PDA

View Full Version : Fan Tension Pulley & 24V Charger

truk4u
03-19-2006, 09:42 AM
You may want to check your fan tension pulley, after taking mine off, it was on it's way to failing. Just loosen the belt, or if your aux air is leaking it will already be flopping around, then spin the pulley and listen for noise. Prevost has a new bearing for about 35.00 that has to be pressed in and out or they have an upgraded pulley assembley for 160.00 that is suppose to be a new long life design.

I installed a 24V charger by Battery Tender for the chassis batteries, hard wired it to the batteries and used the 120V block heater plug in the engine compartment for power so I can turn it on/off with the breaker in the bedroom. This charger is a 3 stage, Bulk-Absorbtion-Float and will not cook the batteries. The price was 78.00 at Aircraft Spruce and it's weather proof.

Jerry Winchester
03-19-2006, 09:49 AM
Ooooh, Aircraft Spruce; the pilots will be flocking in shortly. Next to Graingers it is the best catalog in the house. I like the 24v charger we have since it will get you out of a bind if you forget.........

I say you just can't put too many aircraft related items on your coach :D

ken&ellen
03-21-2006, 01:12 PM
Tom, I also have the Battery Tender and I am impressed with the performance. I have manual adjusters with extremely long belts to my two alternators. The belts are tight, but it looks as though there should be some type of pulley mid point to support the belts.:confused: Since the voltage output is in the normal range and there are no strange noises.....I leave them alone! I do carry spare belts as a backup. Ken

Jon Wehrenberg
03-21-2006, 04:04 PM
I think Ken's decision to carry spare belts is one everybody should follow. I have seen a wide variety of accessory configurations on our coaches, and since some of them are converter installations it is probable they are not tested as rigorously as pure Prevost systems that are designed for commercial service reliability.

I see no downside to carrying spare fuel filters, spare belts, and a gallon or two of all fluids. Other spares should include common relays, light bulbs, fuses or circuit breakers, and fittings to replace air hoses or cap existing ones in the event of brake chamber diaphragm failure.