PDA

View Full Version : KVH R6 Fails

JIM KELLER
07-24-2007, 09:06 AM
Seven month old KVH R6 In Motion Satellite Receiver with GPS and Dew Guard cant find Satellites. Message displayed is " searching for satellite 101 " and " searching for satellite 119. " Did a search and it looks like other members have had problems with this equipment also. Contacting KVH and will advise of the "cure."

Jon Wehrenberg
07-24-2007, 01:46 PM
Try rebooting it Jim. Remove the power to it, wait a while and power it up.

nrhareiner
07-24-2007, 02:08 PM
I have KVH R6 and had problems. Solution through KVH was the following:

1. Reboot per Jon
2. Attach 15 volt transformer so that R6 sees 15 volt not 12 volt.
3. If you are using HD portion of R6 make sure you get new stacker from KVH. Some of the older ones have problems.
4. If not using HD make sure menu function only allows looking for Directv 101.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-24-2007, 02:26 PM
Jim,

One of the problems I had was isolating my problem. Using the menu you can get on the signal strength page, and with the cover off the KVH manually move the antenna until you maximize the signal strength. You need a compass and a pair of cell phones so you can talk to whoever is in your coach watching the signal strength.

When it peaks you should get your TV display working and if it fails the problem may actually be your receiver.

Don't ask your wife to help. After a while both of you get frustrated and no matter when you choose to do this little project it will be too close to bedtime.

mike kerley
07-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Jon, Your knowledge of our coaches is wonderful and appreciated. You incite into living with a spouse, absolutely priceless!!

Thank you

Mike

Jon Wehrenberg
07-24-2007, 04:06 PM
I have spent 46 years with Di, and about 17 with our coaches. I am sure I understand the coaches better.

I have a feeling this post may come back to haunt me.

JIM KELLER
07-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks Kim, I hope I dont have to go down that road.

Mike, Jon's marital incite was GREAT.

Jon, Thanks for your help. You can be sure the procedure you described would not be attempted with my wife. One time a long time ago I asked Karen to get out and go to the back of the Bus to help me back up. I included the words " stay in my mirrors. " These days she still offers to help but I always respond, " Oh no thanks dear, just remain seated and stay comfortable " and fight it myself.

Contacted Tech Supt at KVH. Gave them the model and serial # and described the problem. They said a complete new unit would be shipped to a local Rep and I would be contacted next week to make arrangements for an under warranty install. Imagine this !

Jon Wehrenberg
07-24-2007, 07:07 PM
That's good news Jim. Nice to see they are supporting it.

garyde
07-24-2007, 11:37 PM
[QUOTE=JIM KELLER;16042]Thanks Kim, I hope I dont have to go down that road.

Mike, Jon's marital incite was GREAT.

Jon, Thanks for your help. You can be sure the procedure you described would not be attempted with my wife. One time a long time ago I asked Karen to get out and go to the back of the Bus to help me back up. I included the words " stay in my mirrors. " These days she still offers to help but I always respond, " Oh no thanks dear, just remain seated and stay comfortable " and fight it myself.

I know how you feel Jim. I don't know why, but my wife insists on disappearing behind the Coach out of site when 'helping me' back up.
When I try to explain that I need to actually see her .......well , you know.:o ;) :D

gmcbuffalo
07-25-2007, 05:22 AM
Have you contacted DirectV? Many times if you have not used the service you have to call them to turn on the signal. I was told by the MotoSat guy at BusNUSA that if you are going to travel any distances you need to turn on the system to find the Satellite frequently or else the unit gets lost and can find the satellite.

I had my wife help me back up and as I was backing up to the house she started talking to a neighbor and bang, I runged a good mural on the gutters of the house.

Greg

Jon Wehrenberg
07-25-2007, 08:14 AM
You guys that think there will be a continuation of marital bliss after expecting your wives to provide the assistance you need to get the coach into a tight spot are sadly misinformed.

If there is one thing that should be in bold letters on the mirrors it is "Wife may not appear in mirrors when required!"

Here are my suggestions:

Plan on backing into a site yourself.
Assume responsibility for backing into a site yourself.
Avoid asking for assistance when backing into a site.

Do you see a pattern here? Remember what time it is?

Alan__
07-25-2007, 08:28 AM
You wimps fall under the famouse quote "what we have here is a lack of commnication". If you have managed to stay married to the same woman for 30+ years and cannot manage the backing up process, you are missing something along the way!

JIM KELLER
07-25-2007, 10:38 AM
Jon, your contributions are priceless ! I want that quotation printed on my mirrors.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-25-2007, 10:55 AM
My success with buses is skill......my success with marriage is luck.http://www.prevostownersgroup.com/forum/

nrhareiner
07-25-2007, 08:01 PM
I have found that any job with spouse helping can and will lead to some very difficult discussions. Try to fix a car engine in below freezing temperatures. i was literally hanging upside down in the engine compartment of an old jeep tring to get it to run. Asked for a screwdriver, but could not lift my head to look for it myself.
In the end engine running, but not wife not talking to me for days.

nrhareiner
07-25-2007, 08:01 PM
I have found that any job with spouse helping can and will lead to some very difficult discussions. Try to fix a car engine in below freezing temperatures. i was literally hanging upside down in the engine compartment of an old jeep tring to get it to run. Asked for a screwdriver, but could not lift my head to look for it myself.
In the end engine running, but wife not talking to me for days.

ajhaig
07-25-2007, 10:19 PM
We have yet to pick up our coach but I have given the topic of backing up a great deal of thought as I've never owned a coach or RV. It's foreseeable that there will be communication issues with Sarah as we attempt to navigating in tight spaces. I bought a set of Motorola two-way radios exclusively for this purpose... time will tell.

lewpopp
07-25-2007, 10:47 PM
You guys have to realize that when it comes to handling a big unit like this produces testosterone in most of us. If you have checked out the spot by getting out of the coach and survey everything carefully, you should be able to back that bus in with very little trouble with out major help.

How about having a contest at POG III backing a coach in and see who does the best job. The prize should be a Christmas Goose. They must back into it.

As for help from the spouse, I consider her an important figure as far a the final resting place of the bus.

Ask Merle and Louise to reply on this one. Merle (Tuga) can come next door and have a beer while Louise puts it where it should spend the stay.

garyde
07-26-2007, 01:42 AM
A typical conversation between husband and wife on 2 -way.
Person #1 "ok, I will wait until you get outside and to the back of the
Coach. You signal me when your ready.
Person #2 "What"
Person #1 " I said signal me when you get back there"
Person #2 " Where"
Person #1 "I can't see you, where did you go"
Person #2 " OK, Go"
Person #1 "What , where are you?"
Person #2 "I'm here now"
Person #1 " Where, I don"t want to run over you"
Person #2 "Keep Coming back"
Person#1 "I can't back up until I know your clear, I can't see you
Person #2 OK, I'm done"

JIM KELLER
07-26-2007, 07:21 AM
Looks like my KVH R6 fails topic wandered off into a more interesting and amusing area. Gary, I dont think we have used our little 2 way radios since Karen and I had the same conversation !

BrianE
07-26-2007, 11:16 AM
Seems to me we discussed this issue at K'ville. I also recall that there were very few husbands in attendance (the exceptions were noted)http://www.prevostownersgroup.com/forum/. To begin with, the use of walky-talkies for back-up assistance is a sure recipe for confusion, DON'T use them.

The only possible way to assist someone, ANYONE, in backing their coach or any other vehicle is to have a plan beforehand using standard hand signals and to PRACTICE the exercise. The driver and helper must always be able TO SEE EACH OTHER in the mirrors. Patience is the key here and practice with cones or other non-perishable training aid is essential. The signaller must learn exactly where the rear wheels must track in order to be of any use to the driver.

When the day is over, we learn to correctly position our rear wheels through the process of trial and error. Once we learn to adjust our mirrors for backing and steer our rears where we want them we usually don't need any assistance.

Why is it that most of us will patiently help our employees get through job training challenges with patience and respect and that when we deal with our "best friend" it turns out to be a disaster? Beats me, but Beverly and I NEVER direct each other when we're backing except on rare occasions to help position our electrical and/or dumps exactly where they need to be. http://www.prevostownersgroup.com/forum/ http://www.prevostownersgroup.com/forum/

BrianE
07-26-2007, 12:04 PM
By the way anyone (Ray) know why I can add smilies on the compose post page but that they don't appear in the post?

Jon Wehrenberg
07-26-2007, 12:05 PM
Brian is correct. On a serious note we, as drivers, should have no problem backing into a site, nor should we have any problems in recognizing places we will just not fit in. There is one "gotcha" where either help, or a stop and look is required. That is something down low, on the passenger's side typically, but it could be on the driver's side such as a picnic table or a post.

The front end of the coaches swing, especially when the wheels are turned all the way, and when we are backing especially we could have been a mile away from that picnic table with the rear wheels, but the front end could swing right into it.

As drivers we have to not only avoid what we see in the mirrors, but we also have to remember things that fall out of our sight in the mirrors and verify either with a helper or ourselves we will not hit them.

I will ask Di to verify that I will miss a picnic table, or post or large rock. If I am alone I will get out of my seat and go have a look as often as necessary. I do not want the kind of awards that go with wrinkled sheet metal.

Ray Davis
07-26-2007, 05:05 PM
By the way anyone (Ray) know why I can add smilies on the compose post page but that they don't appear in the post?

Strange, looking at the data that is actually in your post, the smiler image name is missing. There's a link, but it's only to the forum directory, and doesn't include the image filename.

I'll try it here, myself. :eek:

That worked. Brian, how are you adding the smileys? What do you "see" in the editor? I actually see the shortcut name like eek within colon chars.

merle&louise
07-26-2007, 09:23 PM
Ask Merle and Louise to reply on this one. Merle (Tuga) can come next door and have a beer while Louise puts it where it should spend the stay.[/QUOTE]

I taught Louise to drive and back up the coach so that I could do the more important things like washing the dishes:D

BrianE
07-27-2007, 01:09 AM
Ray,

The problem is solved. I recall that someone recently suggested using the WYSIWYG enhanced editor on the user control panel. The problem is evidently with that editor. I just changed back to the standard editor and the smilies came back. I guess the point is if it ain't broke......:)

Ray Davis
07-27-2007, 01:09 PM
The problem is solved

Good to see you're smiling again!! :D

jello_jeep
07-29-2007, 07:27 PM
I think most confusion in two person backing comes from hand signals relating to "left" "right" etc.

I just tell Kelly Jo, I will worry about left, right etc.. you just tell me if I am fixin to hit something I can't see.

All works good.

I would like to find a set of full duplex headphones for the task, so we could both talk at the same time.

Although I am not sure if you could hear too well standing close to an idling series 60?

Never been on the other end of it...

win42
07-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Jeep: The real trick is let the person back there where they can see the stone wall do all of the talking and the driver do the listening. We had a few conflicts in the begining until we discussed things like full hand signals and maintaining full view of each other. I learned in my experiance giving signals to cranes and helicopters handling heavy loads on to high buildings that there is a system of hand signals that do work in all cases. Even relayed signals using persons operating on the same page.
Don't scream, it only causes the neighbors dog to bark.

merle&louise
08-03-2007, 09:28 PM
I have a KVH TracVision L2 (not in motion) satellite dish, and it will not lock onto THE satellite. It locks on to several satellites, but the ones it locks onto do not give me a TV picture. I have tried unplugging it, removing the access card, etc. and nothing works. I have tried changing transponders; tried transponder #2, #3, #4, etc. - no go!

I would call DirecTV but my blood pressure goes up about 60 points when I get on the phone with those people.

Any ideas!:eek:

JIM KELLER
08-04-2007, 07:51 AM
I have a KVH TracVision L2 (not in motion) satellite dish, and it will not lock onto THE satellite. It locks on to several satellites, but the ones it locks onto do not give me a TV picture. I have tried unplugging it, removing the access card, etc. and nothing works. I have tried changing transponders; tried transponder #2, #3, #4, etc. - no go!

I would call DirecTV but my blood pressure goes up about 60 points when I get on the phone with those people.

Any ideas!:eek:

Can't offer any help for your problem but I will give you the Tech Line # of KVH when I get back in my office on Monday. It too will raise your blood pressure ! But they did help me.

Danss
08-04-2007, 08:35 AM
Are you traveling? I am in Wy and had a problem as I forgot to change the zip code from Ms. Maybe yours requires the same. best of luck, Dan & Jo

merle&louise
08-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Dan,

Thanks for the pointer about changing the zip code but I did change the zip code. I will look forward to getting that Tech help phone number from you; that will be a good start.

Thanks for the help. Have fun in Wyoming.:)

Jon Wehrenberg
08-04-2007, 04:04 PM
I cured my KVH problem.

tracstar.

merle&louise
08-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Jon, do you have the in motion Tracstar?

Toy Box
08-05-2007, 12:01 PM
I also cured my numerous theh problems with K V H . I threw it away. Then I purchased a tracstar from a web site in Tx. Superb reception on all channels including XM radio. Mot only is the reception and time to track from cold startup much improved, there is only one single coax wire for the entire operation. I will never forget the countless hours on the phone with the experts at KVH, the money spent buying their new equipment and updates. My last call to their president convinced me to go in a completely different direction and I will never buy another of their products for myself or any of our customers.

rfoster
08-05-2007, 01:02 PM
I ditto everything Toy Box says. I cured my KVH problem by buying a TracStar from the place in Tx. Been Very pleased since.

JIM KELLER
08-06-2007, 09:46 AM
KVH # 1 - 401 - 847 - 3327. They dont have a 1-800 #. Besure to have your serial # with you when you call. Good luck !

Jon Wehrenberg
08-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Tuga....yes, the tracstar is in motion and it works very well and unlike the KVH that sat on the roof grinding away, the tracstar is barely detectible and as has been said it locks on and stays with the signal.

merle&louise
08-06-2007, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the phone number Jim.

Jon, glad to hear the good reviews about TracStart in motion. I am going to give KVH one try and if it doesn't work out, I am just going to buy a TracStar in motion satellite dish. Thanks for the post.:D

Jon Wehrenberg
08-06-2007, 07:19 PM
My saga is probably not unlike others.

I called KVH and the tech gave me some things to look at.

I did them with no luck. I had a tech with a computer hook up to the system and he told me the KVH was good, but the receiver was bad. I replaced the receiver and it still did not work, so I manually locked on to the signal and determined something internal with the KVH had failed and it did not recognize when a strong signal was being received.

Gave up dealing with KVH. Too much mumbo jumbo.

Tracstar....30 minutes to install, uses existing cable as sole wire. Started up and locked on in about 35 seconds. End of story.

JIM KELLER
08-14-2007, 02:59 PM
If there remains any question about their "customer service" and how I am doing with my FAILED unit this post should clarify the topic. 11 phone calls to tech supt. 3 phone calls to shipping. 5 phone calls to the local area rep. 3 phone calls to the installer. Over three weeks now and still no replacement for the FAILED unit ! And they call this "customer service."

If I had not just paid $2700. for this unit I would be all over a Trackstar like a Robin on a worm !

merle&louise
08-14-2007, 04:39 PM
I bought the TracStar SV 360 in motion satellite dish with dual LNB.:D

JIM KELLER
08-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Received a new satellite roof unit today via UPS. One month after initial contact. Will now start the process of contacting the KVH authorized installer to make arrangements for the removal of old unit and installation of new.

merle&louise
08-20-2007, 01:32 PM
We installed my Tracstar SV 360 satellite antenna Friday, and it is a crystal clear picture. We drove around in circles at the mall parking lot just to test it. It never lost the picture - amazing!

I don't know if this has anything to do with the satellite antenna, but my surround sound system seems to work better. The sound is much stronger; so much so that I have to turn the volume down to almost 3 or 4 bars. If I select the volume setting that we used to use, the sound is way too loud.

What up with that?:confused:

Toy Box
08-20-2007, 08:32 PM
You are now getting the true digital picture and sound that was being held up by the KVH system.

JIM KELLER
09-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Finally got my R6 installed today. Warranty claim placed 7 - 23 - 07. Resolved 9 -11 -07. Total of 33 phone calls ! Unit was only 8 months old when it failed. Now lets see if it will work all the way to Branson and back !

Toy Box
09-11-2007, 10:55 PM
Call fast roger or me if you need the number for tracstar.