PDA

View Full Version : Dead on the Road...for a while

rickdesilva
08-28-2007, 02:25 PM
I had a appointment at Prevost in NJ for some work today. Start up my coach let her warm up, turn on the lights....no problem. Hook up my car..pull out in front of my house and turn off the headlamps and she dies...like she was shot in the head. she won't crank and has no dash lights but we have flashers. A police officer pulls up sets flairs and I called Prevost. While I am waiting for the towtruck, I begin to check all the fuses. The "Rear Engine Control" Breaker in the box above the engine, "CB 18" tripped. I reset it and backed her into my driveway. After talking to Prevost we thought it best to tow it in as they thought it could be a frayed wiring harness. We confirmed its not the harness and I can only assume that turning off the headlamps and dying at the same time was only a coincedence. Has anyone had any similar problems?

Jon Wehrenberg
08-28-2007, 04:49 PM
Rick, I'm sure Prevost will get it sorted out. I would not rule out a lazy breaker. I have replaced several over the years because they no longer could carry the load. There was nothing wrong with the circuit.

Headlight thing was a coincidence, and stuff like that happens just to play with your head. That's the stuff that drives you nuts.

I'm not sure how the XLII works, but if the bus exhibits that sort of a problem on an XL you can switch to rear start and bypass that circuit if my memory is correct. In that rear start mode everything works but you do not get your dash display. That enables you to drive the coach however.

rickdesilva
08-31-2007, 06:52 AM
they really can't come up with anything. Thanks for the advice I'm going to replace some relays and keep some extras on hand.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-31-2007, 07:24 AM
Not only relays, but the CBs also should be in your spare parts kit.

Without a doubt you should have a multi tester so you can check continuity.

Since the techs could not find a short or excessive load which might have caused the breaker to trip it is possible the breaker is marginal and if it is not replaced a spare should be carried. For safety's sake I would suggest you replace it because you do not need to be on the Garden State Parkway at 65 in the fast lane in heavy traffic when you bus shuts off unexpectedly.

I have had CBs fail and I know of two others on this forum who have also had failed breakers. It is rare, but it does happen.

hhoppe
09-03-2007, 11:41 AM
Jon: I know you need another project to do before Branson, but it would be very helpfull if you would make a list a list of spare parts we should carry.
Of course part numbers would be helpful. These items keep popping up in the web, but not in an organized fashion. And a list of tools beyond the ordinary that should also be on board. Even if the bus owner does not do the work himself it would aid any other mechanic in making emergency repairs.
Part number Mango would be a great acomplice in this project. A short presentation at the rally would be helpful.
If you have done this prior on another thread please help us locate it.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-03-2007, 03:37 PM
Harry, The spare parts project is complete. I'm being a smart aleck, but Prevost has a spare parts kit for each bus. It has a part number and is likely specific to each model bus. This spare parts kit has most of the replacement items such as circuit breakers, relays and fuses that Prevost recommends.

In general terms however we should have spares of our relays, our circuit breakers, and various exterior light bulbs. We should carry a spare set of belts. I also carry tire schrader valves and plugs for quick on the road repairs.

I used to carry spare brake chambers, but instead I now carry plugs and caps so if a brake chamber fails I can cap or plug the line and deal with replacement when convenient. I do carry a spare hose for the brake air line.

Our house is equally important so I carry spare bulbs, plus because I have been able to accumulate these parts I carry a spare generator "watchdog" and Webasto control unit. Because the inverters are critical I have a complete set of boards and cooling fan. I also carry spare house relays. For a 12V bus you should have fuses or CBs.

But we also need tools. I have three jacks (2 20s and a 30) and a 12X torque multiplier so I can remove the wheels, plus a tool box with a wide variety of common tools. No sense having spares unless you can replace them.

Rather than making lists when we are in Branson we should look through each other's stuff to get ideas on good things to carry. My problem is the house is 24V so a lot of what I carry is because it is not readily available at NAPA or Camping World.

hhoppe
09-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Jon: i knew you were well covered, now we have to get it out of your head into ours and on paper. There is information beyond Prevost and into the converters area that is hard to get. My request to Liberty for information on my recent purchased coach fell on deaf ears. I'm not even sure which of the two models it falls under. 12V or 24V ?? I'll get there eventially, but it would be easier if they helped. The sales paper work says it is a "Kartier Model" what ever that means.

garyde
09-03-2007, 11:38 PM
Harry. Feel free to call me with any questions regarding your Liberty. My Coach came with a Circuit Breaker Sheet , Fuse Sheet, Cabling Sheet all of which tells you what wire # (Circuit) goes to what Breaker or Fuse. There is a discription f the 120 volt Circuit Breakers, the 24 volt fuses and the 12 volt fuses. With your Coach # Liberty should be able to give you this sheet if you do not have it. Gary

Jim_Scoggins
09-04-2007, 04:42 AM
Jon:
Re the spare parts kit from Prevost you mentioned in your post.
Is this from calling their parts folks or are you picking off a web site somewhere?

Thanks,
Jim

Jon Wehrenberg
09-04-2007, 06:36 AM
I saw it somewhere either in my Prevost parts book or the owner's manual. If I get a chance I will look around and post where I saw it.

It is specifically a Prevost "kit" and it may be standard or an option. But it does not address the house and we need spares for the house also.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-04-2007, 12:53 PM
I did some checking and I found where I had seen it.

In my Prevost owner's manual it lists the contents of the seven available spare parts kits that are an option for my 97 shell. The differences in the various kits is dependent upon whether the coach as OTR or driver's air only, and which alternator system it has.

The kit contains various bulbs, circuit breakers, relays, belts and some co-pilot seat hardware.

In my opinion it does not even scratch the surface. Because of the variations in our shells and our conversions I think each owner has to custome design his or her own spare parts list. Maybe in Branson we can poke around in everybody's bus and see if there is a concensus in what we all carry. One thing all have to recognize is that the spare parts are going to vary extensively between coaches because even conversions from the same converter are likely to have substantial differences. For example, Mango and I both have 97 Libertys, but he has a 12 volt coach and I have a 24 volt coach. He has two alternators, and I have one. He has a mechanical serpentine belt adjustment on his engine, and I have a spring loaded belt tensioner. Our relays will be different as will our circuit breakers. Our house light bulbs will differ, as will our control units for the Webasto and the watchdog.

Generally we will try to have the same types of spares, but they will end up being different part numbers.

My spare parts kit will probably be identical with one that Fast Roger will have however since we have almost identical shells and our conversions are both 24 volt.