PDA

View Full Version : Zip Dee Lateral Arm Awnings

nrhareiner
08-31-2007, 11:49 PM
Good evening everyone,

Well tried to close the electric zip dee awning tonight. Here motor humming, but no movement. Tried to check if remote not working, and the wired switch has same result. I know there is manual override, but found out no owner's manual. Zip Dee web site also has no manual on line.

Storm coming in tomorrow (Saturday) so any help appreciated. If someone has manual and can post method of closing awning without using motor please help.

I do not have any crank for awning, and I do not see any place crank would fit.

The Zip Dee site mentions a method of manual override, but no description of how.

This awning was added just after we purchased coach. Vantare did job and will try nad call them first thing in the AM.

thank you

rbeecher
09-01-2007, 12:10 AM
Kim,

I sent you a PM on this.

Richard Beecher

garyde
09-01-2007, 01:08 AM
Hi Kim. You did not mention if the Zip Dee was electric and air. Mine has a control box located in the 3rd bay of passenger side with the OTR condensor and fan coils. The control box has manual switching as well as a reset trip button.

nrhareiner
09-01-2007, 06:30 AM
Hello Gary,

Mine is just electric, and not the type put on by Liberty. The control box for the wind sensor etc is in bedroom. There is no reset switch present. We have two awnings, one front and one rear. The rear is working fine. I can hear the motor whining, but no motion.

Kim

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Kim, your description of the situation seems to point to a loose coupling or drive gear between the motor and the awning reel. The motor is running and the lack of motion is the giveaway.

It is possible that there is a slipping clutch and or a disengaged dog drive that has been disconnected, thereby putting the reel in a free mode.

Look at the assembly and try to pinpoint where the motor noise is coming from. That will likely be the area where the clutch or drive are located. Examine closely for any covered openings concealing a button or lever to push, pull, or slide, for manual operation.

This isn't much but with a storm coming I gave it a shot. Good luck:)

rbeecher
09-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Kim,

Just wondering if you were able to reach Brent? Let me know if I need to call him to help out, I'd be happy to.

My cell is 954-292-5786.

Richard Beecher

nrhareiner
09-01-2007, 04:55 PM
I did try to reach him this AM. I left message on cell phone number you gav e me. Awaiting reply, but with holiday weekend could be difficult.

Kim

nrhareiner
09-01-2007, 04:58 PM
thanks Jim,

I borrowed the tool to do manual closing. However, when up on roof found out the the holes that should line up do not. Therefore I think am struck until Tuesday when I can get help to disassemble top of box on roof (it is as long as awning). Becausee of length not able to do alone.

thanks for help.

Kim

rbeecher
09-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Kim,

I just read your reply and have a call into Brent.

Hope you can get it figured out. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Richard Beecher
96 Vogue XL 40
FOR SALE!

Jon Wehrenberg
09-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Kim,

Is this a topic for a seminar or mini seminar at one of the rallies?

There are certain things that are critical for owners to know for emergency purposes. I think as more coaches get the later model awnings and have slides maybe someone with some knowledge of these things can address emergency awning and slide retraction as two examples. There may be more.

Joe Cannarozzi
09-02-2007, 08:53 AM
I am wondering what percentage of new conversions still have manual awnings available if any?

Also these automatic jobs, can you adjust the angle on them?

Jon Wehrenberg
09-02-2007, 12:05 PM
I don't believe any of the current conversions use the manual awnings. They are cantilevered to keep the side of the coach clean and free of attachments. While the improvement to the appearance is great there does have to be a provision for retraction.

nrhareiner
09-02-2007, 02:14 PM
I agree Jon,

I have the correct tool. Have now been on roof 3 times. I also borrowed another tool. None of them worked. Now must find someone to come and REMOVE awning so that I can travel.

This would be good seminar for all of us since there must be other emergency things I could do to get out of this problem.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Kim, take notes and pictures for a future seminar.

These things can get so complicated sometimes we never know enough to ask the questions that seem so obvious when we are in trouble. You are breaking new ground here and I hope something good can come of it.

I know slide owners have run into similar situations that could be shared as well.

garyde
09-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Hi Kim. I know you have probably already tried everything under the sun but have you turned off the circuit to the awning and turned back on. Sometimes a reset will put the motor back in itscorrect orientation. Also, have you attempted extending out some more before retracting? It could be you have a broken pin and nothing will help but I thought of those two ideas. The question becomes if the motor is spinning what is holding the awning out since it is spring tensioned in the out position.

Darl-Wilson
09-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Kim, I had a problem with my awning at Kerrville that was temporarily fixed by Nick Hessler of Centurion. He simply removed the pin from the drive or spring end of the awning and rolled it up by hand and secured it with an extra-large strap that is used for electrical wires. My awning was only 17'. Nick rolled it with the one end attached to the arm that does not have to drive, spring, or motor. One end should free-wheel on most awnings. The best thing would be to have a helper close the awning as it is rolled and then hold in in place while the pin is being replaced and the strap being attached. The nylon strap might be a bit of a problem but most Walmarts have them along with most automotive stores. If you can't find them long enough they can be locked together. Put 2 or 3 on each end of the awning for insurance while you are motoring along the highway. Mine are still in place as the parts for my awning are on order. I left Kerrville and went to San Antonio, Las Vegas, and then home in Reno. Since then we have drove the coach over 3,000 miles and these straps haven't budged. If you want you can use other types of strap, like the belt-type adjustables and secure them to something secure on top of your coach or the awning on the other side. If you have any question about this please call me at my home, 775-852-1475. This should not be a big problem. Let all of here on the forum know if you got your awing secure. That's what we are here for, to help each other.

nrhareiner
09-03-2007, 07:39 AM
Thanks Darl for the info.

Here is the problem, the end cap covers that end of the awning. I would have to remove the entire end cap from the front of the bus to get to that end. Yesterday while trying to get off the roof the person stabilizing the ladder moved I and almost (luckily) fell. Enough of my getting on the roof for now. Hope this storm will wait until Tuesday.

Kim

Darl-Wilson
09-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Kim, I hope all works out fine with the awning. I also have ZipDee. My experience with these folks has been great. I am sure you will get your problem solved tomorrow. Let us know how everything works out and the results of your factory contact.

Darl

nrhareiner
09-05-2007, 05:10 PM
Well the problem is solved for now. It took three people to get the awning in. Two on roof and me on an 8' ladder pushing from below. We need a new motor, and other repairs, but that can wait to return to FL after POG IV.

Thanks to everyone