PDA

View Full Version : Motor oil/windshield washer fluid

ajhaig
09-05-2007, 07:55 AM
What type of motor oil should be used in a 1991?

Where do you refill the windshield washer fluid?

Thanks.

Jerry Winchester
09-05-2007, 08:21 AM
AJ,

The washer fluid tank is behind the lower door at the front driver side of the coach.

As to the oil, Detroit Diesel recommends a single weight oil for two cycle diesel engines such as Chevron Delo 100 or 400 40 wt. There are several brands that meet the spec, but none of them are multi grade.

Loc
09-05-2007, 08:33 AM
AJ,

According to the Detroit Diesel website the two-stroke Detroits should only use straight 40 weight oil. Here is a link to the Detroit Diesel publication for Lubricating Oil, Fuel and Filters:

http://www.detroitdiesel.com/support/manuals/lubricants_fuels_coolants/7se270.pdf

The information regarding two-stroke engines starts on page 2-2.

Just a note, not all straight 40 weight oil meets the Detroit Diesel specifications. Specifically the Delo 400 straight 40 weight oil is not recommended for use in Detroit two-stroke engines. Delo 100 does meet the specifications. The only big difference that I could tell between the Delo 400 and the Delo 100 is the Sulfated Ash content which the specifications require to be less than 1.0.

I generally use oil purchased from my local Detroit Diesel shop which is manufactured by ExxonMobil. I think it is equivalent to the old Delvac 1240 which I can no longer find. If I remember correctly Rotella straight 40 weight also meets the specs.

Loc

dalej
09-05-2007, 09:16 AM
Here is a link to some discussion on this topic. http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?t=1022

wrongagain
09-05-2007, 05:31 PM
A.J.,
around here the stores that carry delo 100 straight 40w are few and far between.
the only reliable source I have found was west marine.
www.westmarine.com
they also have stores local to us, which is good since the shipping rate is out of control, almost as much as the items you buy.
just click on the store locator button.
good luck.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-05-2007, 06:58 PM
AJ,

If you plan on changing your own oil see if you can find an oil distributor. They sell to anybody and whether you get Mobil, or Pennzoil or any other brand the critical thing is it must be straight 40 weight and must meet the Detroit spec found on the oil reservoir tank. As the 8V92 get less common one source that will always have it is a Detroit Diesel dealer but they tend to be a little pricey.