PDA

View Full Version : Best deal on tires

merle&louise
08-09-2007, 02:11 PM
I am in need of some front tires - 315/80 R 22.5

I would prefer Michelins, but I am open to any discussion about other brands.

Who has the best prices on Michelin tires? :)

So far I have gotten prices of around $650 each with no trade in for the old tires.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-09-2007, 03:01 PM
This thread is going to go to hell real fast anyway, so I'll send up the first target.

I ended up with the Chinese tires because they were half the price. There were a number of tires quoted that were close to the Michelin price, but they weren't Michelin. Hell, for $25 more or $50 more I could buy the Michelins, but when the guy quoted around $325 for the Double Coin tires it literally meant if they all blew out after 2.5 years I would break even it made the risk worth trying. Roger has more miles on his rickshaw tires than mine, and Sunday I saw they still had air in them so things are looking good.

I have new Michelins on the steers and will until I develop the confidence in the Chinese tires on my drives. At replacement time if I have had success with the Chinese tires that is what goes on the steer, unless they learned to play the game the others have and that is to be close to but cheaper than Michelin.

BTW, the ride is excellent on them.

merle&louise
08-09-2007, 05:43 PM
I received a quote from a tire dealer in Lafayette, LA, for a load range L, 315/80 R 22.5 - $340 plus tax and balance for a total per tire of $420:D

Roger, do you have the Chinese tires on the steer axle?

gmcbuffalo
08-09-2007, 06:24 PM
The other question is do we need 315's on the drives what about 12R's? Could save the cost of one whole tire. Old steers could get rotated back to the tag and new 315's on the steer.
GregM

dalej
08-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Greg if you have the 8.25 width wheels, don't use 315's they kiss when the bus in bouncing up and down. I have been told this will happen by Prevost. I have 12r's on the drive but use 315 on steer and then on the tag.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-09-2007, 07:24 PM
I think they gave you bad information Dale. That is listed by Michelin as an acceptable size wheel for 315 tires.

Greg, there is a bit of irrationality at work on tires sizes. Specifically, (motorhome chassis only) on the 40 foot coaches the steer axle has a greater tendency to be overloaded because all equipment and weight has to be between the axles. This becomes especially true if the converter places a lot of weight up front, such as batteries or generators.

When I had a 40 foot coach it had 12R tires.

Now I have a 45 and it has 315 tires, but because of the large rear overhang and the placement of all batteries behind the tag axle, and the holding tanks and generator immediately in front of the drive axle, I have a 5000 pound heavier coach, but none of the extra weight is on the steer. Despite that I have the 315 tires rated at least 1600 pounds more.

The only justification is that in the event of an emergency I can swap any tire to any position. But that theory goes down the toilet when I see the new coaches with two different size tires. Go figure.

I think Dale is doing it right because he has the big tires where he needs them,

Jon Wehrenberg
08-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Tuga, the King has Michelins on his steer. Both of us are chickens. We are giving this Chinese tire thing a chance, but since the steer and tag are the hardest on tires we are sticking with what is known there. When my steer axle tire is going to be replaced I will have about 4 years on the Shanghai skins so at that point I will have a bit more knowledge. Roger may be at the point where he has to make a decision sooner.

Poor Roger has had to work in the recent past. It's killing him.

dalej
08-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Jon, I measured the tread width on my 315's and my R12's and they are the same width or the 315's could be 1/8-1/4 inch wider. Both are right at 9 inch in there width. I was a little supprised by this, but the 315's are much wider when you get to the belly of the tire, so I would not put 315's on a 8.25 wheel. It will be very close to touching without the bouncing that bus's do. He said when they kiss the heat will start to build.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Guess what.....our inner steel wheel is 8.25 and the aluminum is 9.00.

I rely on Michelin technical data and the Prevost shop manual for my information. I think the guy has not availed himself of either.

dalej
08-09-2007, 09:47 PM
Well my curiosity got to me so I went out and did the measurements on the tires. The steer tires with the 315's on them has a belly measurement of 2 inches, at 110 pounds of pressure. The 12R’s has a belly measurement of 1 inch, with 100 pounds of pressure. The distance between my drive tires is 1
and 1/4 inches. So I’m pretty sure that if you put 315's on a 8.25" wheel that they will be building heat from touching. Again I would NOT put 315's on a 8.25 wheel. If any one has 315's on 8.25 wheels I would be suprised.

My measurements are from the outside of the rim to the farthest most outside point on the tire, or the belly measurment. I have two 8.25 alcoa alluminum wheels.

rfoster
08-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Tuga: A1 Jon is correcto, I am having to work too much, but I still read the forum when I get time. New guys are hired and in place, just need to get them up and running.

I am running Michelins on the steer and old Michelins on the tag and Double Coin Chinese on the Drive. So far so good. If today I had to buy more tires to replace the steer, I will probably go with the French brand and transfer the old steer to the tag. However down the pike as Jon and I accumulate a few more miles and history to go with it, I may elect to go Chinese all the way around.

Don't ride on old tires, my brother recently had a blow out on his plastic coach out in Oregon, so far he is out 2500 Lew bucks -(wiring harness, spring shackles, mount, storage box wall and compartment door etc) plus the tire and downtime when he experienced a blowout on the inner dual.

His comments were the tread was like new! But what about the date, Turns out 7 years old.
He was just getting over one stroke, damn near had another.

garyde
08-10-2007, 02:00 AM
Tuga, Michelin is the only tire I will ever use on my 50,000 lb Prevost. Its a no brainer. I have priced tires of different brands and the $$$ does not come close when considering my safety , my familly's safety and everyone driving around me.

gmcbuffalo
08-10-2007, 06:46 AM
Dale
I have 315's all around and my rims are all 8.25. I have been told that it is OK, but I do have concerns about the "Kiss" effect. That is one reason I have been thinking of going to 12R's on the drive axle. This winter I am going to be replacing those 4 tires.
GregM

dalej
08-10-2007, 07:52 AM
Greg, have you ever checked to see if there is a space between your drive tires at the belly? I would think that they would have to be touching. After measuring mine, I don't see how 315's could ever work.

hhoppe
08-10-2007, 12:08 PM
What ever gave you gentlemen the idea the French could do anything superior to a U.S. or japanese Company. Ever take a look at a Renault. We had to pull Michelins off our work trucks because the sidewalls were weak and caused them to wander all over the road. My Royale has a new set of Sumitomo's and they work just fine. If the truth was known Goodyear probably makes the best tires.

Ye Ole Philosipher

gmcbuffalo
08-10-2007, 12:57 PM
Dale you are right, they are really close.
GregM

garyde
08-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Just a side note regarding Chinese tires. Wall Street Journal had an article this morning; "225,000 chinese tires recalled" . Now , I know many companies have recalls, but chinese products have had a series of dangerous recall issues this year and there are plenty of other choices like Harry has stated including American tires. Michelins have been around for over 50 years and I have used them on different vehicles since the late 60's with no issues.

dalej
08-10-2007, 11:56 PM
Just another side note....My drive Michelins are stamped with, made in Spain! so with outsourcing you never know.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-11-2007, 08:09 AM
With all due respect Gary, perhaps you will recall a small problem a company had when their tires were cited as the cause of Ford Explorer roll overs? Does Firestone come to mind? That is more American than Double Coin which was not cited in the recall.

We live in a global marketplace now and there is no limit to the different things made elsewhere including China which plays a major role in everything from the manufacture of Boeing jet major assemblies to the toothpaste you use to the fish you eat.

garyde
08-11-2007, 08:52 PM
I agree with you Jon. My point was that for individuals contemplating tires for a Prevost, the priority should be on Tires which have a history of reliable performance. Remember, we have a lot of newbies reading these POG s these days and many have no previous experience with Prevost nor Commercial vehicles.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-12-2007, 06:46 AM
And me and Roger abide by Reagan's theory of trust but verify. That is why Michelins are on the steer.

merle&louise
08-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Tuga, Michelin is the only tire I will ever use on my 50,000 lb Prevost. Its a no brainer. I have priced tires of different brands and the $$$ does not come close when considering my safety , my familly's safety and everyone driving around me.

Good point Gary. I have decided that I am going to buy the Michelins for the steer axle. They will cost about $600+ more than the Chinese tires; it is just not worth the worry. Maybe after a few years when the Chinese tires are proven, I may consider them for the drive and tag axles, but for now Michelins are going on the front.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread:D

hhoppe
08-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Oh Yeah if they cost more they must be better. French resturants charge high prices for their meals. Are they any better tasting or more nourishing. I don't cater to the French. They are definately not our friends. Ie. They charge us enourmous rent on the space for our WWII cemetary in their country. The cemetary contains our heroes that lost their lives saving their sorry French a#*'s.

dalej
08-13-2007, 01:25 PM
HARRY!!! you control yourself! Remember your other foot in on a banana peel. Just take a breath....now is'nt that better. ;)

gmcbuffalo
08-13-2007, 01:41 PM
I have Toyo on my ffronts and I was told by southern Oregon Diesel that they are better and customers like them better becaiuse the are less prone to sidewall cracking. Over two years and they are doing great. Will go with them on my drives this december. $400 a tire instead of 600.
GregM

Joe Cannarozzi
08-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Greg

A worthy try but you are going to convice VERY few.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-13-2007, 06:45 PM
What are you running on your Pete, Joe?

I understand you can take huge risks because you do not stray too far from home.

I have to be candid and will probably irritate a few on this forum, but while owners express a lot of reservations about the proper tire, there is a greater probability they will end up with a brake chamber failure or an air bag failure before my Chinese tires fail if the components under their bus are allowed to get too old.

Since all of our tires have to meet DOT standards, and unless they are abused by running at low pressures, hitting curbs, or are allowed to be run long after they age out, they should give very reliable service no matter whose name is on the side.

But I have found what is under the bus is largely ignored.

lewpopp
08-13-2007, 10:23 PM
Jon, you did not irrate me because you make a lot of sense on this subject

Just for giggles I'll put in here that I had previously posted on Prevost stuff that I put Toyo on the front and they handle and show no wear after 2 years. Sidewalls look great and I have them on the front.

garyde
08-14-2007, 01:06 AM
Well Jon, as you said on your first post, this can be a contentious debate. It is beginning to sound like the classic 'Ford vs Chevy' arguments I remember from the 60's. Chevy won by the way.

Joe Cannarozzi
08-14-2007, 05:11 AM
I tried to stay away from this thread but could not help it after reading Gregs post.

That was my intention because when I first bought our truck I too felt very differently so I can appreciate all the concerns.

I hope with time some might begin to agree.

This is a subject that we have been through thorouly before and I have concluded that I've already done the best I could previously chiming in on it. That was some time ago and we have many new members since so for the benifit of those:

Jon I could not even tell you what is on the steers right now accept to say It isn't Mr. michalin or bridgstone. I will look in the morn. and post tomorrow afternoon. You understand I can take huge risks? I know that didn't come out right, right? ;)

I was pushed away from the big boys because I was aggrivated when putting new ones on, they were concistantly very hard to balance. I would leave the tire shop with new skins and a wobble that wasn't previously there and just got tired of fighting with the things.

I was plesently suprised to discover that to be a non-issue with ANY of the other makes as well as no difference in preformance or milage as well as a huge cost savings. My rump may not be as discriminating as some but if switching brands but not tread patterns I have never been able to feel any difference in ride. Currently I have no balance devices of any kind on the tires and they mount up that way first time every time.

If the big boys were only say only 10% more instead of 40% more would I then use them? No.

I have not found any area where we can save so much so easily while compramising nothing, actually gaining. win-win

There are quite a few other members who are in the trucking industry and would love to here from them again now.

It's gettin late, time to go to work. Have a great day:)

Jon Wehrenberg
08-14-2007, 06:54 AM
What I meant about taking risks came out wrong.

I mean that if we lose a tire we are likely to be far from home where we have the opportunity to buy from someone we know after we shopped for the tire, and worse, we have a tire size that will likely not be on the shelf at a truck stop or tire store.

As a local you are in far better shape than when 1000 miles from home.

Just Plain Jeff
08-14-2007, 06:57 AM
Well Jon, as you said on your first post, this can be a contentious debate. It is beginning to sound like the classic 'Ford vs Chevy' arguments I remember from the 60's. Chevy won by the way.

I'm pretty sure that you meant to say Ford won, by the way. :D

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-14-2007, 09:05 AM
I'm pretty sure that you meant to say Ford won, by the way. :D

I don't think so.

Isn't it: F requent O verhaul R epair D aily, or ford :p

dale farley
08-14-2007, 09:11 AM
While we are talking about tires, my steer and drive tires are new, but my tag tires are Bridgestone that were manufactured in October 01, so I assume they were probably installed in 2002.

Of course, they look like new and have no cracks and the bus was always inside out of the sun. I am wondering if they are safe to run on the tag for a while longer or if I should change them before POG IV?

When I had the bus weighed with everything at full capacity, the tags were considerably under their weight limit, so as a general rule, they are probably running about half their limit. I am aware that they are at that age where they are boderline, I just don't know if I can be a little more lienient with them since they are on the tag axle? I lost an inside drive tire a couple years ago while going through a construction area in MO. The tire blew out and took an air bag with it, so I do know the hazzards of having a blow out.

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-14-2007, 09:31 AM
Dale, not sure if this helps you answer your question yourself.

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?t=289&highlight=tire+date+code

Jon Wehrenberg
08-14-2007, 10:38 AM
I'm not sure how to find it or if it was on this forum, but I posted a response from Michelin on the useful life of tires. The answer was that they age out in five years regardless of tread depth.

At our coach weights and the speeds driven a blowout could have serious consequences. If all that happens is an inconvenience due to the flat tire we are lucky, but the potential to rip things up underneath is high, and the risk of injury cannot be ignored.

The problem is that we either have to accept what the manufacturers say, or we have to develop a data base that is tabulated based on data provided by everybody that runs their tires until they wear out or blow out. Anybody out there with old tires with lots of tread want to risk life limb and property in the interests of providing POG members with valuable data?

Joe Cannarozzi
08-14-2007, 10:54 AM
This Ford verses Chevy comparison that is trying to be applied here? What if one of the two was 40% more expensive than the other?

If a blowout occures 99.9% of the time the tire is either outdated, run on low air pressure, previously damaged in some way or you run over something large enough to cause it to blow.

I knew what you ment Jon, it's all good. Rained out again, can you believe it.

hhoppe
08-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Chevy & Ford thing? Wait till the Hudsons come back. They used to eat Chevy's & Fords for lunch. Hey Lew how about it?

Harry

Joe Cannarozzi
08-14-2007, 09:23 PM
Gerat post Harry. I really neaded that about now.

truk4u
08-15-2007, 08:47 AM
Harry, isn't Hudson a river in New York?:p

hhoppe
08-15-2007, 11:06 AM
Truk only if you want it to be a river. I didn't mean to inflict any worthwhile education your brain could not handle. You younguns missed a great era of cars.
Harry

merle&louise
08-15-2007, 12:56 PM
I think they also made a vacuum cleaner.:confused: