PDA

View Full Version : Rv Headsets E S P

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-24-2007, 09:38 PM
jello_jeep :

Warren, I remember awhile back you said you would buy something like these if they were available.

New product for you to try. RV Headsets E asy S afe P arking

RV head sets aviation style. Claimed to have 200 foot range and powered by 9 v batteries. Voice activated transmit, and you can talk and listen at the same time for hands free operation.

Phone: (719) 338-3138

http://www.rvtoyoutlet.com/p-RV5407.html

merle&louise
08-24-2007, 09:45 PM
So Easy Even A Cave Man Can Do It!

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-09-2008, 09:00 AM
jello_jeep :

Warren, I remember awhile back you said you would buy something like these if they were available.

New product for you to try. RV Headsets E asy S afe P arking

RV head sets aviation style. Claimed to have 200 foot range and powered by 9 v batteries. Voice activated transmit, and you can talk and listen at the same time for hands free operation.

Phone: (719) 338-3138

http://www.rvtoyoutlet.com/p-RV5407.html

Added a link to a sales site.

tdelorme
01-09-2008, 10:07 AM
For the rare times when I need help backing into or out of a tight situation, Jan takes her cell phone and bails out. I call her on my cell, put it on speaker and sit it next to me.
I've already got enough crap to keep up with and don't need to add anything else. :rolleyes:

Jerry Winchester
01-09-2008, 10:40 AM
I have a handheld CB for this function. It works pretty well and I can also use it when we are moving the coach and the toad separately and need to chat quickly.

My question is has anyone come up with a decent headset that they use in the coach for their cell phone?

I don't necessarily want to broadcast my conversation all over the coach and with the other things going on (noise) I wanted something that could overcome the ambient noise. I have tried several Bluetooth headsets and unless I have an undiagnosed hearing problem, I can't hear very well with them if there is much background noise. While I have stopped short of using my Bose X aviation headset with the cell phone connector I have in the plane, I wouldn't mind using the Bose noise cancelling headset I have for my iPod if I could figure out the microphone part.

I tried two wired headsets on this last trip. The dog chewed up the first one after about two uses, but it was the type with the ear canal piece that I thought would work well. It didn't. I then tried one that was a half head type deal with a pad over one ear that had its own volume control. It worked okay if I applied slight pressure to the ear pad so short of bungee strapping the stupid thing to my head, that didn't work. And Mango Mike said it sounded "tinny", so it didn't meet any of the criteria.

I guess I can run thru the list of them at Radio Shack and keep trying to find a winner, but if someone has solved this problem, I am "all ears".

jello_jeep
01-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Tnx Jim, I will take a look-see.

jello_jeep
01-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Jerry, if you have an Iphone, the earbuds that come with it are great.

I have the wireless bluetooth too, and it is ok, but if you use the buds that come with an Iphone, you will find yourself turning the volume down, which is a first for me :)

You can also hang up from a conversation by pressing the little bump in the right earpiece cord.

Have not had too many complaints about background noise, at least not as much as with the bluetooth.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Guys,

You are supposed to possess the skills to drive the big bus.

You don't need headsets, CBs, walkie talkies, or hand signals. You need to be able to park them using your mirrors and knowledge of what is around you, and where the corners of the bus are. If you are unsure, you as driver need to get out of the seat and walk around the bus to verify there is nobody or no thing in your path.

Having stuff like the devices listed above and a helper to guide you is like training wheels on a Harley.

Let the flaming begin.

MangoMike
01-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Bus Jon and Fast Roger in lieu of using Walkie/Talkies.

mm

MangoMike
01-09-2008, 02:02 PM
JDUB,

This is the unit I purchased and used only a couple of times, until my phone failed to "bluetooth" it, as the Z9 wasn't compatible with my current phone. The few times I used it, it sounded great from both ends.

Here's a review from CNET.

http://reviews.cnet.com/headsets/blueant-z9/4505-13831_7-32559219.html?tag=sub

Plus you may want to read the 43 current users review also.

mm

MangoMike
01-09-2008, 02:08 PM
More stuff from BlueAnt as listed by the high priest of geekdom over at Gizmodo.com.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/wireless/blueant-supertooth-light-lets-you-talk-hands+free-in-full-duplex-247485.php

Mike

Jerry Winchester
01-09-2008, 02:53 PM
So since you can't use the one you have I can expect to see it arrive at the Casa del JDUB in a day or so?

Just mail it to the same address you sent the rancid steak, dog turd w/ encrusted homework paper, #2 rancid steak, pizza-in-the-middle-of-my-state-dinner, mini OSU laser bat light, rancid steak branding iron and football helmet chip server.

tdelorme
01-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Guys,

You are supposed to possess the skills to drive the big bus.

You don't need headsets, CBs, walkie talkies, or hand signals. You need to be able to park them using your mirrors and knowledge of what is around you, and where the corners of the bus are. If you are unsure, you as driver need to get out of the seat and walk around the bus to verify there is nobody or no thing in your path.

Having stuff like the devices listed above and a helper to guide you is like training wheels on a Harley.

Let the flaming begin.

WOW Come on, Jon, tell us how you really feel about these electronic gizmos
Talk about Lew being off his meds. What has happened to the kinder, gentler Jon??
Like the song says, "WATCH OUT FOR THAT TREE.":eek:
And, what does that "round tires for now" statement mean?

Jon Wehrenberg
01-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Hot Button topic for me Ted. We have 45,000 pounds strapped to our butts, and we need to know at every moment where the corners are.

We have to navigate tight city streets, campgrounds with kids at play, road construction with narrow lanes, and Cracker Barrel and Wal-Mart parking lots.

For a newcomer to be less than skilled in finessing a coach into a back-in campground space is understandible for a very short period of time after the purchase. I had to readjust to the 45' coach after 250,000 miles with the 40' coach so I know that sometimes we can't hit the spot we want the first time even if we have some experience, but at some point it is time to be able to hit the marks with the coach, first time, every time without assistance.

I expect to hear about helpers being safe and all that stuff, but as long as a coach driver comes to rely on outside assistance the coach driver will never rise to the level of professionalism required to drive buses like ours.

If you ever want proof of what I am saying spend a day in a busy campground with back-in spaces and watch the carnival that takes place as wives and husbands try to work together to get their rigs into a space. These people are on our roads.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-09-2008, 04:38 PM
OK, I was doing a test to see how far I could tow an H2 with the parking brake on before the faux pas became evident.

When I finally did stop the tires were less round than I would prefer. I learned a few things. First, check and double check stuff before moving the bus. (I now use a check list). Second, our buses will start out and run right up through the gears as though there is nothing behind them even with a 6700 pound vehicle with its brakes on hitched to the rear. Third, some folks will never let me forget that.

For those recording data, 1/4 mile is all it takes to flatten a new set of tires right down to the steel cords. Except for the part on the street, the rest of the tires were OK.

Jerry Winchester
01-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Okay, I'll bite. I don't totally disagree, but I need to work my dinner off.

Professional Bus Drivers Rarely;

-Have to back into a space in Yellowstone where the parking stump has to fit between the exhaust and the 8V92 engine block when the coach settles because it is a Prevost and they all lean at some point.

-Have to back a coach into a small, unlit storage unit with poor back-up lights and an even poorer camera.

-Pull over a hump large enough that the Liberty installed generator baffle becomes endangered for the second time

-Back into a designated tailgating spot were the obstacle is trees that you have to have to be real close to but don't want rubbing on the top of the coach.

-Pull into anywhere towing anything where the clearance is extremely tight and the visiabilty is poor.

I have never seen a seated coach driver pulling a trailer. I watched 15 coaches pull up in the lot at the Insight Bowl; not one of them didn't have a dent, scrape, bump or missing light of some kind. The drivers don't own the coach they drive and it doesn't cost nearly as much to repaint / repair a white seated coach or even an entertainer coach as it does a motorhome when you get an ouchie on it.

I'm not too proud to have someone take a qualified look. Usually it's me, but sometimes it's not.

And the goofy couple parking tandem is exactly correct. What a rodeo, but usually worth the price of admission.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Huge difference between taking a look, or having somebody spot tree limbs compared to a driver incapable of getting into a parking spot without his co-pilot guiding the coach every foot of the way.

I have been in campgrounds where there are some serious "gotchas", like boulders down low out of sight of the mirrors, or a tree limb the mirrors or camera won't pick up. Having someone stand on the boulder so they are visible or giving a hand signal to stop because of trees out of camera or mirror range makes perfect sense.

The flip side is as soon as someone sees a coach trying to get into a site and the co-pilot is running around back and forth behind the coach giving directions, it tends to bring out all the amateur traffic cops and soon there are three folks all giving directions and what should be a simple parking job turns into an olympic event.

dalej
01-09-2008, 09:10 PM
it tends to bring out all the amateur traffic cops and soon there are three folks all giving directions and what should be a simple parking job turns into an olympic event.

That is one of the worst parts of RV Parks. You pull in with a Prevost, not only does a lot of
people want to see a bus conversion but they want to get a closer look and end up trying to help
park.

And some Parks, the GUY has to help park you because the park doesn’t want you backing over
the water of electrical box. They are so good at sitting in the golf cart and watching your every
move, I swear if they would just close their eyes, I could do better. I love it when I hit it on the
first try using my mirrors...they think...this guy is good!

That was really nice at the Kerrville Rally, the pull-thru’s were so big everyone knew you would
be fine, and no one came to help, of course all the Prevosts pulled in within such a short time
frame.

mikedee
01-09-2008, 10:55 PM
I have a tank of fuel invested in Bluetooth headsets and have finally found one I like, Blue Eagle for Interstate Connections sold at Petro truck stops and some TA's.

About $99.00, and worth it. Loud, clear, long battery life, big buttons, boom mic, and head band. I use it every day. Don't buy the Blue Parrot version as I did, short battery life and died about 3 months after I got it.

garyde
01-09-2008, 11:04 PM
I remember pulling into a Tree lined Campground in Alabama while driving my Liberty home from Florida. I was by myself . This park had low drooping branches everywhere and Trees and Trunks at every turn. If it wasn't for the help of a very kind old southerner, I would have done serious damage in attempting to negotiate this park. He guided me thru several narrow turns into a grassy site. A very gracious person. When I got out to shake his hand and thank him, he looked at my coach and said ' you have been very blessed'. I will never forget that encounter.

lewpopp
01-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Let's think about this prose that Jon is puttin upon us for a moment.

I expect the reason Jon is acting like this goes back to the first time he got the coach and when he pulled into the first campground, he said, "Di, would you get out and help direct me in to the spot?" she said very infaticly "Stick it Jon, this is your ride, your pride, and I am along only for the purpose of being 'arm jewlery' "

That's why Jon needs his meds.

Am I the only one who picked up on Mango Mike saying that the communication system he uses works well on both ends?

Seems to me it would be very uncomfortable if used on both ends and hard to wiggle and make it comfortable. Jeeeze !!!

I am presently at Parliament Coach for the rally and they have Mango's Mothership on the front row for display.

Loc
01-10-2008, 08:59 AM
Lew,

I was going to let the "both ends" comment go because I really didn't want any further details. All I can say is that unlike JBUD I wouldn't want it sent to me to use after the both ends thing. I can understand the Blue Tooth for one end but what do you call the other? No, I really don't want to ask that do I?

MangoMike
01-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Lew,

I always know I can start my day with a laugh after reading your late night post happy hour comments. ;)

Also please stand around the front of the Mothership making comments like "what a beaut, and way underpriced for a Liberty".

Your buddy,

Mango

Locman,

I'll have to PM you with the description of the other end of the Bluetooth as this is a family forum (Debi reads it).

Mike

lewpopp
01-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Mike, I'll do what I can to point it out to the buying folks, but someone set up a taco stand in front of it this afternoon. He is using the license plate that was on the front of your coach (MANGO MK) and is rubbing it on the chain link fence to make some noise to attract people. You know what I'm talking about. Remember running the tin cup on the bars of the cell when you were incarcerated? Oops, I wasn't supposed to let that out. Oh well, now I have to listen to JPJ scolding me for having let a cat out of the bag.

Jeff Bayley
01-13-2008, 01:26 AM
Jerry-

I have intentionally purchased phones that accept the wired headsets because I don't cotton to the bluetooth ones on my ear. Just don't fit snug enough. I've made a hobby out of trying almost everyone and brand out there. Because I NEVER use the phone without one, I run through them rather quickly. I move them from phone to phone (4 cell phones) and the Bluetooth can't plug and play quick enough for me.

The two you want to try are the Plaintronics one and I think even better (for tight fit/hence less back ground noice) is one by Panasonic. It folds up and goes in a pocket but is an over the head old fashioned type. Don't think they make a non folding one so don't bother looking. That one has a larger cushion and tighter fit and is my favorite. There both about $30 each.

Now, if you've got a new phone, they're phassing out the mini jack on those. You may find an adapter but unlikley. I just bought a Palm / phone device yesterday and it is devoid of the mini jack so I'm back to trying the wireless bluetooth and not getting jiggy with it so far. If your phone has a sim card, just keep a spare phone around and put your sim card in that phone (with a mini jack on it) and keep it in the bus all the time. If you go on Craits List and do a search for "Nextel" like I did, you'll find a truck load of used phones for $50 or so. I'm canceling my insurance on the phones becuase they just raised the detuctable through Signal to $100 instead of $30. Not worth it for the basic non Palm phones anymore when you can get a used one for half the detuctable.

Hope that helps.

01-13-2008, 09:12 AM
Like Jerry, this thread has brought back memories. Have any of you ever stayed at this RV park?

Red Coconut RV Resort
3001 Estero Blvd.
Fort Myers Beach FL 33931

In my opinion it is one of the best direct oceanfront access RV parks in Florida. When I stayed there, I had to be as close to the water as possible. I had a 40' 02, pusher Monaco. There are two sections to this park, one across the street and one directly on the beach. All went well getting into the site, with a few well wishers we managed to get in, very tight, lots of loose sand. The park was great, beach is a 10, couldn't ask for a better time. I should have known that I would pay the price on the exit. The park is setup so that to pull out you must exit right and go around to the beach front isle, and back to the South east to the left and out to the road, the only problem here is at the So East Corner there is a huge tree on the left, a wall separating the RV park from the next property and the entire turn is in the soft sand, not to mention all the tow vehicles. I made a wide turn toward the parked tow vehicles to the right, swung left toward the tree and ended up half way into the turn with half an inch from both the tree and the wall to the right. The mistake at this point was two fold. There were at this point at least 10 helpers and the sand was moving like an hour glass under my tires. My big mistake ( besides not having headsets) was to backup and change the angle of the approach at least 10 times. The sand shifted each time changing not only the angle of the approach, but the degree of the rig as it approached the offending tree and wall. As I approached the tree to the left, the wall to the right the coach starts to lean into the tree, in the tire rut and now I'm listing to the left by 3 degrees and have no room at all. Everyone in the park began to help, each I think had head sets on, all talking to me at the same time. I was even convinced at this point that the weight of all those people standing around was making my coach slip closer toward the tree as the sand was coming out of the hour glass underneath each tire. needless to say I was sweating like a pig. I made so many trips out of the door that I was out of breath. Almost an hour went by before I could get out of this spot, and it required a near disassembly of the motorcoach, a paving company, an arborist, a mason and an army of helpers. I escaped with no damage other than my pride, and at that point I didn't even give a sh.. about that, just wanted a clean shirt, and a beer. I almost forgot to hook up my toad that was across the street running, and barely had the energy to connect the two.

Bruce. PS> No sand in my future, and I always do a recon before deciding on a slip, and yes I own headsets now.

tdelorme
01-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Glad you got out of that one with no damage, Bruce. I figured out long ago that I'm going to exit the park by whatever direction offers the most room for the coach. I might be going the wrong way down a one way campground road, but by golly I'm taking the easy way out and often times it's the same way I came in.

Jeff Bayley
01-13-2008, 11:02 AM
I guess one story remind me of another. I use the cell phones and keep mine on speaker inside and it works fine but I've got another problem. I can't seem to teach my wife hand signals. She flails her arms and waives and the body language is tryign to do something but now, I let her stay in the bus. I'm safer by myself than am with her doing chineese sign language. Anyone got a video tape I can make her watch that teaches hand signals ? He,he.

01-13-2008, 11:12 AM
I think we should all take an aviation hand signal course, but I would get it backwards anyway when i look in the mirror.

01-13-2008, 11:13 AM
I agree, and had I done what you said it would have been a 100' ride backwards up the one way road and out the exit.

tdelorme
01-13-2008, 02:07 PM
I guess one story remind me of another. I use the cell phones and keep mine on speaker inside and it works fine but I've got another problem. I can't seem to teach my wife hand signals. She flails her arms and waives and the body language is tryign to do something but now, I let her stay in the bus. I'm safer by myself than am with her doing chineese sign language. Anyone got a video tape I can make her watch that teaches hand signals ? He,he.

Come on, Jeff. You really don't want this bunch of clowns to start a hand signal thread. Instead of getting safely parked, you'll probably get arrested.:rolleyes:

lewpopp
01-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Jeff Bayley,

Mango wants to know if the unit you described has a padded version so he can use it at both ends.

lewpopp
01-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Jeff Bayley,

This is a reminder that the mini-POG is coming up in about a 10-11 days. Do you need another reminder?

Jerry Winchester
01-13-2008, 11:23 PM
Well this thread was bound to be hijacked but here is what I have found out.

I FINALLY tracked down the elusive Blue Eagle headset and it is only available thru Interstate Connection and they have only one store in the Houston area at the TA Truckstop in Baytown.

Anyway I charged it up, paired it to my Blackberry Pearl and presto; it started working right away. It is a Bluetooth (Lew, that means wireless), noise cancelling, rechargable, over the head / boom mike headset that was designed to work in high noise areas. And it works well. I had to turn it down it was so loud.

And when coupled to the Blackberry, I can push the button on the headset and my phone "asks" me what I want. I say "Call" and it says "Say name or number" and when I say the name it repeats it. I say "OK" and quicker than Lou can open Happy Hour, the call is completed.

I will road test this unit during the week, but it gets good marks so far. Thanks Mike Clark for this heads up.

As for the signals, I tend to default to a cross between crane and airplane hand signals.

truk4u
01-14-2008, 08:09 AM
Jdub's most frequent hand signal....

Jon Wehrenberg
01-14-2008, 08:16 AM
I will acknowledge to being a Neanderthal with respect to the latest and greatest gee whiz stuff, but if a Blue tooth is a wireless is there any reason that the nerds that are into this electronic stuff can't just say wireless?

Last time I looked a blackberry was something you ate. Perhaps one of the more modern members of this forum can tell me how you can get one to make a phone call.

Just Plain Jeff
01-14-2008, 08:50 AM
As a much younger person than Jon, I'll add a bit to the conversation:

Bluetooth requires that any connection be paired, which is also called linking or bonding. You can pair phones, in a coach with a headset, car kit, or a computer to exchange or synchronize files.

In order to modem-link, you must have MNAI software on your phone, for example and MNAI service enabled on your account for dial up networking functionality to work.

You can use your phone as a model to dial into a network. You can also do this using Bluetooth or use a USB cable. Special note: When a phone is in a modem, e-mail, webrowsing, ActiveSync and text-messaging modality, many of these functions are suspended until the modem-link is deactivated.

Sheesh.

So here is a guy who covets his Lawrence Welk autographs more than learning about the details of his coach. We will all have to work to teach Jon to pay attention to the details and proper maintenance of a coach I guess.

Jerry Winchester
01-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Almost correct Krakman;

The one most frequently utilized is the one you suggested with the opposite hand place over the top of the offending digit;

Translation - "Cover me, I'm fu--ed"

When the hand is placed under the aforementioned sign you get yet another signal;

Translation - "Fu-- You, I'm Covered"

Whilst SockBoy got most of it right, I hope A1 will be able to reposition himself, if not near the leading edge, maybe on the foreskin of technology such that we are not endangered of all being Neanderthals.

Just Plain Jeff
01-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Waitaminutehere.

This is what they call a 'family-oriented' board and no potty talk is allowed.

And we have a self-professed former Oklahoma oil field worker saying, "Whilst?"

What's up with that?

Jon Wehrenberg
01-14-2008, 01:41 PM
As a much younger person than Jon, I'll add a bit to the conversation:

Bluetooth requires that any connection be paired, which is also called linking or bonding. You can pair phones, in a coach with a headset, car kit, or a computer to exchange or synchronize files.

In order to modem-link, you must have MNAI software on your phone, for example and MNAI service enabled on your account for dial up networking functionality to work.

You can use your phone as a model to dial into a network. You can also do this using Bluetooth or use a USB cable. Special note: When a phone is in a modem, e-mail, webrowsing, ActiveSync and text-messaging modality, many of these functions are suspended until the modem-link is deactivated.

Sheesh.

So here is a guy who covets his Lawrence Welk autographs more than learning about the details of his coach. We will all have to work to teach Jon to pay attention to the details and proper maintenance of a coach I guess.

It was easy when Jerry said a Blue tooth was wireless. Then our erudite JPJ chimes in with gibberish. I was lost at the end of the first sentence.

Since I come from the generation that had party lines and rotary dial phones a cordless phone in the house with push button dialing is high tech. A cell phone is pushing the limits of technology. For me, remembering to turn on a cell phone is a major leap. I still have never had voice mail so there are undoubtedly many who think I am ignoring their phone calls. I still don't understand the concept of texting (why not just make a phone call and leave a message?), or even having a cell phone if you intend to just look to see who is calling and then make the phone stop ringing (but not say "Hello?").

So in layman's terms a Bluetooth is a cell phone you stick in your ear, right? Obviously to use the term USB cable in conjunction with calling a device wireless is an error.

LW had it right. Simple times are good.

tdelorme
01-14-2008, 02:38 PM
Just so everyone knows, this is Jon telling me to come straight back. :)

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/tdelorme1/smoke.jpg

Jon Wehrenberg
01-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Don't push me guys. I'm prone to go off the deep end when pushed. But instead of joining the wireless generation with Blue Tooth, Blackberry and Chocolate phones, I will instead install signal jamming equipment and sit quietly in my coach in a campground and watch grown people cry when they cannot make or receive phone calls or connect to the internet.

Be happy that my desired ignorance of things involving little electrons hasn't morphed into full blown, take no prisoners, scorched earth solutions which render an entire rally cut off from the outside world except for those of us who use phones with wires and rotary dials.

Be afraid...very afraid.

truk4u
01-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Jon in his earlier years...:p

A one and a two and a three Norgren valves!

tdelorme
01-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Jon in his earlier years...:p

A one and a two and a three Norgren valves!

Yea, I thought so. He had the LEANS back then too.:)

Just Plain Jeff
01-14-2008, 04:38 PM
I am not all that afraid.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-14-2008, 08:07 PM
I can see the engine starting gremlin will be working his way through ORA at about 3:00AM in a couple of weeks.

BTW for entertainment during the BBQ I'm trying to get the Lennon Sisters. I think of the original LW cast of entertainers they may be the only ones still breathing on their own.

truk4u
01-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Damn, now I have to figure a way to lock the chassis cut-off's!:mad:

lewpopp
01-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Now Jon, the bluetooth is good at both ends, so I heard, and when it is used on the other end, it is shaped nearly like a supository so the guys can put where it belongs. When it is used at the other end, does it sound like a burp or a flatulation?

Jerry Winchester
01-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Now Jon, the bluetooth is good at both ends, so I heard, and when it is used on the other end, it is shaped nearly like a supository so the guys can put where it belongs. When it is used at the other end, does it sound like a burp or a flatulation?

See what happens when Happy Hour ends and the WiFi is still working at ODR? I thought we had that timed better.

Maybe the meds will kick in shortly.......

Just Plain Jeff
01-15-2008, 05:32 AM
Damn, now I have to figure a way to lock the chassis cut-off's!:mad:

Some guys have coaches with compartments which lock to limit access to the cut-off switches. But then those coaches are actually made of metal.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-15-2008, 07:11 AM
They may have a lock, but I have the key. Can anyone say "Viro".