PDA

View Full Version : Kicking my self again.

garyde
08-17-2007, 11:15 PM
I left the ignition key on 4-5 days ago. What a putz. I have been charging the battieries all day. I think thy will come back. Here'e the thing, I m constantlly being reminded in all my other vehicles when I forget to take the key out...Ding,Ding,Ding,Ding........ Why the heck does'nt Prevost have this simple reminder?::confused:

Oh, and by the way, I have not been a proponent of the word 'Sparky' in refering to electrical matters. I have been a electrical Contractor for 30 years and an electrician for 40years and have always felt the word was dumb.

jello_jeep
08-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Wow, too bad Gary.. They should come back up..

As for the sparky term, I don't think its meant to call anyone dumb, just a light hearted bit of fun.

Although not my primary duty, I have a C-10 too, and have been called sparky.. I think it was a friend of mine who does cabinets.. So I now call him "termite"... All in good fun...

I left the ignition key on 4-5 days ago. What a putz. I have been charging the battieries all day. I think thy will come back. Here'e the thing, I m constantlly being reminded in all my other vehicles when I forget to take the key out...Ding,Ding,Ding,Ding........ Why the heck does'nt Prevost have this simple reminder?::confused:

Oh, and by the way, I have not been a proponent of the word 'Sparky' in refering to electrical matters. I have been a electrical Contractor for 30 years and an electrician for 40years and have always felt the word was dumb.

Omnitech
08-18-2007, 12:46 AM
You know, adding a "dinger" for whenever the key is on but engine not running is not a bad idea at all. Might make for a fun freeform discussion at the next POG rally. What do you think?

Omnitech
08-18-2007, 12:57 AM
Here's another to ponder: How about a warning dinger that lets you know if your chassis battery voltage is getting low? I know Country Coach has one that works through the voice processor (nag, nag, nag). It would be a simple exercise to add a circuit with a "dinger" to alert you when the battery volts cross a certain threshold. Maybe do double duty with the "key on, engine not running" dinger. Perhaps two different dingers? Let me know if this sounds like a good idea, and I'll gin up something to bring to Branson. Might be fun.

dalej
08-18-2007, 07:57 AM
This is starting to sound good, I like this thread! I always prefer a soldering gun in my hand to grease on my hand! ;)

hhoppe
08-18-2007, 08:42 AM
I have been a electrical Contractor for 30 years and an electrician for 40years.[/QUOTE]

Gary this is amazing you really don't look 70 years old?

garyde
08-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Well Harry , you got me. It 's those vitamin supplements.

garyde
08-18-2007, 12:10 PM
You know, adding a "dinger" for whenever the key is on but engine not running is not a bad idea at all. Might make for a fun freeform discussion at the next POG rally. What do you think?

I like that idea. I am wondering, since simply having the key in the ignition annunciates a tone of my GMC Truck, if there is something out there already available by Prevost.
As far as chasis and or Coach batteries, why not have a toner as well as a dialer which could call say my cell phone or whatever number I choose.

MangoMike
08-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Gary you're right. Plus there's just a bunch of stuff on the market for homeowner security systems that might just be adapted for this purpose.
It would be great to be notified by cell phone about a bus issue.

Mike

Jon Wehrenberg
08-18-2007, 02:44 PM
I think Gary and Omni have the basis for an article for the POG home site with a wiring diagram, parts list and "how to" instructions.

There are a lot of warning signals for us seniors. I have run the generator at a rest area while eating lunch so we could have air conditioning, and then turned off the air conditioners but forgot the generator when we headed down the road. I need a "nag" to remind me of stuff like that.

garylstevens
08-18-2007, 03:39 PM
I need a "nag" to remind me of stuff like that.

Jon you got a lot of guts ? If I ever called my wife that, she'd back hand me until tomorrow and then some. :confused: :D Besides I like to have mine nag me everyonce in awhile, cause it keeps me awake driving down the road, Know what I mean? :o

Gary S

dalej
08-18-2007, 04:39 PM
I think he meant to say nudge, yea I'm sure of it. Jon knows this bunch of guys and gals would bring that back up at some ackward time.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-19-2007, 12:39 PM
For those of you who are challenged with the written word, go back and read exactly what I said....I said I need a nag, an obvious compliment to my long suffering wife who does not fit that description.

Unlike some others who have done some things I will not bring up here I tread lightly especially around the vultures that populate this site and who will not hesitate to pick the body clean after one mistake.

hhoppe
08-21-2007, 09:12 AM
Our 2000 Liberty Generator battery discharges completely when left in storage. The storage area only provides 15 Amp power. This requires the coach to be completely shut down electrically. The following switches are shut off: 24V & 12V in rear engine bay, two main inverter switches in second bay drivers side, all interior panel switches at inverter display. I hook up one Battery tender to 12V house batteries, and one 24V Battery Tender to the 24V chasis batteries.
The generator has a watchdog system which I know zero about, but I suspect there in lies the problem. I do not have literature on that system.
The battery is new which indicates a possible previous problem. Any help here would be apreciated.

BrianE
08-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Harry,

In addition to the switches you are shutting down, does your Liberty have a main house battery shutoff on the DC fuse panel? On our 94 it is in the third driver's side bay. Also, in reference to the Battery Watchdog. Liberty will not share any circuit diagrams of that system. Bill and Troy however, have been very helpful in answering questions about the system. I wouldn't think that with all electrical switches shut off, the Watchdog would be the cause of your drain.
....Jon?

jello_jeep
08-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Harry, can't you put the battery tender on the engine batts, then just dial one inverter down to 10 amps or whatever it will hold (on the incoming shore cord setting) then plug the bus in and set the one inverter you changed the setting on, to charge mode ?

Thats how I be doin it.

MangoMike
08-21-2007, 04:02 PM
Harry,

Warren's got it. I was doing that with my Liberty at the Church of Love with only a 20amp circuit.

Mike

hhoppe
08-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Warren & Mike: Thanks for the advice, I have only 15 amps to work with and when I leave I'm 90 mkiles from there. No way to check on it for a month or so.
I'm not familiar enough with the inverters yet to start flipping buttons. I'll follow Brians suggestion and call Liberty tomorrow.

VegasDogMan
08-22-2007, 12:38 AM
Hate to admit it but on my Liberty I've never removed the cover from the generator battery case in the 2 yrs I've owned the coach. I'm expecting to have trouble soon because of my neglect so will probably replace battery this fall and start anew.

Anyway, I'm under the assumption that the Generator Battery is charged by Generator alone not engine and not inverters. I could be wrong?

On another note, I've been in a number of campgrounds this summer with only 20A and have survived by turning off one Battery Charger and setting the other Freedom 25 to draw maximum 5A on charge. Was able to keep batteries up and run fridge, limited TV and a window fan.

Couldn't run on 20A GFI because of the way liberty has coach wired.
(Found a way to "cheat" and get around this but will not post it publicly)

garyde
08-22-2007, 12:54 AM
Hi Harry. You have to un plug the watch dog ribbion connection at the watchdog box. Then you can run the generator from its own start and stop switches on the gen. The battery, should be independant. I will look at mine and be in touch. Gary

MangoMike
08-22-2007, 09:14 AM
RE: Garyd

On my 97 Liberty there was a special red override switch you had to flip before removing the ribbon cable.

Mike

garyde
08-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Mike. Your correct, I forgot that step.

Darl-Wilson
08-22-2007, 08:58 PM
Harry, please call me and I will be happy to go over and check your coach for a proper charge before you head this way. Don't mind checking it out for you every couple of weeks. Toll-Free at my office is 866-286-4026. Don't forget we're taking you and Shirley to the Nugget for some fine steaks!