PDA

View Full Version : Memphis BBQ?

GDeen
08-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Driving up to Memphis from Oxford MS shortly with time for some BBQ before my afternoon flight home. So where should I go???:)

MangoMike
08-24-2007, 11:09 AM
One of the best places in Memphis for the real deal.

The Rendevous

http://www.hogsfly.com/

Mango

Jerry Winchester
08-24-2007, 03:57 PM
Don't listen to Jerk Chicken Boy.

Go to Corkey's or A&R or Jim Neeley's. The Rendezvious is for light weights.

jello_jeep
08-24-2007, 04:34 PM
Jdubster, I gotta start hanging with you more often.. That looks like some DANG tasty BBQ!

I bet Corky don't drive plastic ;)

GDeen
08-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the rec's fellas...left it up to the gps and the closest on my route to the airport - the winner was Jim Neeley's Interstate BBQ.

JDUB I had the exact plates you show in your high quality pics as evidenced by my crappy phone camera shot below - combination platter! Extree Good.

merle&louise
08-24-2007, 08:20 PM
Gordon,

Glad you stopped at Interstate BBQ (Jim Neely's) he is a Newell friend of mine (Jim has been owning Newells for 15+ years). How did you like his BBQ sauce; I like it better than anything else I've ever tasted.

For future reference, he has a second location in Southhaven, MS at 150 Stateline Road. He and his wife Barbara are really nice people.:D

GDeen
08-24-2007, 11:35 PM
Had a meeting with my lawyer when I got home today. Mentioned the trip to Interstate BBQ and he said a family member from Memphis says Rendevous has the best ribs in town, so there you go Mike.

Tuga, I thought the sauce was good. Frankly I was dissappointed in the pork ribs. Pulled pork, hot link, and beef ribs were very good. First trip to the bbq spaghetti rodeo and I liked it.

Firing up my pit tomorrow afternoon and going to overnight smoke two pork shoulders (boston butts) and two briskets. Got the church youth group coming over for a back to school pool party Sunday and we are gonna have some good BBQ!

For the record, my favorite Texas BBQ is Kreutz Market in Lockhart - outstanding.

jello_jeep
08-25-2007, 10:55 AM
What kind of pit do you have??

Hows about a picture of it??

I have a water smoker, an alto shaam smoke oven, a smokeroma (pressure smoker that was given to me), and I also still like to put hickory over charcoal indirect on a regular old weber.

I have a pork loin to smoke and slice this weekend, as well as a top sirloin, and some chix breasts.

Someday would love to build a real pit!

Those Southern Pride smokers are a hoot too, trying to think where I could keep it :) Could do some dynamite ribs & brikset in that bad boy!. That stainless would look sharp being towed by a Prevost too!!

BrianE
08-25-2007, 11:45 AM
There's hope for all you rib fans that don't live in Memphis. Corkys has a deal with Fedex to deliver nationwide. http://www.corkysbbq.com/ ;)

GDeen
08-25-2007, 12:36 PM
JJ, I currently have a green egg ceramic cooker and a Stainless Bradley electric smoker. I also have a wood burning pit that an oilfield welder built for me that is on loan to a buddy at his lakehouse (likely permanent loan as the Misses doesn't see the architectual value in having it around the house).

I smoked some really good food on my wood burner but it is a serious pain requiring full time montioring to keep temps in line. That is not a bad thing on occasion to sit around with a few cool pops all day, but it doesn't get used as much for that very reason most of the time.

The green egg is outstanding for grilling and some smoking. Cook steaks, burgers, chicken qtrs, fajitas, seafood (fish, shrimp, scallops),and even pizza on the egg and it is really good.

I really like the Bradley for the tough cuts of meat, long slow method of traditional bbq cooking like briskets, shoulders, and ribs. I will cook the shoulders and briskets on the bradley tonight - 12 hrs at 200 degrees +/-. With the wood puck feeder it is just a set it and forget kind of operation. I like to use a paprika based rub on the pork and just sea salt and cracked pepper on the briskets. I will post up some pics later.

jello_jeep
08-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Sounds like a nice collection Gary. I was looking at a big green egg cooker, and then came across this place..

www.komodokamado.com

Pircey, but looks great, and they claim you can cook for 24+ hours low and slow with now refuel!

Might have to look into this one!

GDeen
08-26-2007, 05:13 PM
Had a malfunction with the Bradley (operator error a possiblity) which resulted in a fire. Fortunately, only ruined the meat and did not burn the house down. Pretty eye opening none the less.

I absolutely love the Egg. Had it for over 5 years and am using it for the meat which I now have to cook as replacement in 6 hours for the pool party.