PDA

View Full Version : Montana ? ? ?

jello_jeep
07-14-2007, 06:59 PM
We are thinking of planning a trip to Montana for early this fall.

Other than just nosing around, we are researching places to reside in the summer that are cooler then these parts, for whenst we retire.

Having never been to Montana, was wondering iffn ya'll had any ideas on places to go/see there, and tips for the areas.

Thanks in advance.

merle&louise
07-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Jeep,

Glacier National Park is the most beautiful place on earth(that I have seen so far). "Going to the Sun road" has breathtaking views and it brings you from the West side of the mountain to the East side. The KOA West is a really nice park (not your typical KOA) and is conveniently located 2 miles from Going to the Sun road. Be sure to see the lodges on the East side of the park. I don't remember the names of the lodges, but you will see the advertisements when you cross over the ridge on Going to the Sun road.
The St. Mary Visitors' center should be able to direct you to the lodges.

Flathead Lake is an area in Montana that is also beautiful. I have not actually visited it, we just drove around it on the way to Glacier NP. But it looks like it has possibilities.

Montana is fantastic!:D

Jim_Scoggins
07-14-2007, 07:52 PM
Little Big Horn Battlefield in Hardin, Mt was a real treat. Also, we really enjoyed Red Lodge for a laid back place to rest up. Close by are the 20 something switch backs going up to 11000 ft Beartooth pass.

Danss
07-14-2007, 08:26 PM
We to are headed to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho and possibly some other places leaving the Ms. Gulf Coast in about ten days for a 3 to 4 week trip.
Thanks for all tips on good places to stay! Dan & Jo

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-14-2007, 08:56 PM
Warren, Private message or email Jim S. He joined POG in May and resides in Ocala,FL and Bozeman Montana. He was thinking of selling property in Montana in May.

He could probably tell you a lot about that State. :)

Larry W
07-15-2007, 12:31 AM
On our way to Canada visited some of the spots others have mentioned. We stayed in a nice little park close to Anconda, Mt and spent some time in Phillipsburg, There are anumber of ghost towns close to Phillipsburg just waiting for you to explore with your jeep. On our way home to start exploring all the San Juan Mountain jeep roads just a few miles from our house. Enjoy MT. We did.

Darl-Wilson
07-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Hey Yellow-Jeep! I'll try to give you some feedback from up there in a couple of weeks. We are heading up to West Yellowstone, MT on the 30th of Aug and after touring the park will be headed north. I can let you know a little about the western part of the state around Butte and Missoula. Let me know if there is anything in particular that perks your interest.

jello_jeep
07-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Thanks for all the good comments and information. Its going to be fun to narrow it all down and come up with an itinerary.

To those that are headed that 'a way, I guess we are interested in a medium size location (Butte, Bozeman, Missoula)? that would be cool and shady in the summer, to balance out our spot in Lake Havasu City that is nice in the winter, but TOO FRIGGIN HOT in the summer.

I know it has world class fly fishin, so that is a good start, and as mentioned, four wheeling in ghost towns sounds powerful good too! Gee, mix in fireworks, shootin, and a good martini (with bleu cheese stuffed olives of course) and it could well be home !! (The above activities not necessarily done at the same time) :)

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-15-2007, 11:26 PM
Gee, mix in fireworks, shootin, and a good martini (with bleu cheese stuffed olives of course) and it could well be home !! ( :)

Jello-Jeep, I thought of this local company when I read your post about Martini's and Olives.

Check these out. http://www.4garlic.com/olives.html

We just love these Garlic Stuffed & Blue Cheese stuffed Olives. :)

Try them out sometime.

Gary S

jello_jeep
07-16-2007, 08:02 AM
Well, I have had the stuffed olives in a jar, but it does something unfavorable to the cheese (imho). The best is to get a quality bleu (maytag or whatever) and stuff prepare the olives just before service. You get the nice "snap" of the cheese that a way.

We also did smoked olives & garlic once. It was work, but very good. Basically took a price club size jar of olives, and drained & de-pimento'd them. Got a price club size bag of garlic, and roasted it all up, then put it in a piping bag (like icing). Then piped all the olives full of roasted garlic.

Put all on a foil lined sheet pan, drizzled them with wine & olive oil, some oregano and a little pepper, then cold smoked them for about 20 minutes.

Results are spectacular, but caution must be used to keep youself in a well ventilated area if consuming these with dark beer :)

Some of those companies make really great olives though, in and of themselves. Always fun to try something new.

win42
07-16-2007, 08:49 AM
Jeep: You should have been with us on our trip. They served mountains of olives with all the meals in both countries. The trip through the port wine area had no shortage of great wines of all types. Check out www.swabshighsierra.com. Olives stuffed with Jalapeno. Your garlic stuffed recipe sounds great, save me some.

Jim S
07-21-2007, 12:45 AM
Jello Jeep,

Greetings from very HOT Bozeman ! Have been too busy fishing to get on here lately or would have replied sooner. We have been coming and going from here for years, and this is a record heat wave with little relief in sight, so my advice would be to find a cooler spot for another month or so.

The other posts hit some great spots, and would add Yellowstone of course especially if AFTER Labor Day(kids are back to school and the Park is very accessible). The drive south along the Bitterroot south of Missoula is pretty. Then cross at Chief Joseph pass back to the East to Dillon is also. If you continue East to Virginia City, a quaint old mining town full of artsy shops in the summer to Ennis, another neat small western town would be on my list as well.

I could continue, but won't waste space here. If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to PM. No matter where you go, Montana is full of beauty and very friendly folks. Come on out!

Jim S

ps. Jim Chaloupka.....decided we can't leave Montana, so not selling!:cool:

jello_jeep
07-21-2007, 10:17 AM
Thanks Jim, all good information.

Look for PM on the way.

BUSTER
07-24-2007, 11:54 PM
Jello,

Buster and Bluevost are heading to the Canadian Rockies this Thursday for three weeks....we are spending three days in Montana on the way up and we will let you know...hey...sorry about the heat problem...

Buster...Mike and jean Simmons
Bluevost...Ken and Janet Zittrer

jello_jeep
07-27-2007, 12:04 AM
Hiya Buster... Good to hear from ya'll. Hope you have a super trip, no breakdowns, fair weather, and a tailwind (no, not like Harry, I am referring to a positive road/wx condition) :)

Howdy to the bluevost clan too!

Jello,

Buster and Bluevost are heading to the Canadian Rockies this Thursday for three weeks....we are spending three days in Montana on the way up and we will let you know...hey...sorry about the heat problem...

Buster...Mike and jean Simmons
Bluevost...Ken and Janet Zittrer