PDA

View Full Version : Ashville, NC

Stelan73
09-07-2007, 05:15 PM
We're heading to Ashville, NC next week for a little R&R. Big Rig Best Bets lists a number of campgrounds but would like to know if any POG members have any recommendations. Thanks.

Ray Davis
09-07-2007, 05:45 PM
I'm not familiar with that part of the country, but when exploring unknown sites, I find it intersting to read the park reviews at

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

Ray

rmboies
09-07-2007, 09:57 PM
We're heading to Ashville, NC next week for a little R&R. Big Rig Best Bets lists a number of campgrounds but would like to know if any POG members have any recommendations. Thanks.

Yes, I have a suggestion. The Parliament rally was held at Bear Creek RV Park

http://www.ashevillebearcreek.com/

It is right off the interstate tucked in the foothills. If you keep up with the POG board you may remember that we met JDUB, Mango, Fast Roger, and Loc there last month when JDUB was headed home with his new Marathon. This is a beautiful part of the country and you should enjoy your stay. Give us a call if you would like to meet up!

Debi

tdelorme
09-08-2007, 08:04 AM
While in Ashville, don't miss the Farmer's Market. As good as it gets for fresh local produce. http://www.agr.state.nc.us/markets/facilities/markets/asheville/index.htm
If the wife is a knitter (like mine) there is a upscale knit shop there, Yarn Paradise. www.yarnparadise.com

rmboies
09-08-2007, 08:31 AM
While in Ashville, don't miss the Farmer's Market. As good as it gets for fresh local produce. ttp://www.agr.state.nc.us/markets/facilities/markets/asheville/index.htm If the wife is a knitter (like mine) there is a upscale knit shop there, Yarn Paradise. www.yarnparadise.com

which happens to be very close to Bear Creek RV park:D If you have never been to the Biltmore it is an experience in and of itself. Amazing what people were able to build during that time period! They also have a nice winery:rolleyes:

http://www.biltmore.com/visit/

"Be inspired by the relaxed elegance of George and Edith Vanderbilt's 250-room family home and country retreat in Asheville, NC. Discover original art from masters such as Renoir, magnificent 16th-century tapestries, Napoleon's chess set, a library with 10,000 volumes, a Banquet Hall with a 70-foot ceiling, 65 fireplaces, an indoor pool, bowling alley, and priceless antiques. Opened to friends on Christmas Eve 1895, this French Renaissance chateáu remains America's largest privately owned home."

Joe Cannarozzi
09-08-2007, 10:00 AM
A home built before income-taxes.

We went, at first thought admission was a little steep. Worth every penny.

Ray Davis
09-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Debi,

So, I'm curious. I went back and looked at the pictures from the taco tour, and it looks like a beautiful place.

I then went and read reviews at http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/North_Carolina/Asheville.html

That was interesting. Several scathing comments, and several good. Hard to know what to expect? Review mentions narrow winding road entrance. I guess it really wasn't all that bad?

Thanks!
Ray

rmboies
09-08-2007, 12:19 PM
Debi,

So, I'm curious. I went back and looked at the pictures from the taco tour, and it looks like a beautiful place.
I then went and read reviews at http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/North_Carolina/Asheville.html
That was interesting. Several scathing comments, and several good. Hard to know what to expect? Review mentions narrow winding road entrance. I guess it really wasn't all that bad?
Thanks!
Ray

Ray, the road to the is a little winding but not switch back or steep. The Parliament rally had about 40 some coaches there and we all survived without injury to ourselves or to our coaches. They do not have pull through slots so you have to know how to navigate and back up. If you are not comfortable steering your coach on a narrow road for a 1/2 mile or backing up, then I guess you need to find the closest Wal-mart :-) All the slots are paved and some are easier to back into then others. You need to tell them if you have slides because some sites better accomodate the slides. It is clean, has a nice pool, meeting room, showers, etc. Good 50 amp power as well. The setting, the view and options of things to do and see in Asheville are worth it, at least to us. Maybe Loc, JDUB and Mango will chime in. Jerry made his back up in one try :D

Just Plain Jeff
09-08-2007, 01:58 PM
We had a great time at the campground noted. Don't always believe everything you read about campgrounds in the guides. Someone may have just been having a bad day.

We were there with Debi and Bob-00 at the Parliament Travel Club rally and the facilities were great. (Both in 45-footers). The Ashville area is a terrific tourist area. They took us on a MangoBus to a motorcycle museum, then off to the Liberty Summer Home (Biltmore) and local shops and eateries. The 'road' to the Biltmore, now there is a narrow road.

It was a wonderful rally, except that Debi & Bob-00 had us parked nearby.

There goes the neighborhood.

Stelan73
09-08-2007, 02:17 PM
We'll give Bear Creek a try and be there 9/17-19. If anyone is around give us a call (540 270 2131). Thanks for the help.

Steve

merle&louise
07-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Has anyone stayed at Campfire Lodgings in Asheville?

We are planning a trip to Biltmore in September, and it seems like a nice place.

travelite
07-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Tuga, I haven't been to Campfire Lodgings but a friend on the Wanderlodge Owners Group has, here's what he had to say:

"I need to tell you about this campground we went to. It's called Campfire Lodgings. This is one of the best places. It takes a little work to get to because it is located on top of a small mountain, but after US 33 this was a piece of cake! The campground facility and the view was worth it! If you get one of the premium sites you don't park next to each other but end to end, with your patio overlooking the valley below and the mountains on the other side. Spectacular!"

Sid Tuls
07-27-2011, 10:59 PM
David, Do you know Dan Jensen? I met him this year in Palm Desert and he is connected with Blue Birds. Just wondering:-)

travelite
07-27-2011, 11:15 PM
Hi Sid,

Indeed I do. I've met Dan on a couple of occasions, Rally in the Valley, Bird's Nest at the Wanderlodge factory in Fort Valley, Ga, back when Wanderlodge was still in business. Real nice folks, he and his lovely wife. We Wanderlodge owners are a pretty small family. Dan's been the President of the FMCA Blue Bird Chapter for a couple of years now. He really turned things around during his tenure, especially considering the lack of factory support. Great guy! :)

Woody
07-28-2011, 06:28 AM
Has anyone stayed at Campfire Lodgings in Asheville?

We are planning a trip to Biltmore in September, and it seems like a nice place.

Tuga - we have stayed there, the first 4 sites on your right have unobstructed views of the valley and the Blue ridge mountains.

Tip - disconnect your toad before climbing this one lane road to the campground.
You will enjoy but reserve well in advance.

Lots # 3 & 4 are the best

merle&louise
07-28-2011, 07:47 AM
David & Woody,

Thanks for the replies, I will make our reservation today. Campfire Lodgings had a good review in RVReviews.com but, I always like to check with the brain trust first. Karen loves Asheville and Biltmore; she can't wait to get there. We will be going in the middle of September.

SteveCooper
07-28-2011, 07:24 PM
One of our favorite towns. Make sure you go to the farmers market for fresh produce.

charlesebrownjr
07-28-2011, 07:40 PM
When you go to the farmers market, as you should, be sure and buy some of the Amish butter they will have there. There is no other to compare to!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cut mine up and put in zip locks and froze it. Still eating on it.
Biltmore is a must and be sure to visit their pastry shop just to the right of the front entrance to the main house. Wear elastic waisted pants:-))

merle&louise
07-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Steve & Charles,

We will be sure to do the farmer's market. I'll remember about the Amish butter. We have been to Biltmore twice before, but Louise just loves the place. I like it too, but I would rather attend a POG rally. Guess I'll have to wait until October!

Thanks for the posts!