PDA

View Full Version : Selling Bus

dale farley
07-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Since the purpose for which I bought my bus has gone away, I am thinking about putting it up for sale. I know I will take a beating because I have done so many things that didn't necessarilly have to be done. It has had several thousands of $ of changes in the last 10 months. Things like 3 Cruise Airs, 6 tires, 8 shocks, 1 air bag, new material on all awnings, New 2500 Watt Heart Inverter, Engine AC Compressor, Fantastic Vent Fan, Bay door actuators, new gel generator batteries etc., needed to be done. Things such as cordless blinds, new bed sets, new washer/dryer, Custom sunscreens installed at Kerrville, etc. didn't really have to be done but made Paulette happy. I can account for $12000- $14000 for parts, plus all the labor I have invested, and I realize that I won't get anything in return for most of that investment.

When I bought the bus, it was advertized on RVtrader.com. I am wondering where the best place to list it would be? If I don't sell it pretty soon or if I see I will take too much of a beating, I just won't sell it. Just thought I would try it while so many things are new at this time and everything is working except the fuel gauge. As I talk about all the things I've done to it, I really do have reservations about selling it.

Joe Cannarozzi
07-13-2007, 09:12 PM
What was your original purpose for getting it that has gone away and are you going to replace it?

dale farley
07-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Joe,

I originally bought the bus because my son (who is a minister) had moved out of state. We were planning to use the bus to stay in close proximity to our son and grandkids as much as possible. Additionally, we were planning on doing a significant amount of traveling. We have been all over the U.S. several times, but most of the time, we didn't have long to stay at any given spot. I wanted to actually spend some time in various locations, and the bus seemed like a good way to accomplish this. I was considering downsizing and going almost full time, but hadn't quite convinced my wife of that move yet.

By the time I got the bus like I wanted it, our son has moved back into our town and is now pastoring the church that we attend. My wife and I each have several functions in the church; and we feel a strong obligation to support the church and our son in his efforts, so it is going to be difficult for us to do any extended travel. I don't need the bus at all to go see him any more, since he only lives eight miles from me.

I have been thinking about it for a couple months now, and I do have significant reservations about selling it , because I really like it. I just don't know that I can use it enough to justify having it sitting in the shed most of the time. I do know I will feel a sense of "loss" if someone buys it. We have had numerous motorhomes during the last 30 years, but none as nice as the Prevost. Dale

Joe Cannarozzi
07-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Well.............................................. you could always make it dual purpose and use it as a church bus as well:D

merle&louise
07-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Dale,

You sound like me!:D

I am the president of the "IT'S FOR SALE, IT'S NOT FOR SALE" club. I change my mind more times than a kid in a candy store. I have advertised my coach for sale, then when people call, I tell them that I have changed my mind, it's not for sale.

When I sold my 93 I called the buyer 2 months after the sale and asked him if he wanted to sell it. I still talk with the buyer of my 87 about twice a year, and he DOESN'T OWN IT ANYMORE! These coaches become a part of your life.

I must admit that you have a much better reason for selling than I do, but it is still a hard thing to do. People that don't own an RV just can't identify with what we go thru.

If you want my opinion, RVOnline.com is a great web site. The prices are reasonalbe, they update instantly, and they have a great layout. A buyer can look at a glance and tell what year, how much, and where the bus is located.

Just my .02

MangoMike
07-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Dale,

Unless you need the moola, there is certain satisfaction in just knowing it's out back. I head down to the bus barn at least 3x a week after work to "tinker" and find it extremely relaxing after a day of restaurant crazies.

I think you have to view it as a relaxation expense. A lot of guys join a country club (or if you're jdub a 50 cal shooting club) and they'll spend x number of dollars a year "relaxing" at the club. If you're going to loose x dollars in the sale, couldn't you use the same funds to maintain it for x years?

I work a lot, and expect for the POG trips, I don't get many lengthy bus travels. However, our family has found that if we can just jump in the bus and get away for a couple of days we're good to go. Our batteries are recharged and everyone is ready to get back to reality. Perhaps you and your sweetie can handle these short excursions without having to leave town for any length of time.

I would take a hard look at selling, before you jump.

Just some rambling thoughts.

Mango

dale farley
07-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Joe, Believe me when I say I have really tried to come up with some way I could use it in some form of ministry. That way, I could justify its existence in my own mind. I have considered everything from using it in ministry work, to trying to come up with a plan to use it in business so it would be partially tax deductible. Either way, I wouldn't feel it was just being wasted. Maybe I could convince the IRS that I am an undercover chaplin, trying to make sure all the POGers are going in the right direction.

Of course, as Tuga has stated, it is still up in the air. While I am seriously considering the bus, I am also planning to be at Branson, so I guess time will tell.

dalej
07-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Mike, did I just read... you work a lot? Jerry has always just said that you own a lot!

dale farley
07-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Mango,

I fully understand and support your statements. I do find significant satisfaction in just knowing I own the bus, and I try to not let it drive me nuts knowing how much I have tied up in something that I am not justifiably using. I also realize that I am not in the same financial category as many of the other Prevost owners in the POG. That's why I have a 93; it was all I could afford.

Actually, I haven't even mentioned to Paulette that I am considering selling the bus. She leaves most of those kinds of things up to me, but she does like the bus also. I really wish I could come up with a way to use it and justify keeping it.

rfoster
07-13-2007, 11:01 PM
I agree with Mango - if you don't need the Lewbucks---Don't sell especially if you enjoy the tinkering, fixing, updating, etc that is therapy for guys at this time of life (ole farts). That's almost priceless.

There is no other justification in my mind for owning a bus. You can't justify it as an investment, because it depreciates, you can't justify because you travel extensively, very few of us do. You can justify it because you wanted it and enjoy the ownership of it.

If you sell it what are you gonna do with your free time? not travel or work on the bus for sure if you sell it.

My kids all live within rock throwing distance so I use mind to get away sometimes. That might happen at your house some day? (just kiddn)

The Israelites wandered for forty years, you should at least go for 30 -40 days a year.

The wife, kids, and friends from your church would probably recommend that you keep it and enjoy it while you can, Be sure that things will change, you are at or reaching the time of your life that you should be content.

just my 2 cents

dalej
07-13-2007, 11:39 PM
Dale, no one can tell you to buy a bus or sell a bus, just where to buy or sell a bus, so try prevost-stuff or fmca or Phil Cooper or .... you get it! ;)

dale farley
07-13-2007, 11:42 PM
Roger, I agree with everything you said. I'll be 60 in August, and I am very much aware that I don't have as long to do things as I once had.

garyde
07-14-2007, 01:26 AM
Ahh... the eternal question...when to sell, when to buy, when to trade up. You never know what tomorrow will bring , so enjoy it while you can.

jello_jeep
07-14-2007, 06:52 PM
Geez dale, you just got er all fixed up and ready to rock & roll.

Anyone with lots of responsibilities needs rest and relaxation to keep away from the rubber room!

You should carefully consider selling, for say ..,, oh ... 10 years or so, then you will know the decision is right !!

Besides we need all the Marathon owners we can get :)

Sometimes Marathon owners sell before they have another one in site too... cough, cough, TRUKMAN, hurrumph :)

Will Garner
07-14-2007, 07:46 PM
Dale,

Carole and I looked for almost two years before finding a 1991 Country Coach. It too was all we could afford.

Initially Carole was not in favor of buying the Prevost. I intended some commercial use of it. Now Carole says no way are we using it commercially, that she cant' imagine travelling in anything but the Provost, and that I had better not think of selling it!

Right now it is in the shop getting some rookie panel damages repaired. We have taken it on three week plus long trips since purchasing it on 1 January 2007. We also use it to take weekend day trips to historical sites with the grand kids, or simply go to a restaurant we have heard something about that is within a day trip away with some friends.

My advice based on my experience is that you need to check with Paulette before you list your Prevost for sale anywhere!

We too hope to be in Branson as well as the Prevost Car celebration next July. I'd like to get a rolling caravan going on the East Coast starting with Florida members and gathering more members as we head north arriving at the Prevost factory as a single group, the Prevost Owners Group that is.

By the way, I turned 60 on 1 February 2007. Exactly one month after purchasing the Prevost. I've logged about 4,000 miles thus far this year and am looking for more mileage accumulation opportunities. Oh yes, I still work a fully time job as well as one part time job between January and June.

dale farley
07-14-2007, 08:01 PM
I doubt that anything I do is going to mean a quick sale. Although there are always people looking for a Prevost, there is a limited market in general, and it will take someone like me that is specifically looking for something under $160K. Regardless what I do, I don't intend to stop using it or maintaining it.

Ray Davis
07-14-2007, 10:56 PM
Dale,

I'm in a similar position in many ways. Purchased a '93. That was the limit of my finances. I'm 55 and still working, so I outfitted it to work on the road. Has basically never happened, not because the bus isn't up to it. Logistics of getting on the road for any extended time with a home, dogs, kids etc isn't working.

I've thought of selling, and purchasing later. BUT, a strange thing happened. Kathy likes traveling in the bus. She really enjoyed both POG rallies we've been to, and we're planning on POG4 (at this point). So, If I get 30 days a year out of it, I'm doing great.

But, for now, I'm sticking it out.

Think perhaps of doing something like Bluevost (ken and janet). They have used their previous bus to work for Habitat for Humanity for a period.

I had lent my bus to my neighbor, who was heading down into LA to do work with another church for Katrina victims. They were also going to stop at Bible Study Fellowship and work for a week (in Texas I think).

If you can't use it all that much right away, perhaps people you trust would be able to minister with it?

Ray

dale farley
07-14-2007, 11:43 PM
Ray, It does seem like I should be able to come up with something that makes a little sense. I am my worst enemy in situations like this. I want everything to be justifiable, and at the same time I know some things can't be or shouldn't have to be justified.

I guess I am just a little frustrated, because I had thought I knew exactly what I was going to do when we retired, and now it seems like those things are not possible. I guess I need to just make some modifications to my plans and accept things as they are.

Of course, for years I had planned to live at our cabin in the Smokies part of the year and on the bay at our beach house in Navarre the rest. I rented the beach house out about 5 years ago and only go to the mountain cabin a couple times a year. I don't want that to sound like I am wealthy and can afford two summer houses. They are both very small/modest places. My point was that "what I thought I would want to do once I retired" has changed. Now I find myself tied down to a horse farm and heavily involved in our church, so we don't have a lot of time to do what I thought I would be doing at this stage of my life. Maybe I am just haviing an "old-life crisis". I've already had my mid-life crisis several years ago.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-15-2007, 07:56 AM
I was going to remain silent because this is a personal situation, but I see others have shared their personal choices so here's ours.

We owners of these coaches are likely to have earned them the hard way. We worked for them and whatever else we have.

My 6 place plane and my bus were at one time used extensively and for a while exclusively for business. The guilt about spending what we did to acquire them was erased when our use of them was primarily for business, with the weekends in a part of the country we had never visited being our "vacation" time. They were used so I could do seminars, attend trade shows as an exhibitor, visit customers and to meet with vendors.

Then I got unemployed and the business use of both tapered down to zero. The frequency of use also dimished greatly. We were occupied finishing the construction of our home and we really did not have reasons to travel as extensively. But....

The expense of owning them doesn't affect our lifestyle or impact us greatly, so after we got past the attempts to justify having the plane(s) and the bus we realize when we do use them we enjoy them. The point is that it took an attitude adjustment that previously was to justify everything we had because we were in the money making mode. We are no longer in business and it has taken a long time, but we are getting to where we now own things because we enjoy them, not because we can justify them. FWIW it is a hard transition, so Dale....if you enjoy the bus hang on to it for a while because the longer you are unemployed the more your thinking shifts away from what it was when you were working. Accept the fact the bus is a toy, a depreciating asset, needless, and a pure luxury. You earned it and the right to own it whether it makes sense or not.

None of these make sense. But who cares?

dale farley
07-15-2007, 08:41 AM
Jon, I had been wondering why you hadn't said anything, and I do realize that what you said is the truth. I have been retired for five years now, and I am still in the adjustment mode and suppose I will be from now on. I felt guilty for the first couple years because I no longer got up at 0430, but that time has now shifted to a more comfortable 0700.

I don't intend to make any significant effort to sell the bus at this time. Within the next few weeks, we will probably be going to a local campground where Paulette loves to fish. I know that even if I do sell the bus, I will be looking for something else a few months after, because we've just about always had some form of motorhome or 5th wheel.

I will list it on RVtrader and see if anything comes of it. If not, I can always tell myself I made an effort to sell it but didn't have any luck. Maybe that will sooth my consicence a little. I don't need anyone else to play mind games with me; I can do it myself!

truk4u
07-15-2007, 10:00 PM
Dale,

Careful what you wish for! I thought it would take about 6 months to sell Big Red, then Whamo, gone in 45 days. The price was right, cash deal and I thought, yippee, on to the next one. Now I wish it would have taken 6 months, Mrs Truk and I sure miss that bus. I couldn't be part of the 2 bus owner group and I thought I was way ahead of the curve selling now and then looking for the next one, but I haven't seen anything that compares to what I had even jumping up a couple years.

So, since we had all these paid for plans for the summer, I bought a plastic (gasp) gasser to get us through the summer. Here I am in a campground somewhere in VA just beginning the 4 week excellent adventure with a case of MPD you can't even imagine. Just think, here we are, no inverters, no insta-hot, no trash compactor, do dishwasher, no air level, no sat, no gen auto-start and a funny sounding thing up front that sounds like a motor!:eek:
And now gas is more expensive than diesel...

So, think long and hard before you part with the bus, but if you do, I know you'll make the right decision for you and your family. How would you like to be in my place when I end up in Oshkosh next week and have to take all the abuse from Mango and Jdub, then on to Sturgis where Bill and Jody will not cut me any slack.. Sure glad Tuga will be there for moral support.

I would post a picture of my 2006 gasser, but I just can't take the abuse yet, I need more time.:o

Jeep - Bite me!:D

dale farley
07-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Tom, You have my sympathy for your situation, and I am sure you will continue to catch a lot of flack for selling your bus and buying the gasser. Hopefully, it will all work out for you in the end. Just think of all the experience you have now that you didn't have before.

As for me, I am listing mine on Rvtrader for $168K, with a bottom price of a little less. I think that is a very fair price, considering all the things that have been done to it in the last few months. If it doesn't sell, that is fine. I really like the bus, and would not hesitate to drive it anywhere tomorrow. The only presssure I have to sell comes from my need to justify its ownership.

jello_jeep
07-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Hold on... Tom,,,, YOU bought a WHAT? :) :)

Kelly Jo is even laughing, and she is a nice person!!!

I only wish I was there in person to RUB IT IN, as you so richly deserve !!!

win42
07-15-2007, 10:51 PM
Truk: When I grow up I want to be just like you. Who's your daddy? A plastic gasser headed for Oshkosh and Sturgis. Well now ain't that classy.
Have fun!! being with your family is what it's all about. Even if your family includes JDUB & Mango. Is john gonna give your gasser a safety check in Oshkosh?

JIM KELLER
07-16-2007, 08:42 AM
Dale, D O N' t S E L L untill you visit Karen and I in North Carolina !

rmboies
07-16-2007, 08:46 AM
[QUOTE=truk4u;15746
So, think long and hard before you part with the bus, but if you do, I know you'll make the right decision for you and your family. How would you like to be in my place when I end up in Oshkosh next week and have to take all the abuse from Mango and Jdub, then on to Sturgis where Bill and Jody will not cut me any slack.. Sure glad Tuga will be there for moral support. ]

Tom, Tuga will give you great moral support and the two of you should be able to fend off Mango and JDUB :D I just don't see how Nancy can live without that trash compactor!!

dale farley
07-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Jim K., I definitely intend to visit with you and Karen in N.C. whether we keep or sell the bus. It's not that far from our cabin to your place.
Once again, I am not expecting a quick sale.

Paulette and I will be very disappointed if you don't stop by here the next time you have the opportunity. I promise to "not" close the electric gate on you the next time. Dale

Ray Davis
07-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Dale,

Obviously, I haven't been inside your bus, but $162 is too low. Taking a look at sites like philcooper.com, I see a 93 Marathon for $215. I would expect around $175k would be more reasonable.

Personally, I would list at $185, and come down to $175k.

Don't sell that short. That just hurts resale on all of us with vintage units!

Ray

Jon Wehrenberg
07-16-2007, 05:15 PM
If there was any way of getting truthful numbers it would be a great exercise to record the selling price of all coaches that trade hands in a 3 or 6 month period, but that will never happen so I think the only way to sell a coach is to go through the same exercise as when buying one.

Research the market, see what is out there and try to find out what sellers will really accept for a coach.

Some of the older coaches have been on the market for a very long time. They are typically overpriced. When a coach is seen on the market for a long time after a while prospective customers begin to stay away because the perspective is the coach has a problem.

Its better to price a coach to sell. Ownership alone has costs associated with it and trying to get every last nickle out of a deal often is the way and owner nets the least.

Ray Davis
07-16-2007, 05:24 PM
I believe I'm somewhat like Dale, that I'd rather ask for a vehicle what I want to sell it for. But, it seems like the masses expect to deal. Dale mentioned $162, and would let it go for $158. I think in most cases people want to deal, and feel they got a deal by grinding the buyer.

Granted, I will agree that the 93 Marathon for $215k is probably way over-priced, but I still "feel" that around that $175 mark for a 93 Marathon is not too much. You are correct, I don't have any figures to back that up. I purchased my bus just over 1 year ago, and that is the vintage of coach I was shopping (that's my price range), and I saw lot's of coaches which were much older (86 to 88) still trying to get $150k. 92-93 coaches a year ago were all available for around $175, and I'm hoping they haven't dropped seriously since then.

Personal opinion, I think $162k is a bit too low. And as well all know, opinions are like noses, we all got one!!

Ray

mike kerley
07-16-2007, 05:39 PM
Dale, You and Paulette have done such a nice job with that unit, I feel bad that your planning on selling it.

Lots of folks fix them up and then trade them, your out of sync doing all that work and then selling it. I hope you end up keeping it just so we get to see you again down the road.

Whatever happens, Karen and I wish you the best.

merle&louise
07-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Tom,

Thanks for the kind words, you know that I would never make fun about your new acquisition. Who knows, if the DEQ and EPA have their way with me I may be driving a gasser myself in the near future. Do you think that MM and JDUB would actually make fun of your MH?

I'll be in OSHKOSH Saturday morning about 10 AM, but I am not sure where to park. JDUB said that we will be parked across from the North 40 shower building, so I guess we will just look for that landmark. Hope to see you and Nancy there. Could you give me some directions on how to find Don the Osh Dude (as MM calls him)?

Who else will be there?

truk4u
07-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Tug,

Do I think MM and Jdub will make fun of my plastic thingy, hell yes!!!:p I'll be disappointed if they don't..

We don't get there until Monday evening, can't leave Rochester, NY until early Sunday morning due to a big family deal. I'm like you, don't have a clue where to go, but Mango said he would post it.

Looking forward to seeing you and Karen..

dale farley
07-16-2007, 08:26 PM
The last thing I am trying to do is to devalue the market for other Prevost owners. My thinking was that I would just place a realistic price on the bus, and it might sell in a few months. I see many sellers over-price their unit, and a year later they are down to a realistic price and eventually sell. My son says I always fix things up very nice for the next buyer then sell them too cheaply. My initial thinking is more in line with Jon's comments.

The one thing that I think makes my unit a little cheaper is the fact that it has 147K miles on it. Of course, to put this in perspective, is the same as a 1999 haveing 84K miles on it, so I don't guess mine is that bad. It runs great, and I placed it in the Detroit shop a few months ago and asked them to do anything the engine needed. They said everything checked out fine on the engine and fuel system, and they could take my money and do things like change all injectors, etc., but didn't think it would offer any return on my investment. They didn't even find any leaks anywhere. I was prepared for a bill of a couple thousand dollars, but I think they charged me a couple hundred.

I may reconsider raising the price, since I am not sure I really want to sell it at this time. We did enjoy POG III and meeting some wonderful people and making friends with people we would otherwise never have met.

Loc
07-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Dale,

I recently heard the prices on two buses that just traded. One was a 1993 Angola in decent condition that was listed for $175 and sold for $150. The other was a 1992 Country Coach with propane and motorhome windows that was listed for $149 and sold for $125. I would agree that most of the Marathon's I have seen have been listed a little higher than the other brands. I have had my 1992 Angola listed for a month on two of the websites at $165 with the thought that I would take a little less. FWIW, mine has 265K miles but 57K on an in-frame rebuild. I have had several tire kickers and four serious parties. I have had one offer for $125 which I politely turned down. I am ambivalent about selling the bus which I plan to replace with a newer model. I have done a lot of work to it and it is in really nice shape. I have taken the approach that if it sells for what I want so be it. If it doesn't so be it. I listed mine for a month and don't plan on renewing the listings. I would agree with Ray that a higher price is justified based on other Marathons that I have seen listed. However, if you are comfortable with the levels you have quoted, you will probably move the bus faster. You are right about seeing buses listed for a long time at an unreasonable price. Good Luck.

Loc

dale farley
07-17-2007, 01:22 PM
Loc,

I am considering raising my price a little since I am in no hurry to sell. Of course, once you set a price, it doesn't set too good with anyone who has already seen a lower price. I have decided that the 147K miles may not be that significant since it compares to 1999 model having 84K on it, and I've seen several with close to that amount of miles.

I do think a Marathon is worth more than some of the other converters (especially those that are out of business) just because of their excellent customer service. I have called them numerous times, and they have always taken the time to give me free advice on any questions or problems I've had.

jello_jeep
07-17-2007, 05:27 PM
Gas Trukster,

I see that you are trying to make up for your serious lack of testosterone, primarily brought on by selling your Marathon.. By posting an avtar of my most manly Jeep (not a rosie o'donnel model).

Keep in mind that the joy brought on by the vicarious use of another man's manly vehicles, is fleeting. Fleeting indeed ! :)

May the man upstairs have mercy on your no-bus owning butt ;)

I will sic Jdub & The Mango upon you like a hoard of diet Coke & Mento spraying locusts! :p