PDA

View Full Version : Update on Lew's surgery

bill&jody
08-03-2007, 07:18 PM
hey everyone,
i tried to get this on yesterday . . . but you already know why i couldn't.

kathy called late yesterday to say lew's heart surgery went well (all 6 hours of it) and he was in icu. whooo hoooo. he is expected to be in the hospital for about 5 days. recovery is in the 2 month range. ouch! they have moved the coach to a great spot at a marina owned by a friend where it is quiet which should help his recovery.

it all sounds so painful to me! this is where he is now:

Robert Packer Hospital
1 Guthrie Square
Sayre, PA 18840
(570) 888-6666
ICU Room #734

if you want kathy's cell phone #, just shoot me a msg. rather than post it here.

i know we all are wishing them speedy recovery. kathy will have her hands full when he comes home. get back online soon, lew!!

jody

merle&louise
08-03-2007, 09:16 PM
Jody,

We don't want to bother Kathy at this time, but if you talk to her tell her that Karen and I are praying for Lew to have a speedy recovery and we wish them all the best.

garyde
08-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Hello Jody. Thank you for letting all of us know how Lew is doing. I await out iconoclastic leaders return to POG. Best wishes and prayers . Gary

rmboies
08-04-2007, 11:03 AM
Jody,

thanks for the Lew man update.....I am happy to hear that the surgery is complete and that he is on the way to a great recovery.....there is just no way to keep a good man like Lew down;) Please keep us informed, thanks!

MangoMike
08-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Lew,
Hope you're feeling better.

JDUB and I are on the road w/ Taco Tour II, but we sent you a get well gift over to the ICU.

Enjoy.

Mango

rfoster
08-05-2007, 08:56 AM
Lew: Mick and I are wishing you the best. Get well soon - we need to hear from you - especially with the Taco Twins on Tour.

Our best to Kathy too!!

lewpopp
08-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Well, it just seems as though it should be fair that the large one and the restarant trollop should be out having a good time and I am here working on getting my drive back. Roger, Truk, Deb & Boboo and Loc. I know Bill and Jody are out in Sturgis looking for capital letters to put in their posts. All thru the west they have missed them. Just the same, I left someone out and I'm sorry.

First of all, thanks for ALL of the good wishes and especiaslly the Dominoes Pizza sent to ICU. I was in the midst of being moved to the regular heart wing and a Dominoes man appears.

One of the nurses intercepted him and noticed that the pizza was from Margo and Mike. I was thouroughly confused because I have a daughter named Margaret and I thought she was using one of her aliases and who was Mike. Her husband is Scott. I said, "let me see that" and it said Mango Mike. Of course I wasn't about to be able to consume the pizza sp I gave it to the ICU nurses. They came up and thanked me later.

I don't recall recovery being this miserable, although I was 25 years younger when I had the first triple bypass.

I'm on oxygen for about 2 weeksand of course must walk short areas and I should be able to take the bus to Fla the end of Sept.

Everyday I seem to improve a very little bit. Even posting this to you guys, I'm starting to get that "shot in the arm" energy.

Kathy has been sneaking in a couple times to tell me of the the Taco Tour and it sounded like a great get together.

Here's something quite notable... I had a team of surgeons working on me and the head surgeon was John Anderson. I never thought about his name until he came in the room yesterday and he saw the picture of my coach. I then went on to relate where the Prevost ranks and he said that someday soon he would be looking for one. This Anderson washes his hands before he cuts anything.

Now for a bitch. What happened to the site whilst I was incapacatated?

I used to be able to click on quickly. I guess that's a good way to get only the computer gurus to stay on line and us commoners say the hell with it.

I used to click on a brow that said "POG" and that was that. Now it needs a new password and everything.

Thanks again to all of you.

dalej
08-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Glad to see you back Lew, we have all been pulling for you. You know that just seeing a post from you is just nice!

hhoppe
08-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Lew: Good to hear from you. Keep the chatter coming we missed it. We hope your recovery is rapid. Were going to miss you and Kathy @ POG 4. Mango is a pistol sending a pizza to ICU. What an insane group we have here.

Harry & Shirley

Jon Wehrenberg
08-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Lew, glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. This group of misfits needs someone of your caliber to keep them on the straight and narrow.

bill&jody
08-08-2007, 11:10 AM
so . . . you want our prayers AND caps??? man, you need to prioritize yourself, lew!
glad you are back online, missed you!
jody (and casey's cousin)

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Hey Lew, Glad to see you back and bitching. :D That means everything is alright and going back to normal.:p

MangoMike
08-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Lew,

It's glad to see the surgery hasn't sapped your snappiness on POG. Welcome back.

I can't take all the credit for the pizza. The Dominos guys must've dropped the ball a bit as the Pizza was from both of us. Having lots of time whilst tooling down the road we debated as to the best "get well" present we could send. As you can imagine there were a lot of creative presents in mind, most of which can't be printed here.

Follow the doctors instructions and look for divine inspiration here.

Mango MIke

rmboies
08-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Lew, glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. This group of misfits needs someone of your caliber to keep them on the straight and narrow.

Jon is so right Lew, I have had to throw my hands up several times in frustration over these guys so I am thrilled to see you back online;) Big gentle hugs to you and Kathy too! I bet Casey is happy to see you and no sweat, he can drive you back to Florida if necessary--ha~!

Debi

merle&louise
08-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Lew, glad to hear you are out of ICU and seem to be getting back to normal. Karen and I hope to see you in site #5 @ ORA in St. Lucie this winter. We are anixous to take another golf cart ride around the RV park.

Get well buddy, we are thinking of you.

gmcbuffalo
08-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Lew glad to hear everything went well. You must admit it was easier this time around than the first time. I worked in Heart Surgery for 25 years and the progress made by the time I retire in 2000 was tremendous. I thought about going back to work but the progress made from 2000 to 2007 is so much greater than the 23 years before. I don't know if you can teach old dogs the new tricks.

Keep coughing and walking and remember they only gave you new plumbing so take care of it.

My best
GregM

mike kerley
08-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Lew, Glad to hear your getting back into fighting trim. Its takes a lot to keep you down.

Keep getting stronger and hurry back to Florida. Kathy has got to have her hands full!!! Karen and I are keeping both of you in our prayers.

Mike and Karen

truk4u
08-08-2007, 05:55 PM
Louie, Yippee, I'm sure glad to hear from you!!!!!! You'll be back at full time before you know it. My Dad had a triple at age 65 and 5 years ago went back in for a valve replacement and the recovery at age 75 was unbelievable. Your strong as a horse, so you will get there quick. Hurry up, I need some New York backup cause the turd boys are really kicking my butt!:eek:

Nancy and I are so happy your back on the board and doing better.... Any help you may need with the bus or whatever, just let us know, we're all here for you.;)

lewpopp
08-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Need help? While I was in the hospital the coach started the "leans". Kathy started it and leveled it up and a couple days later it was there again. I blamed it on all of the parties Kathy was having during my nurses overnight.

I suppose it needs to be run for a longer period of time and we'll try that. Truc, get up here to Watkins Glen to fix it now!

Thanks for everything guys and gals. Kathy told me no to be so porky.

garyde
08-08-2007, 11:57 PM
Lew, I have to say, it has not been the same . As a West Coast POG member, its great to have you back. Someone has to keep Jdub and Mango looking over their shoulder!

jello_jeep
08-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Glad you are out of the horsepistol... I HATE those places..

Gives you appreciation for even the small things in life!!

Get better soon!

MangoMike
08-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Lew,

Shape up or we're sending more pizzas.

mm

merle&louise
08-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Hey Lew,

Do you like fried porkskins (we call them cracklins)?:D

jello_jeep
08-11-2007, 11:14 PM
Tuga, I thought Cracklins were Truk4U's offspring :)

Jdub, are you in the house for an AMEN ?

Down here, they call those thing "cheecharonies". Not sure on the spelling, but not sure its actually a word either!! :confused:

How ya been Tuga, good meeting you and the wife @ Buckhorn. :)

lewpopp
08-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Thought I would progress much faster then I am. What little drive I had before, has not come back. Try as I might to walk short stints, I am surely bushed. Next Dr's appt is on the 22nd.

Just have to take one day at a time, one progression point at a time, no matter how small it is.

Thanksfor the encouragement.

Jerry Winchester
08-12-2007, 08:47 AM
Yep an amen for the Jeep. I think the PlastiKrakster is headed back to Crackerville, so he should be out of the Krakmobile influence shortly and maybe we can find him a real coach. But not too soon.

Lew,

I have a stack of Flying magazines I can send to aid in your recovery.......

merle&louise
08-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Tuga, I thought Cracklins were Truk4U's offspring :)

Jdub, are you in the house for an AMEN ?

Down here, they call those thing "cheecharonies". Not sure on the spelling, but not sure its actually a word either!! :confused:

How ya been Tuga, good meeting you and the wife @ Buckhorn. :)

Warren,

We have been on the road and I don't have an air card (yet), sorry for the late response. We just returned from visiting Karen's son @ LA Tech in Ruston. Man it was 100 degrees up there; it would cool down to the high eighties at night.

We enjoyed meeting you @ Buckhorn as well. Hope to see you at some of the upcoming rallies.

Jim_Scoggins
08-12-2007, 10:59 PM
With the retro fit do we now assume that you now have a pure heart?

Anyway, get well!

garyde
08-12-2007, 11:12 PM
Hi Lew. How's those Nurses treating you. I hope your not giving them too much trouble. I'm sure your keeping them on their toes. Take care. Gary

phorner
08-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Hi Lew. Sounds like you've been laid up recently! We didn't know. Took me this long to figure out how to navigate around these forums. Can't tell ya how many circles I've done around the circuit.

We're going to be heading back to PSL next week and plan to arrive before the end of the month. Never know when we might have to make a quick dash to San Antonio....... (or Stuart, for that matter, remember, we haven't seen the pics yet!)

Hope you are feeling better and on the road to recovery. If there's anything you need that we can do for you, don't hesitate to let us know.

Paul and Janice

lewpopp
08-18-2007, 09:41 PM
Paul

Thank you for the concern. I am slowly coming around. What would really help me is to have Janice hold my hand.

ken&ellen
08-19-2007, 08:50 AM
Lew, Ellen & I have been on the road for three weeks and missed the earlier posts. I am glad that you are feeling better? It took me most of a year to feel normal after my overhaul. When you make your annual trip to FLA you are welcome to stop here off I-95 ( exit 109 ). Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Ken & Ellen

phorner
08-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Hey Lew, Janice gave some thought to the hand-holding thing but, upon reflection, felt it wasn't in keeping with her status as First Lady.

You know, ya show some support for one of the subjects and the next thing ya know the whole kingdom is in an uproar.....

Get well FAST Buddy....

Looking forward to seeing you back within the confines of the moat...er gate that is.

Paul

lewpopp
08-19-2007, 10:00 PM
Ken and Ellen,

I noted on the atlas map your exit when heading south. I have no idea how I'll feel the 1st of October. Thanks for the offer. I would have to call for directions unless you own exit 109.

ken&ellen
08-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Lew, Exit 109 dumps onto Rt. 21. Take R21 approx 15 miles and turn off onto 3d Street. in Springfield, GA