PDA

View Full Version : Fridge Re-fit

Joe Cannarozzi
08-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Here is a project probably very few of you will ever need done.

Our fridge was 2-way, a/c d/c, and not working when we bought our bus. For that reason plus the opening for it was predetermined and we wanted the versitility of propane that is what we went with. 2-way, but 12v/propane this time. The new one is slightly taller but the same width and depth so all that was nessessary to get it in was to raise the bottom of the upper cab. and shorten the doors. Someware in the archives there is a post that covered that project, who would have guessed:rolleyes:

I have finally gotten around to cutting an opening in the bus for the lower outer access door/louvers so now it is finally installed correctly and we do not have to pull it to winterize the ice-maker or service the unit. Up until now it drew air from inside the bus, from underneath the fridge (I shimmed it up 1 in.), that can now be sealed up as well.

Plywwood and spray insulation removed.

I used a 4in angle-grinder with a razor-thin grinding disk to cut the opening and notch the struts. If anyone has not had the opportunity to use these razor thin grinding disks I gotta say these things are the best invention since sliced-bread. I'm continually finding new uses and using them more frequently for a whole variety of projects. Check-um-out.

In an attempt to keep as much structural integraty as possible I chose to notch these strutts insead of removing them. I'm concidering attatching some 1in. angle to the backside of these to re-support what I have cut out. They still seem VERY solid, we'll see.

I have to p/u some stainless flat head screws and a can of black plastic paint for the door and frame.

The chiminy, that is created by false backs in the upper cabinates, needed to be expanded/redesigned too. I think the converter compramised here cause the roof deck is directly above that location but they did it WRONG, it was too restrictive hurting the fridge preformance. I figured out a better solution and as I reassemble that I'll document it and post that tomorrow.

Believe it or not I AM getting close to having everything back on line.:)

hhoppe
08-19-2007, 09:37 AM
Joe: Be very careful using the abrasive cutoff wheels. Our shop uses them by the hundreds and they are one of the most dangerous items we use. They are not guarded and can kick back and slice you up. Yes they are very handy and provide cutting where all else fails. I had to take a friend, that was using a cutoff wheel in a large 8" grinder, to the hospital to get stiched up. The wheel exploded and cut his arm to the bone and tendons. Safety glasses and a full face mask and heavy leather gloves minimum when using these please.

Joe Cannarozzi
08-19-2007, 01:54 PM
Harry

Left myself wide open for that. Thank you for that tune-up it was deserved.

They ARE VERY DANGEROUS couldn't agree with you more.

bill&jody
08-23-2007, 09:46 PM
joe you are very brave! when bill saw the triangle cut in the stainless . . . i just revived him up off the floor!!!!!
hope to see you soon.
jody

Joe Cannarozzi
08-23-2007, 10:22 PM
We are rebuilding this bus for us and nobody else.

Nothing would make us happier that to have this same ride 20yrs from now.

That fridge was the first of two steps that we concider very important to achieving boondocking/full-timing efficiancy. The second being a good solar system, for SURE to come. Although I do love the sound of our gen. (MPD) fuel costs loom large.

Now that the new fridge has its own icemaker I'm gonna move the U-line icemaker from under the bar to the plumbing bay, curbside, where it will serve us much better for outdoors stuff. Doing this will utilize some wasted space there, in that bay it will not freeze in winter and it will free up a spot under the bar for cases of beverages that currently occupy some cabinate space that could be better utilized for clothing.

Change one thing and 4 good things result.:)