PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your coach

jack14r
09-04-2007, 09:06 PM
I have my coach in a heated and cooled metal building with 50 amp supply,I store my coach with all 4 cruise airs on 74,water heater on,water pump on,is this right or wrong?Jack

truk4u
09-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Jack,

The only downside I see from experience is if you spring a water leak or a fitting breaks, your going to pump all the water out of the tank and if it's inside, it could be a nightmare. Also, if the water is all pumped out, the pump may continue to run burning up the motor and the hot water tank elements are still going to be cooking.

I had a water line break onetime while sitting next to the Coach in a lawn chair and before I could get it all cut off, the bay carpets were soaked. I never leave the Coach with the water pump on and I always turn off the city water if hooked up.

Darl-Wilson
09-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Jack, as a former RV dealer I can make some generic recommendations but nothing specific to the Prevost as I am new to this complex vehicle. First, why do you have the HW heater and the water pump on? If you were to develop a leak in the HW heater or any of the water lines the pump would come on automaticaly and create a big mess and maybe damage your coach. There are other problems that could happen with the HW heater in addition to the cost of heating the water. The tank is aluminum and often develop pinhole leaks as a result of corrosion. These heaters seem to have a short recovery time so leaving them on isn't going to save you much time when you get ready to hit the road.

Considering that you have a heated and cooled building I can't see any reason to leave anything on with the exception of switches that maintain the computer(s) and keep the batteries charged. POGer Jon W. and/or Nick Hessler of Centurion would be good sources of what to leave on while the coach is idle for extended periods of time. Nick recently posted information that would answer most of your questions.
Good Luck!:)
Darl

jack14r
09-04-2007, 09:53 PM
I have been wondering about the water pump,I sometimes do a few loads of laundry after we return from a trip,I agree that it is best if water pump and heater are off.The cruise airs don't run much but they help keep the humidity low during storage.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-05-2007, 07:00 AM
I leave the coach plugged into shore power and the inverters and battery chargers for the house turned on 100% of the time. In fact since I got the coach three years ago and it had new batteries the inverters and house chargers (through the inverters) have never been shut off.

I do not leave the HW or the water pump on.

I do leave the aux compressor on.

I do not shut off the bus master switches, but I know from experience I have no phantom or parasitic loads so the batteries do not run down.

I lower the coach just because it makes it easier for my wife to get in and out of it. The only time we run heat or cruise airs is if we are working in the coach and it is uncomfortable inside it.

Dale J has a procedure he uses that I really like and may end up doing. He raises the coach, supports it at the support points with stands he fabricated for that purpose and then he dumps the air in the suspension taking most if not all the weight off the tires. I like that on several different levels.

jack14r
09-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Jon,thanks for the info,I probably won't go to the extreme that dale has but it makes sense.I have dry air in the building so I hook up to it instead of using the coach compressor,I have a check valve inline so it will not leak down over night.We use this building everyday and I check on the coach almost daily,right now I am always doing something to the coach and have left the cruise airs on but I think I will turn them off.Thanks again.Jack

dalej
09-05-2007, 11:29 AM
jack14r,

Your my kind of bus owner, check on it almost daily. ;)

Jon Wehrenberg
09-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Jack,

When I got my coach the aux compressor cycled far too often so I spent some time isolating and repairing the leaks. The compressor went from once or twice an hour to where we might hear it once a day.

Like you I left the compressor off, but found that by leaving it on it is my clue to problems. If I am working in the garage, which is often and I do not hear the compressor I know things are OK. If I was hooked up to shop air it would just not be noticed by me.

It is beneficial to keep the air systems in the bus pressurized. I seem to be having less leaks now than when I would just shut everything down and let the pressure slowly bleed off.

MangoMike
09-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Jack,

I leave the the galley A/C on set at 78 mainly to keep the humidity in check. I have a seperate elecrtric meter for the bus and burn about 40 kilowatt hours a day.

Mike

Jerry Winchester
09-05-2007, 07:30 PM
What is the conversion rate for KWH to Jerked Chicken?