PDA

View Full Version : Rumored from former coach driver. Are these true ?

Jeff Bayley
07-12-2007, 06:52 PM
(I guy I spoke with and met with emailed this to me as a follow up to our conversation. Anyone know if this is stuff to worry about. I'm all about keeping spare parts that I know might fail.

Detroit 60 Series engines have a history of failure with the "cam timing sensor". The engine can be running fine at the moment you park and shut off the engine. Unfortunately, when you attempt to restart the engine moments or days later, it will simply crank and not fire. Because this can happen at any time, some bus owners have chosen to invest in that particular part as a back-up. While you may be able to connect with an experienced diesel mechanic all across the country, the part may not be readily available or may be many, many miles away.

The other potential problems included the 220 volt electric motor than often drives the fan for the generator raditor. Your unit was sealed so I don't know if you have a similar motor but if you find out it does, keep in mind a replacement can be obtained from a Grainger Supply store.

I also mentioned that with the H3-45 Prevost (and possibly others), the cooling fan on the Detroit becomes lose or simply breaks off and flys through the raditor. That usually becomes an expensive, three day repair.
Not good if you have to get somewhere.
(end quote)

I have an XL, not an H3 anyway.