PDA

View Full Version : looking for massachusetts owners

wrongagain
07-31-2007, 06:40 PM
Hi,
I just put a deposit on a 1990 marathon, and I am wondering what if any problems massachusetts owners have had as far as our very limited insurance options, and if my current class D car license is good enough to drive it.
I have called and emailed the registry and have gotten, yes the license is fine, and then called again to confirm because the first person seemed very unsure and the next person said no, I need a CDL.
So long story short I still dont know the answer.
Either I am going to have a 50,000 lb anchor in my yard untill I get a differant license or I am good to go.
Also any horror stories about 1990 marathons I should be aware of.
thanks in advance.
ed

Jon Wehrenberg
07-31-2007, 06:59 PM
Ed,

This topic is confusing. The answers to your question may lie with your local state police or in the commercial driver book that you can get at the facilities in your state that administer driving test.

Some states require non-commercial class B licenses, and others only require a regular driver license.

As you can see from the attached link, even within your own state there is a degree of confusion since your state's commercial driver manual states one is required, but apparently your class D is all that is required. I would verify it and carry a copy of the law with me in case a cop hasn't done the research.

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml

Joe Cannarozzi
07-31-2007, 07:04 PM
Conradulations Ed.

Check AJs public prifile I think he is from Boston and he also just purchased a short time ago.

He should be able to help you some.

wrongagain
07-31-2007, 07:55 PM
I sent AJ a PM email and he either doesnt know he got it or he chose to not to respond.
still confused.

ajhaig
07-31-2007, 09:31 PM
Hey Ed,

Several people have told me that I don't need any special licence to drive the coach in MA, however I have never asked anyone at the RVM.

We will not be keeping the coach in MA so we went with MT registration and insurance.

We do expect to have the coach here for a week or so at the end of the month and I'm at a loss as to where to park it... any ideas on where one could stash a bus in our area for a few days?

"amanda" also lives in MA and she may have some additional insight for you.

Good luck and let me know if I can do anything to help you out.

AJ

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-31-2007, 10:04 PM
Hi Ed, Welcome and good luck driving around MA. Here is a link that will answer your license question. It is not a government site, but I think you can trust the information ( why I don't really know. everything you read on the web is not necessarily true.:eek:

Check out the 11 th paragraph about; Are there any exemptions ...........
If your not doing commercial business your home free.
It wouldn't hurt though to study and take the test even if you didn't want to keep up with the physical exams.

I know your all excited and awe struck, but take the time to fill in all the POG site personal data so we can get to know you.
Post some pictures and get located on the map.

Jon will be asking you for your social security no. so have it ready and give him your credit card no.'s also.

Plan early to attend the POG IV Rally in Branson MO. to find out what you have gotten yourself into.:D
Forgot the link the first time! Here it is!

http://www.cdl-course.com/faq-ma.html ("http://www.cdl-course.com/faq-ma.html")

dale farley
07-31-2007, 11:18 PM
Ed,

Congratulations on your new bus. As you know, I have a 93 Marathon, so if I can help answer any of your questions, feel free to ask. Hope to see you at POG IV. Dale

wrongagain
08-01-2007, 05:27 PM
thanks for the responses,...
AJ as far as parking a bus, I dont know, I am going for the driveway for now but I know that wont last, I know as far as long term some rv dealers will let you leave it in the back lot for a couple bucks at your own risk.

Jim, thanks for the link.
as far as personal data goes,... owner of a small HVAC corp.
basically limit myself to new construction only, I hate working on old and occupied houses.
so since my job is driven by real estate sales, and there are not half as many sales as there used to be, I have had some free time the last year or so.
that being said, seemed like a good time to buy the bus and embrace my lack of work.

Dale, thanks for your offer.
I have never owned a bus before and there seems to be a lot of buttons.

thanks to all again,
Ed

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Good deal on everything Ed. There seems to be lots of HVAC questions on the site.

So are you in the country or in town. What I meant by personal data was go to the user CP (control panel ) and fill in the blanks, and the avatar picture and signature etc. etc. Everyone's been trying to post a picture of them self in the avatar so we can put a face on all the profound postings and then when we meet at the rallies we know who we are meeting with. The code names make it a little challenging and for those that wear bifocals. Its not very easy to read the name tags. When this group got started there weren't many members and the first rallies were easy to know everyone and for those in attendance to build on that.

If you have any other questions ask away. Someone will eventually give you an answer or opinion.

Post some bus pictures. :) ;)

lewpopp
08-01-2007, 09:56 PM
As for posting your picture in the avitar so we can tell who you are at the POG rallys, I have been trying to figure out Jim's. I looks like two Elvis impersonaters. Who's in the picture and where did you get the costumes? Halloween is over. Do you wear those costumes to the POG rallies?

wrongagain
08-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Jim, I knew exactly what you were referring to regarding the USER CP, but I was in the mood to tell some of my story and thats where I happened to be, so....
I havent gotten around to all the personalizing yet, it too will come.
thanks

wrongagain
08-01-2007, 10:48 PM
well,...
now it is somewhat personal. :D

Joe Cannarozzi
08-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Ya know you need to see the front end of that thing to tell what it is.

Is it a 55 or a 56?

Can it be towed 4-wheels down:D

wrongagain
08-02-2007, 06:44 PM
its a 55.
you can also tell by the shape of the rear quarter panels at the wheels.
55's are almost square and 56-57 are kind of tear drop, swept back affairs.
this is like american graffiti.