PDA

View Full Version : 1995 Liberty EL 40: Setting the rack (rails)

Jim_Scoggins
09-06-2007, 11:04 AM
1995 Liberty (94 Prevost hull).

The coach has a little over 100000 mi on it and the sevice is due on the engine--setting the rack. I am told there is a hatch that is accessed from the inside of the coach in order to be able to easily take the valve cover off.

The coach has a cross queen and there are cabinets at the far rear of the coach. Some disassembly of this cabinet may be required --I am hoping removal of a center section of drawers is all that will be required.

Does anyone have any specifics of the exact location of this hatch--better yet, some pictures. Best of all worlds would be for someone to tell me it is not necessary to go down from the top. Several gurus have told me it is necessary to do that but one can always hope.

Just want to steal someones play book on this folks. I can get the engine work done by a highly qualified and meticulous mech so I would like to have full access to the engine for him--I will be the gofer.

Still don't have my coach here to fiddle with as it is still at Parliament for it's retro fit--planning to do this in the winter.

Thanks,

dalej
09-06-2007, 12:02 PM
Jim,

Did the Detroit guy tell you they needed to go thru the hatch? On ours the hatch will let you to the air compressor and the generator and the hoses and stuff above the transmission. Ask for sure before you tear the inside apart.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Jim,

To access your engine I believe Liberty set the center drawer sections up so they can be disassembled and removed, giving you an opening to access the engine cover.

This was discussed at a Liberty rally and it was in the context that Liberty has an arrangement with the local DD folks so that Liberty will take everything apart, the DD techs will come to Liberty and do the work and Liberty will reassemble everything.

It was described as several hours of disassembly and then an equal time to reassemble.

I have some observations....

If the engine is running good do you really need the grief? The last time I got into detailed conversations with DD about this the technicians said if it is running good, leave it alone. I would want to talk to experts and verify the need before I wanted to go through the expense or trouble, and risk greasy marks in my coach.

My second thought if it is deemed a worthwhile thing to do is to turn it over to Liberty and spend the bucks. Unlike the 8V92 any work on the head of the Series 60 is going to involve access from the interior and the removal of the interior engine cover and the only way I can be sure my coach will remain free of stains and the job will be done right is if Liberty is there exercising control.

dalej
09-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Jon, am I wrong in assuming that he has a 8v. I'm with you on if its running good, just leave it alone.

To many so called techs just think its the thing to do, since they have heard that about 8v's

Jim_Scoggins
09-06-2007, 02:08 PM
All:
Sorry. I should have been specific. It is a series 60.

dalej
09-06-2007, 03:38 PM
I'm out! don't know anything about 60 series execpt they are not John Deere green!

Joe Cannarozzi
09-06-2007, 05:07 PM
I went 550,000 on a straight 6, 4-stroke diesel before I installed new injectors and checked valve adjustment and the only noticeable difference was I lost 50 rpm.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Dale, the Series 60 is shoehorned into the chassis. Unlike the 8V it is higher and longer so it literally is tight to the underside of the floor and extends under it far enough so if the valve cover needs to come off for service the rear interior has to come out.

You are right about the 8V and being able to do all kinds of work on it without opening the floor in the bedroom.

Easy mistake to make about which engine Jim has. He has a 40' coach and his model year I think was the transition year that may have had both engines. I think the 45 foot coaches preceded the 40's with the changeover.

Toy Box
09-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Runs good? starts very quickly? doesn't smoke? If the answer to these is yes, don't even think about opening it up. We do all DD for a living...FWIW

Jon Wehrenberg
09-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Jim,

This free and unanimous advice just paid for the POG membership. And it kept greasy fingerprints off your carpet.

I think you owe us big time, right guys???

Jim_Scoggins
09-06-2007, 10:15 PM
Joe, Toy Box
Runs good, starts quick, no smoke.
Jon, all:
Being intuitively lazy, I will gladly buy you all six rounds of your favorite spirit in appreciation of all the work you saved me!

Will even include dalej, who, by claiming lack of knowledge, cut and ran.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-07-2007, 07:02 AM
Stick with us Jim. We are refining our method of providing answers. If I did not know the answer I just made something up. Now if I don't know the answer I still make something up, but I make up an answer you want to hear.

Jim_Scoggins
09-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Just for information. Here is some info from some kind folks from the other forum:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coloradobus
Member # 153

Member Rated:
posted September 06, 2007 11:51
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jim,

On our first bus, a 1999 shell called 2001 Country Coach with 2 HWH slides, we pulled the dresser drawers out and saw some screws that held an insert that the drawers slid into. Once removing that insert, we were able to access the floor panal underneath the insert to get at the valve cover.You may have to pull come carpet as well. We did have to take the mattress off the bed for more elbow room. You may have it easier not having a slide..

[ September 06, 2007, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: Coloradobus ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

steamguy56
Member # 1880

Rate Member posted September 08, 2007 13:11
Jim
was in this area this a.m. the hatch is 40" from the left, 37" from the right. Revealing the 21" wide x 30" long hatch. When it was opened 3/4 of valve cover in plan view. This is on my 1997 Le Mirage 45.... I just desided to build the bed length wise. hope this helps Danny.

Joe Cannarozzi
09-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Jim

We have a rear kitchen and bath.

How is this for easy access. Takes about 10 min. This is what it is configured like if you should ever have to get to it.

The kitchen sink is the back of the bus.

The hatch is L-shaped it goes up the back about 6 inches. 3 screws on the floor 3 more on the back.

The wall between the kitchen and bath was tongue and grooved for hatch removal.