PDA

View Full Version : Joey Bed Installation

truk4u
03-26-2006, 08:53 PM
Installed a Joey Bed in the Marathon pass through bay this weekend. I purchased a 90" two way bed and was able to achieve 34 1/2" in width. The width is adjustable from about 30" to 48". If anyone does one of these, be real careful on your measurements before ordering. You will need to get in the bay and have someone close the compartment doors to get an accurate length measurement. The Marathon has chair compartments built into the bay doors that take up almost 4". When it was all done, there was exactly 1" clearence from the bed to the doors. The whole job cost 525.00 including 3/4" plywood, carpet and paint.

Jerry Winchester
03-26-2006, 10:27 PM
Got any photos? :o

truk4u
03-27-2006, 08:20 AM
Jerry,
If I can figure out how to post photo's I'll try, but you may want to take a look at the Rally when there's an ice cold cooler of beer taking up space;)

Ray Davis
05-02-2006, 03:08 PM
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about differences or benefits between a Joey Bed, and a Kwikee Superslide?

Joey Bed has quoted me $660 + $85 shipping for an 88 inch dual slide kit. (no plywood).

Camping world sells a Superslide II from Kwikee, which has a similar unit for only about $400.

If anyone has an experience on either unit, I would appreciate it. It seems a little silly to pay 50% more for one unit, if they are both comparable.

Thanks,
Ray

Just Plain Jeff
05-02-2006, 03:56 PM
I put in a Joey Bed about 3 years ago in our old coach. We had been sent what they termed (after we got it) the 'older model.' There were no instructions available for the installation. We made a number of phone calls and finally figured it out, as we were doing the installation in the boonies.

The installation finally turned out to be clean and very functional. The mechanism was very heavy duty; and it's important to really check on the weight-carrying claims of manufacturers. As I remember, ours was the 750# model, very heavy duty, and with 3/4" marine ply, there was nothing that I could lift that couldn't go on the bed.

As with any sliding bed, what you gain from the bed, you lose in space, so that's a personal decision.

Jerry Winchester
05-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Ray,

Our coach has a Joey Bed and it works very well and appears to be well built. It slides about as easy full as it does empty.

In fact, at the POG rally I saw a Joey Bed that was loaded with enough weight that when it was extended, the awning actually worked as an outrigger to keep the coach from tipping over :eek:

lewpopp
05-02-2006, 10:09 PM
AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH

Ace Hardware here. I love my "Ace Hardware" and for your information, I looked up the gross weights ,etc., and I am well under the max wgt. I can carry according to the mfg.or axil ratings.

Ace Hardware, over and out.

ken&ellen
05-03-2006, 07:15 AM
We opted for the more expensive Joey Bed in our Diplomat based on the customer service. We talked directly to the folks at the plant and they assisted us with sizing and type. Some of the other brands you must go through Camping World.:eek: which means catalog number and cost.....nothing more. The Joey Bed is solid and well constructed. If you wait until a FMCA rally Joey Bed will be there to do installs as well. Ellen purchased carpet from Lowes to match our compartment carpet....the job came out looking very professional. Ken & Ellen

Ray Davis
05-03-2006, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the response. It seems almost everyone is using joey beds, and I've found no-one who is using the kwikee slide. Maybe that tells me something. Thanks for sharing your experience with their people.

ray