PDA

View Full Version : Slide Out Tool Box Holder

Jerry Winchester
08-07-2007, 10:44 PM
Ever since the heady days of the MangoMothership, I have coveted one of these nifty sliding tool box trays.

I know this is a Liberty deal and I know JPJ priced one at Liberty in Florida (but I forget how much they wanted), but surely this is just a couple of sliders with an angle iron frame to accomodate the box and some mounting apparatus for the rails?

However, not having access to one for replication, I am wondering if any of the gurus have any better photos and an idea where the slides come from?

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-07-2007, 11:21 PM
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Jerry, Page 2937 has what you need.

Just Plain Jeff
08-08-2007, 07:28 AM
I did get the price for your Oilness Mr. Winchester as you were too shy to call the parts department at Liberty.

They make their own slide outs with chrome and a nifty locking mechanism appropriate to the Liberty Class of campers.

For the lesser coaches, one can find the Joey Bed at http://www.joeybed.com/ in a variety of sizes, weights and extensions.

Be ready to get indecipherable instructions, mis-matched parts and most of all, a willingness to drill holes through the bottom of your camper. Oh, if you cut the plywood wrong it won't fit.

So when you are done, then you will have to carpet it. Maybe your coveted Ostrich Skin?

The Liberty slide at $1200 might start looking pretty good by the end of all of this, eh?

Jon Wehrenberg
08-08-2007, 07:35 AM
Jerry,

The slides (drawer suspension or whatever you want to call them) just need to be the length necessary to equal the tool box width (usually 26") plus the amount necessary to clear the side of the coach. I would guess around 28" to 30" extension would work. They need to be rated to carry the weight of a loaded tool box.

Beyond that you only need angles to mount the slides to the chassis and the tool box, and a means of limiting travel back into the coach, plus a lock or pin to prevent the tool box from sliding out accidently. There are many manufacturers of slides. You can get fancy and weld a cradle the tool box sits in so it can be easily lifted out or you can just bolt the tool box to the angles which support it.

The tool box needs to have drawers which are locked when the top cover is down.

The tool box needs to be as big as possible.

And try to locate it in the first bay next to the door because I have found I use my tools inside the coach as much as outside and walking to the back of the coach every time I wanted to get some tools for an inside project would be a pain. I almost never need tools back by the engine.

I'm not sure Marathon owners are allowed to use tools.

Just Plain Jeff
08-08-2007, 08:06 AM
Now Jon, that was a bit harsh.

Marathons are delivered with a full complement of user-authorized tools and you know it.

Here's a picture of them: http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/3107418/2/istockphoto_3107418_toy_tools.jpg

Don't be so darn critical.

Jerry Winchester
08-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Jon,

I have one of the boxes and it is 26" wide, so I thought a 28" slide would handle it and the box weighs 92 lbs empty, so would a reasonable full weight be 300-350 lbs?

I looked over the aformentioned slides in the McMaster-Carr book and they have a gazillion options, but the most reasonable seem to be the side locking high capacity steel ones that have a 300# dynamic load.

I am not so keen to drill holes in the box, but a small angle frame should work (Is that how yours is done?) and if the slides have locks, do you need a pin or locking device?

Yep Jeff, I thought the Liberty set up was a touch pricey, but all in it might be a reasonable option.

This is the box;

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/OBJECTS/46800/46711.JPG

Jon Wehrenberg
08-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Jerry,

The Liberty set-up is perhaps more complex than necessary. It works very well, but there are some things that can be made less complex. For example, my current one has a spring loaded locking assembly that locks the tool box slide in the retracted position automatically. I like the ease of use, but that area between the slides is the ideal place for me to keep the tire pressure gauges and related items so I would actually rather a simple lock like a small dead bolt.

To address your questions...the slide travel must equal or exceed the width of the tool box plus the distance the tool box sits inside the outside of the coach. If you can clear the coach when it is extended it is has the correct travel. BTW, nothing says you cannot turn it 90 degrees so it only has to be extended 12" plus the amount it is set back. The problem with that is it makes the space behind the tool box a PITA to access.

I would use an angle iron tray to set the tool box in. I want it removeable and I agree with not drilling into the tool box. The tray however must limit travel in all directions because a fast stop, a hard turn or even rolling out the tool box with the coach sloped sideways could dislodge the toolbox. A MIG welder, some angle iron, and some bolts that go thru the floor of your new coach are all you need. On my first Liberty a simple deadbolt was the only stop to keep the tool box in position.

As an alternative you could swipe Mango's. He isn't using it. It will give you a chance to fly the Vee tail to FL.

MangoMike
08-08-2007, 11:53 AM
JDUB,

Saved you a trip as I dashed down to FL in the Toaster and snapped off these fine photos.

By the way you don't need a tool box, all you need is Jon's private number, and a stack of those Di Polaroids.

Box was not attached to the rails as it just sat in place.

mm

dalej
08-08-2007, 12:40 PM
JDub, that 92 pounds sounds really heavy for a empty 26 inch box, I took mine out to paint it metalic silver and I'm just guessing 15-20. I would still get the 300 pound rails though.

ps..mine is a craftsman

Toy Box
08-08-2007, 07:23 PM
Mr. Winchester ( Jerry) , if you send me your shipping address, I will send you a pair of the slider extensions shown in the pics . I have a spare set and would be glad to donate them to a friend of Red's.

Jerry Winchester
08-08-2007, 09:19 PM
I think this is going to work out. Good advice Jon, good photos Mike, good reference Jim and finally TB comes thru with some sliders. I should have one of these rigged up before I hit Georgia.

Address;

13510 Cypress Pond Drive
Cypress, TX 77429