PDA

View Full Version : Canada?

ajhaig
08-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Are there any problems taking a coach into
Canada?

We usually cut through Canada when we go to Michigan.

Alan__
08-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Not really. We are in Halifax presently and have had no problems other than being selected for a full manual search and some sort of electonic scan by the largest mobile scanner I have seen at the Canadian border patrol at the I-81 entrance. Delayed us 90 minutes but they were quite jovial during the search.

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Alan, don't take any firearms unless you thoroughly research the laws and are confident you know exactly what you are doing.

MangoMike
08-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Alan,

Last summer we traveled to Niagra Falls via Detoit/Windsor without having to stop at all except to pay the toll. On the way back the US border guys had a couple of questions, but took less than a minute.

Mike

garyde
08-15-2007, 11:11 PM
Coming back from Vancouver,BC and Vancouver Island I missed the sign directing me to the American Border crossing Booths. I went around the USA depot looking for direction when a Border Officer waved me down and had me park. From that point, it was like Arlo Guthrie's 'Alice's Restaurant' experience. The Border Patrol had all of us File off the Bus and into the Immigration bldg. and sit on a wood bench. My wife Lise, 9 year old son Conner, 6 yr. old nephew Gabriel, 16 yr. old daughter Torie, and myself sitting on this wood bench wondering 'what's next?'. Conner looked at us and said; ' Are we going to Jail?' Finally, an officer came over, asked us for all our IDs, took all our licenses, birth certificates , keys, etc. and walked away. After a thorogh inspection of our Coach with Dogs, they came back in and gave us our papers back, and the keys to the Coach and said we could go.
I was certain they would find my dozen Cuban Cohibas and lock me away for a long time!
It seems almost everytime I have gone to Canada, coming back, the US Immagration folks have it in for me. I guess I must fit their Profile.

VegasDogMan
08-15-2007, 11:16 PM
Have Been across the border 4 times this summer.

Into Canada
-----------
Can't take firearms or FireWood into Canada.
They also say no dog food but didn't ask me about it.
Last year they took my chicken, eggs and potatoes.

Coming back into US
-------------------
No Beef unless you have proof that it was purchased in US.

Bought 6 lbs of Schmidts smoked Pork HotDogs in Winnipeg and they were confiscated by US customs crossing back into US not because they were pork but because label said they were in "Sheep Casing". I accused the border cops of wanting to have a weenie roast... they didn't see the humor in my remarks.

Also drove coach through giant Scanner and had coach xrayed as well.

Bottom line.... don't piss them off... they seem to invent rules as the mood strikes.

gmcbuffalo
08-16-2007, 04:45 AM
They almost have no rules except what they make up. They can also come up with whatever fine $$$$ they want. Not much recourse. I once looked at a old GMC that had one or two screws missing from all the cabinets, carpet loose, you name it. I asked the owner about it and he said that's whats happens when you look like a Mexican coming across the border.
GregM

Just Plain Jeff
08-16-2007, 07:31 AM
You want more information about Canada, eh?

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?t=346&highlight=hitman

The bus-driving, she is a fast game, eh?

ajhaig
08-18-2007, 09:24 AM
We drove through Canada on our way to Michigan from Boston... 2.5 hr line at the boarder. Ouch!