jon,

There are now brains to the . The plan is to get one from Ford. Ford has changed the configuration since 2001 (the year coach built). Old model ordered.

Thanks

Kim

nrhareiner
10-11-2007, 03:57 PM
Sorry there was mistake in above post. The wrong word is "now" it should have read there are NO brains in touchpad. Sorry

Jon Wehrenberg
10-11-2007, 05:26 PM
I suspect that will fix the issue. I looked at mine and got to thinking a bead of flowable sealant across the top might be a good idea. When you get into yours can you let us know if you would recommend that?