PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Here

GDeen
08-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Howdy POG members. Just joined the group this past weekend. Already have extracted some great info - thanks.

My outdoor experience includes close to 200 nights in a tent from south Texas to Northern Manitoba - mountain backpacking treks, canoe portage treks, float trips and everything in between. My wife and I have always wanted a motorhome to tour the country. Last summer we leased a Monaco Diplomat from an individual for a couple of weeks and had a ball on a trip to the desert southwest.

We live in central Texas. Been married 25 years with 4 kids - 21,19,17 and 11 Have an Electra Glide and have toured the mountain states with it, although we haven't been riding as much lately. Hobbies also include cooking, hunting, fishing and photography.

I am an engineer by training and tend to study purchases quite a bit. Although we enjoyed the Monaco and it performed well, I was very aware of guiding a fiberglass shell on top of a chassis down the highway complete with rattles and shakes and porpoising, etc. I-40 in a cross wind with semi's blowing by wasn't pleasant. In my review of potential coaches for purchase, I have quickly settled on the monocoque or semi with bus conversions leading the way. We will drive quite a lot so I want a safe, secure road worthy machine that is also good to "camp" in.

Presently I am looking at Prevost conversions and Newells. I am intrigued by the steerable tag on the later Newells for tighter handling. The Prevost speaks for itself.

Anyway, just wanted to stop in and introduce myself.

Edited to say: After further reading I see some "oilies from Oklahoma" in the group. Although in Texas now (22 years) I grew up in Oklahoma, started ruffnecking in Ok, and graduated from Tulsa U, and have been in the "ohl biddness" my whole life so there is another Okie Oily present and accounted for....

dalej
08-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Glad you joined the group, its a bunch of people with the same interest in bus's that you have. If you have any questions about anything, this is the place. I really like the newer Newell's too, they really have some style on the outside, I have never looked at one on the inside though.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-06-2007, 02:30 PM
All of our answers to any questions you may have will be unbiased and absolutely correct.

We all had to be careful what we said when we were in the "home", but here in cyberspace we speak nothing but the truth. Welcome to the Prevost asylum.

Jerry Winchester
08-06-2007, 03:14 PM
GDEEN,

I think I am the only other "Oilie Okie" on the board, so welcome and good luck with your search. We need more folks from the Motherland on this board for sure.

I know several Prevost owners who owned Newells, but no Newell owners that owned Prevosts, so take that for what it is worth. Newell had one of their coaches on display at AirVenture in Oshkosh last month and it was plenty nice. I think they do a good job with them. Just not good enough to make me toss the Prevost and go buy one. But I would rather have one than the normal plastic coach for sure.

Just Plain Jeff
08-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Welcome to POG.

Most of the new members slide in the back door and are not as open in introducing themselves as you were.

So.

We'd like your Social Security Number(s), past 3 years Federal returns and the 3 things you have never, ever told your wife.

Then Jon will tell you what he does at 4 o'clock every afternoon in his bunker adjacent to The Pit.

It has to do with the SDR.

Have fun. You'll buy a Prevost and you know it. C'mon.

GDeen
08-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the welcome Ya'll. I hear you Jerry on the Motherland. Even though I have grown up a Sooner fan, my youngest son is leaning towards a college career in Stillwater so I may need some advice from you there.

Jeff, no problem, just tell me where to forward all the required info. The 3 things I have never told my wife are part of your first demand - my last 3 tax returns. Just keep that on a need to know basis if you would please, and she doesn't need to know.;)

Look forward to meetin you all one of these days soon.

dalej
08-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Be sure to check the calendar for upcoming events or rallies. Branson in Oct and a couple in april for POG

merle&louise
08-06-2007, 05:26 PM
GDEEN,

Welcome to the forum. I am a Newell owner, 1999 Newell w/2 slides. I have been a member of this forum for a little over a year. I have attended 2 rallies with these guys, and I can tell you that they are first class. You will learn a lot about Prevosts as well as the different converters. Don't be bashful, ask any questions that you have and they will be answered quickly and accurately right on line. These guys know their buses.

If you can attend one of the rallies you will enjoy the "mechanics' corner". It is a how to fix seminar; very informative and entertaining.

Glad to have you on board.:D

Jerry Winchester
08-06-2007, 05:50 PM
And the Newell guys travel with hot chicks who back their busses up for them at the RV parks. What's up with that?

rmboies
08-06-2007, 05:53 PM
[QUOTE=GDeen;16375]Thanks for the welcome Ya'll.

And I would like to add our welcome as well!! We were at the very first POG rally with only 11 coaches and now see how we have grown:D It's a good thing and a great opportunity to meet folks from all across the country. Ask away, don't be shy like me;)

Debi

merle&louise
08-06-2007, 06:23 PM
JDUB,

In addition to Karen backing up the coach: I'm teaching her daughter to drive the coach! This girl is so pretty she can make a freight train take a dirt road:D

Pretty soon I'll be able to sit back and relax; I won't have to drive or BACK UP!

Is it true that Marathons are easier to back up than Newells?:eek:

Jon Wehrenberg
08-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Tuga...you been hanging with this bunch of clowns too long.

You are just like us even if you drive a Newell.

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Welcome Gordon and Jenny. Good to see you jump right in. I think you'll find the water's fine! :D

merle&louise
08-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Tuga...you been hanging with this bunch of clowns too long.

You are just like us even if you drive a Newell.

Thanks Jon, when can I borrow the Vette?

hhoppe
08-06-2007, 10:15 PM
Welcome Gordon & Jenny: You'll love this group of nutcakes, never a dull moment. Don't pay too much attention to JDUB, he got his degree on ebay.
I want to tell you of a couple of nice guys in the Prevost business in Tulsa. We bought a 2000 Liberty from them and they are first class people. Jerry Nading is the leader at Tulsa RV. Go by and see them and tell Jerry I said to buy you a breakfast. He and Carl west the service manager are A#1. They have several Prevosts in stock.
www.tulsarv.net

jello_jeep
08-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Welcome aboard, you will find the misfits here a friendly bunch, when they are not kidding around.

I find it best to be serious all the time, and not do too much kidding.
Especially make sure to avoid Truk4U, he is a dangerous parolee and has to register in each state he passes through :p

garyde
08-06-2007, 11:09 PM
Welcome to POG . I have owned ; Holiday Rambler Gas Coach , Monaco Diplomat Pusher, Country Coach Lexa and now my Liberty Prevost. Nothing, Not anything, comes close to a Prevost. It is an amazing Machine.
All POG questions will be answered.... Not correctly, but you'll get an answer. The thing is, there's just a lot of these guys who are just waiting for their daily sponge bath and have nothing better to do . It's better if you get your questions in early in the day because they turn out the lights early at the home.

Just Plain Jeff
08-07-2007, 07:41 AM
GDEEN:

We already had your last 3 returns anyway, so I was just kiddin'.

Coupla things: The market for a preowned Newell is pretty thin and mostly made by Newell itself. By contrast, the market generally is pretty good for a preowned Prevost down the road. None of these coaches are a good investment per se, so it's a question of how much you are willing to fritter away while having fun in a bus.

For all the newer members:

The best advice, as noted above, is to figure out a way to attend POG IV and get upclose and personal with some stainless and speak directly with the owners about their experiences. What you'll find is that the range of features, enhancements, styles and changes over the years in conversions covers a very wide range of options. Few coaches are the same as others. Seeking out a preowned Prevost is always a matter of some compromise as there are relatively few made.

Just about any Prevost is going to be a better experience than a Monaco Diplomat, which is disrespectfully referred to here as a POS. There is some dispute as to what that acronym means. But to be kind, especially for the Dueling Banjo crowd from Georgia: Plastic Open-Sided. Y'know.

When you get a coach in your sights, let us know and we can help you make it happen.

You'll note that several members have two coaches. They pretend that they are for sale when in fact they are quietly beginning their own Bus Companies.

It's an MPD thing.

GDeen
08-07-2007, 11:15 AM
JPJ - I knew you had the data but was curious if you would admit to it.

My family is getting slightly annoyed with me pointing out buses of all types including passenger buses("check out that Serta") and interviewing the drivers when the opportunity arises("Do you like Prevost or MCI?" ). On a fishing trip to Saskatchewan last month, we took a charter bus from our hotel to catch the charter flight at the airport. I insisted on sitting up front to interview the driver. He drove OTR buses his whole life and was more of an MCI fan but still liked the Prevost. My buddies were amused at the whole interview process. I think I have a sickness.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-07-2007, 12:18 PM
When the sickness is full blown there is only one treatment. You can buy a bus to make the disease go into remission, or you can postpone the purchase like a few on this forum and suffer great pain.

The disease is incurable, but with treatment it is controllable.

Some here have required a double treatment. Those folks are really sick.

MangoMike
08-07-2007, 12:37 PM
GDeen,

Welcome to POG.

As Jon has so eloquently stated I can ease both are pains; painlessly for you. '97 Liberty 45 XL, featuring a recent price drop.

There's a few more double painers out there in POG land, so you might want to make the tour.

Drop me a PM if you have any interest or if I can help you into remission.

Mike

GDeen
08-07-2007, 01:14 PM
That is a beautiful coach indeed Mike. Looked at it last night. I will get in touch for more info - getting ready to catch a flight but will get up with you in a couple days. Thanks.

Joe Cannarozzi
08-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Seems like we have about 100 new members in the last month or so. 280something, wo, gonna be tough keeping up.

To all newcomers heeeeeeelooooooooo. Come on in, the waters fine.

garyde
08-18-2007, 03:42 PM
I would say ;welcome to all new POG members. If your hanging out, join in. We all had a beginning with POG, so your all welcome and your views and input are needed. Don't forget about our POG rallys. They are different, to say the least!

Jon Wehrenberg
08-19-2007, 12:34 PM
To all new members reading this but not posting.......

Make yourself known and do not hesitate to ask questions, cast aspersions, or post anything you want to get our attention.

With the exception of a few none of us are to be feared. Those that are to be feared are generally well medicated and closely supervised so you should be OK.

Welcome aboard.

Just Plain Jeff
08-19-2007, 03:15 PM
To new members who are posting (with MPD and no coach yet). You may quickly find yourselves like a sailor with 100 dollar bills falling out of his pockets at Times Square during New Year's Eve with some of multiple-coach owners here...they just might want to sell you a bus.

There is a forum near the top of this site called Ah, Nice Coach which is a good place to chat about your ideas and garner some comments about one or another.

There are also those who work below the radar, seeking out and finding great deals on their own and then tell the rest of us after the deed is done. We can usually tell when MPD is at work because they stop talking about maintenance and begin griping about their 'Coots stock value.

Best advice to all is get thee to POG IV and meet people in person. Most of them are much nicer in person than they are online. It's easier to take pot-shots at home in front of a computer screen if you don't have to look the other guy in the eye. There may even be a bus or two there offered for sale?