PDA

View Full Version : Travel Planning Questions ...

Ray Davis
08-03-2007, 11:52 AM
A couple of questions here. A couple specific, and then just for general info.

1. Specific - I am planning a trip to West Point to see my son. We've decided to try to do this in the bus. Generally I've come to West Point from the south (via Newark Airport), and traveled up the Garden State Parkway, and the Palisades Parkway to 6 to 9W to West point.

I have been told two things about busses on the parkways. Some people have said, RV busses are OK, and others have said no. Does anyone know for sure? Can I travel up these two parkways? If not, how would you get to West Point, avoiding illegal roads.

2. General - So, this brings up the general question on trip planning. So far the the furthest trip I've taken (in the bus) is to Kerrville TX. Yep, the POG3 rally! I didn't worry about trip planning much, knowing it was all interstate FWY from here to there.

BUT, how do you go about planning for travel to states with which you're not familiar? Like my example above, how do you know which roads are not legal for travel in our bus? I've been told to look at the Motor Carriers maps, and if they are not allowed, don't go on them. That would make the two parkways above off limits for sure.

Do you worry about low clearances? I've found a couple of online references about height restrictions. With my satellite dish I'm edging toward 13' on the roof, and want to be sure I don't decide to give my bus a haircut.

So, just the general question (for all of your more experienced travelers!), how do you plan for cross country trips? What tools do you use for routing? Do you worry about which roads to take?

Thanks in advance,

Ray

hhoppe
08-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Ray: Have your son transfer to the Air Force Acadamy, its a lot closer to your home and the food is better. Is there anything else I can help you with?

merle&louise
08-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Ray,

It has been my experience that if you stay on the interstate highways and the US highways, for the most part, you will be o.k.

We attended the Miss America pageant in Atlantic City, NJ last year. The Blueberry Hill CG was off of the Garden State Parkway (I think). I was towing a toad, and when I tried to make a turn to get back on the Parkway I had to stop and disconnect the toad in order to back up because I couldn't make the turn. A NJ state trooper directed traffic while I was doing my thing. He never mentioned anything about not being allowed on the Parkway, so I just went on my way.

I have never encountered an overpass with a vertical clearance that I could not negotiate. Only once, in Chicago, did I have to dump the air to squeeze under an over pass. It was marked 12'10" - I made it (a friend was guiding me from a hill ahead of the coach). An inch is as good as a mile.:D
That was the lowest vertical clearance I have ever encountered.

My advice would be to go anywhere you want to go and plead your case if you have to; chances are you won't run into a problem.

nrhareiner
08-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Having lived in that area most of my RV time the following are my experiences:

1. The Garden State Parkway (GSP) is good to use with the RV. Please be careful at tool booths, they may be narrow.

2. The Palisade Interstate Parkway (PIP) has some low bridges. I also think that they do not allow RV. However, the way to find the direct information is the Palisade Interstate Park commission.

Have fun