PDA

View Full Version : Update on New Coach - Legendary

surfsidebarney
07-30-2007, 03:06 PM
Hi Everyone,

Sorry it has taken so long to give a status on new coach; it has been very hectic. So, here is the latest:

Flew into Eugene, OR a couple of Thursdays back (7/19/07) and arrived at 1:00 at the morning at my hotel after a 2 hour flight delay. Vance from Legendary picked me at 9:00 am and took me to the "soon to be closed" Legendary factory. My initial impressions of seeing the coach for the first time was WOW! The exterior of the coach is better looking than the pictures had shown. Spent 10 minutes walking around the coach and soaking it in. Finally entered the coach and walked through it and again was kind of overwhelmed by it all. Still had plastic on the floors to protect the carpet and still had all the accessories glued down in various spots of the coach. The coach had been set-up for shows and had been down at Holland Motorhomes since the start of 2007.

Vance then took me for a test drive and I had never driven a coach that drove this nice; very smooth and easy to drive. We came back and signed the rest of the documents and the lender wired the money to Legendary. The coach was mine at about 12 noon that Friday, 7/20/07.

Vance spent about 4 hours going over how everything worked and this is where I sort of screwed up. I was not able to do things the way you all recommended I do things. I didn't video tape, which I should have done and wished I had done. I didn't follow the checklist that Jon had sent; not enough time to really do that. Tried to operate everything I could in the time we had but missed a few things. I thought since I owned and lived in my coach for 3 1/2 years that it wouldn't be too difficult to learn how to use this coach. My mistake; huge difference between my coach and the bus. I was very much overwhelmed by it all. I was partly overwhelmed because I couldn't believe how nice this coach was so I was sort of in awe of the coach the whole time Vance was trying to show me everything.

So, we wrapped up around 4 pm in the afternoon and I was on the road by 5 pm after I had the tires properly inflated. I thought the tires were low on air and I insisted that Vance have them checked. Sure enough the tires were at 75 psi. - not good. Had them inflated to proper psi and the coach even drove better.

I drove until about 9 pm and stopped at the first rest stop in Calif; Klamath Falls rest stop, and passed out until 6:30 in the morning; I was very tired. Got up in the morning and drove the rest of the way to Outdoor Resorts in Indio, Ca. arriving about 9:30 pm with no problems what so ever. Spent Sunday moving all my stuff from the old coach to the new coach and drove to Anaheim at midnight to be there for work the next morning.

The good things about the bus so far. I love the way it drives and the interior is a good layout for me. The bad things; I wished I had been able to do things the right way in the way I took ownership of the bus. Legendary did not have an owner's manual for the coach and I have a lot of questions on how they set-up the coach. The only documentation was documentation from each vendor, which is of limited value. I should have spent at least 3 days with the coach before I drove away from the factory making sure I understood everything and that everything worked the way it should.

Next steps: I have scheduled a break-in Indo service with Mira Loma Prevost and they will do service as well as Prevost PDI. They will perform break-in service on the generator. Running lights on the top front and top back of coach are not working and they will take care of this also.

The coach came with basement air and one of the air conditioners is not working. For some reason the compressor is not coming on on the passenger side AC. The driver's side is working well and is sort of keeping the coach cool and comfortable (once I figured out how to override the "Power Save" mode that is a Crestron feature). Premier Mobile RV service is going to work on this for me and I hope it will be taken care of under warranty with RV Products by Airxcel(?).

Closet door is operated with an electric motor to open and shut the doors. Was working and is now not; lucky it is not working with the doors open. I will work with and ex-Legendary employee to figure this out.

These are the only things on my "punch list" so far. I wondering if the 6 AGM batteries are working okay because they seem to drain very fast while dry camping - less than a day.

I probably feel better about everything if the coach had had a very thourgh PDI performed on it before I had taken delivery of it. The coach had been at Holland Motorhomes for a while, and when they gave it back to Legendary, I don't believe Legendary went through it and made sure everything was okay.

That's it for now. This weekend I will start to post some specific questions on how things are suppose to operate and how to check to see if things are working the way they are suppose to work.

Rick,
2007 Legendary, #1022:eek:

PS In all the excitement, I left my power cord for my laptop in my hotel room; Vance retrieved it for me and is sending it to me. I will be up and online within the week. Using my work computer right now at lunch.

dalej
07-30-2007, 03:30 PM
Nice Rick, I bet when we all bought our bus we all thought after a couple of hours.....LET'S JUST GET THIS THING ON THE ROAD, I CAN FIGURE STUFF OUT LATER!

You know the brain can only handle so much and then it time for fun. :)

Jon Wehrenberg
07-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Not because I wanted to, but because I had no choice I got to spend about 6 weeks with the first coach before moving it.

After the exhaustive pre-purchase inspection by Don Hoffman I drove the bus about 40 miles to my garage where it sat until I could break away from the business and take our first trip.

Almost every night I went to the garage and just picked a system at random and worked it until I knew how to do it. When we did get underway we went to Harvery Mitchell's sales facility in Tampa and he had his techs work with us four mornings in a row until we had the coach and systems down pat. And our 87 was simple compared to the coaches of today.

If I didn't have a job, and if I didn't have the offer from Harvery to come to his place I would have done exactly what every other red-blooded coach buyer does, and that is kick the tires and light the fires and get going.

jello_jeep
07-31-2007, 01:09 AM
Let me know when you are going to Mira Loma, maybe I can stop by and take you to lunch if not too busy at work!

I am only 30 miles or so from there while at work!

Congrats on the machine!!

I will PM a cell # for you

Just Plain Jeff
07-31-2007, 07:40 AM
Best of success with your new coach Rick!

When we bought our first camper, we got it at the old Angola sales facility in Lakeland, FL. It was a dream come true. At that time they'd had 18 used coaches to choose from...a range of an 84 Executive to a new plastic H3 (all this before slides).

We were there for over a week picking through every single one of them and had the codes for all the campers so we could look through each one at night when the sales guys were gone. (Best way).

In the end, we picked what we thought would work best for us; a coach which was not at all what we thought we wanted, but the best we could afford at that time.

We stayed there for over a week, took a 3-day trip and went back for The Tweak, which made a lot of difference in our confidence factor and reliability for several years afterwards. Lord only knows we wanted to roll on Day One but glad we didn't.

You'll find that Prevost will do their best to support your purchase and that the component manuals, if properly organized, will give you lots of information. Remember the shell is 80,000+ parts bolted together in addition to the components. How all that comes together is a measure of the condition of the coach and how it runs.

Just one way of looking at it. Have fun and enjoy your new camper. That's what it is all about!

dalej
08-06-2007, 11:52 PM
Rick, its been 8 days since you have talked about your new bus....I'm starting to worry a little about you.

No news is good news, I hope!

jello_jeep
08-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Well, Rick called me yesterday (FRI) and I bugged out and headed for PVML where Rick was being serviced (well, not Rick, his coach actually) :)

Also present at PVML was Mike & Dee! After touring Rick's new Bus and kicking the tires & whatnot, we all motated to "Lucille's Smokehouse" for some BBQ.

Had a great time talking about Bus things and Pog things and whatnot.

Was great to see everyone there!!!

A mini mini POG braintrust :)

Welcome Rick, who is a full timer in Thousand Stumps (Indio) ORA. !!:rolleyes:

mikedee
08-14-2007, 01:03 AM
I walked out of my coach early Friday morning at Prevost Mira Loma to see a beautiful new Legendary parked two doors down. I got my bus into service and walked into the waiting room to meet Rick the new owner and group member.

A couple comments,
The Legendary is a top of the line product, the systems are well done and use the best components in the industry, and the decor and quality of construction of the interior was impressive.

The 2006 Prevost part of Rick's bus was equally impressive, great engine compartment and the Prevost paint were awesome.

Dee and I really enjoyed lunch with Warren and Rick, good food and great company.