PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Comfort Air Beds, do you have one?

mike kerley
07-26-2007, 01:43 PM
My wife has suggested we toss the old mattress and purchase one of the adjustable air beds/mattresses (well, actually she told me we are doing this). I'm wondering if any of the POG'ers have them and how they installed the compressor? Under the bed or in a cabinet beside the bed. Any quirks with getting them in or operating them? Would you do it again?

Not that I'll change her mind if I get a bad report, just thought I'd check.

Mike Kerley

Jerry Winchester
07-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Mike,

We did toss our matteress, but replaced it with the Tempurpedic one which was way better than the old one, but I don't know how it compares to the Sleep Comfort.

JIM KELLER
07-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Mike, Have you found one that fits the rounded corners of our beds ? I do think I remember seeing one style advertised in an RV Magazine one time but dont remember which one.

win42
07-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Mike: We have a king size Sleep Comfort at home and really like it. Shirley has her setting and I have mine. It seperates the movement from one sleeper to the other. There is nothing to install the air system is small and comes on the cord and it just lays under the bed or across the end. We always had a firm mattress. We found as we got older a softer one would be easier on those old achey mucels, and it seems to work. I see most of the high end coaches are coming with them.

Loc
07-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Mike,

We have a king size Select Comfort at home that I really like. I liked it so much that I put a queen size Select Comfort in the bus. The installation was pretty easy you just need a hole between the mattress and the storage area below to run the air lines, the lines for the controllers and an electric cord. However, I am not very happy with the Select Comfort in the bus. I don't know if it is the size that makes the difference or what, but it is much less comfortable and feels like a bad water bed. The king size feels pretty much like a normal mattress, but the queen really displaces with weight. In addition, with any air matress you have to be alert to remember to let air out as you travel up into higher elevations. Just the difference between Houston and Amarillo could cause the bed to pop if the intitial setting in Houston was on the high side. We came close on our first trip with the new matress. I had the bed set on 35 when we left Houston. When I got to Amarillo the first night, it was like a rock. It regiseterd 100 and took a fair amount of time to get to 95 so it was probably more. If I had it to do over again, I would look at a Tempurpedic type mattress for the bus. We just got one for the kids and they love it. In the long run, I like being able to dumb the bed and not have to remember to air down the bed.

Good Luck

Loc

Joe Cannarozzi
07-26-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm not sure but I am pretty sure that the matteress in most motorhomes is 6 inches shorter than a standard mattress. Its a short queen/king. That is what we ordered when we bought one. Mabye the ones that have the headboard on the rear wall are the standard ones but if it is on a side wall a full length is too long to be able to walk around.

mike kerley
07-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Somebody's looking out for me.

Karen visited the Sleep Comfort local dealer and after 30 minutes roared out the door screaming at me on her cell phone. Seems the company sells their mattresses much like an automobile. She was so tired of the salesmans speel that she said she would'nt have one now if they gave it too her. Whew! Dodged a bullet on that one.

We had a memory foam / Tempurpedic? mattress for about a year and I never liked it, but did not complain. The chiropractor Karen visits said to get rid of it and get some thing firmer and without a pillow top. How she got on the Sleep Comfort kick I dont know, and wont ask. Back to shopping.

Thanks to all for your input.

Mike

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Sorry to hear about your wife's bad experience Mike, with the Sleep Comfort people. Of course you know their are good salesmen and BAD salesmen. She apparently got the BAD one.

Peg and I have a Select King bed in our home, and we just love it. But I do believe you might have had a problem getting the correct size for your motorhome, and that would have been my main concern. One of the reasons we love our bed, is you don't have to turn it over every other month, and each of us can adjust how soft or hard we want our side of the bed.

Good Luck in your search.

Gary S