PDA

View Full Version : Mud Flaps

Jerry Winchester
03-30-2006, 06:39 PM
After our recent trip to Memphis, there was plenty of gunk on our white toad. It washed off okay, but after looking at some of the coaches on the Liberty website, I noticed some of them were equipped with a full width flap across the back, close to the bumper. They also had the standard flaps behind the duals and in behind the tag.

Does anyone have any experience with one of these and can you tell me if they do a better job of cutting down on the road grime on the toad?

I thought they looked a little SOB, but after seeing the ones on the Liberty, I wasn't so sure.

And Mike or Lew can tell me if they are fashion faux paus :eek:

Opps I almost forgot; we can do pictures here :D

http://www.libertycoach.com/images/newused/2101608.jpg

http://www.libertycoach.com/images/newused/P6290950_LARGE.jpg

Jon Wehrenberg
03-30-2006, 09:05 PM
I had one on my coaches (both) and removed them because they just do not handle transitions from level to a slope. My driveway is an extreme example, but if you have to back up a slope and the transition is steep the flap is toast. Same thing coming down a slope to level, especially coming down a curb cut.

When I had the flap on it didn't seem any different than with it off. The area directly behind the coach is a huge negative pressure area so any airborne crud gets sucked in there and if it doesn't stick on your fancy paint job on the rear of the bus, it ends up on the toad. In case you doubt my comment about it being a negative pressure area, find a coach speeding down the interstate and slip in behind him with your car. I mean right tight in behind him, like 3 or 4 feet off his bumper. You will be able to lift your foot almost completely off the gas.

lewpopp
03-30-2006, 09:48 PM
Oh Boy, Jon..I can't wait to get on the road with my car and pull up into the Geoff Gordon area so I can take my foot off of the gas. We know you are right, but don't tell these goons to do it. PHEW, I am going out tomorrow and look for a bus on 95 and tailgate him. I hope he's not playing with himself or I'm toast right off the bat.

I had the coach in the air right after I bought it and someone told me to shorten the coachwide flap in the back to just overlap the rear wheel areas. It would possibly improve muleage and also let more air to the engine. It made sense to me and I did it and now I'm dumping fuel out every 200 miles.:D

ken&ellen
04-03-2006, 09:32 PM
Lew, Ellen & I are leaving for Daytona. If you get this message prior to our arrival ....wait until Friday to contact us. Our cell is 757 635-8281. Looking forward to meeting you. I hope they resolve the Elmiria Prison lockdown! Ken

lewpopp
04-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Ken...You have a good menory remembering that we also are going to Daytona, but not until Friday. I hope to draft all the way. Yepper, all the way. Like so much bologna. I'll travel at about 63 all the way. I'll be in the handicapped area.

I'm a common person. No wings on my shoulders or in my brain. Just plain ol' Lew. My dog is smarter that I am.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-03-2006, 09:56 PM
"I'm a common person. No wings on my shoulders or in my brain. Just plain ol' Lew. My dog is smarter that I am."

Remind me to never try horse trading with you Lew. You may fool some of the folks with that "aw shucks" stuff, but not ole Jon.;)

Ben
04-03-2006, 10:18 PM
I just found out about the Good Sams Rally in Daytona. I'm currently in FL and trying to figure out if I should attend. It looks like they only have dry camping sites left.

How many POGers are going to be there?

Just Plain Jeff
04-11-2006, 05:05 PM
Yesterday I put on a coach-wide flap on our SOB that had been 'poorly' removed. It had originally been put on with the use of 3/16" self tapping screws up through the frame.

After a lot of thought, I decided to put the thing on the right way.

Off to the store, got some #8, 1/4 x 20 bolts and a tap. Redrilled the holes with a number 7 drill (13/64 for those who are interested). Helen and I got under the coach, clamped the flap assembly up, put on some red Locktite and put the Heavy Duty Milwaukee to 'er.

Turned out to be a pretty nifty operation overall.

So even the mechanically disinclined can do stuff.

Even though I haven't driven the coach since I put it on, the installation was better than the original.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of the Heavy Duty Milwaukee Club

Jerry Winchester
04-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Does Milwaulkee make a digital camera so you can make some heavy duty photos and post them on this heavy duty site so those mallet heads that only learn visually can learn of your power tool prowess?

Just Plain Jeff
04-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Milwaukee not make camera.

Milwaukee make tools.

You see work under coach in couple weeks in person.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Just a Heavy Duty Kind of Guy

lewpopp
04-11-2006, 09:51 PM
I would rather see you under the coach and have a picture of you doing it, otherwise Helen probably did it and we will have no proof at the rally.