PDA

View Full Version : Driver's stationery window

lewpopp
07-12-2007, 11:04 PM
I had my stationery driver's side window installed today. It was $85.05 instead of $65. No sweat, but it looks real nice compared to the fogged up one I previously had.

I'll receive a lot of crap for this, but I ordered 2 of them and the door window is smaller. The door window is on order to be put in later.

Does anyone need a replacement? A new one from Prevost is over $340 or so.

I think I can package it up and send it safely.

It's like a fresh breath of air.

Lew

Petervs
07-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Hi Lew,

OK, I am a little confused. I recently changed my window with a Prevost part, and it is a nice improvement.

Have you changed yours with regular one pane tempered glass or safety glass so it will not fog again? Is that what you would like to sell?

Let me know, I would not mind having a spare available.

Peter

lewpopp
07-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Pete,

I had a replacement made with insulated glass because I was told it was the only way to get tempered autoglass, etc. I tried to get a piece the correct thickness but did not seem to get very much co-operation from the glass company. They used to make auto glass here but didcontinued it and had to orsder it out of Syracuse.

This is insulated and I'm very pleased with it.

Lew

Petervs
07-16-2007, 11:12 PM
Ok, so when you say insulated, you mean tempered double pane with a space between, just like Prevost sells? And you got it made local for about $85 and Prevost gets $340? Sounds like you did a good thing if that is how you did it.

I bought one from Prevost last time. I think after a few years of temperature cycles, and maybe some tweaking of the frame (it can't be perfectly rigid after all) then the seal is broken and you get fog.

Brian E replaced his with single pane safety glass. Well, actually safety glass is two layers with flexible plastic between them, all laminated together. But thinner than the original. So his came with new frames as well.

lewpopp
07-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Yes, it is 2 pieces of glass with some sort of gas in the middle. The only thing I don't like isthat the windows don't have the matrix paint around the circumference. I can get over that. I called today to see if they could make the spacer between the windows black instead of aluminum color. They can't.... If it last a few years, I will be happy and know where to purchase the new ones. My Prevost windows failed within a about a year. Just enough so Parliament didn't have to replace it.

I am trying to surround the edges with black tape which I noticed that the previous installers did. It seems as thought they used electrical tape and it could look like a "rube goldberg" set up if you're not careful.

I have no idea how I would package the window if you want it. I would go to the glass co and have them come up with some ideas.

Lew