PDA

View Full Version : Inverter/Charger Setup

VegasDogMan
07-07-2007, 11:36 AM
My 97 liberty,12V System, has 2 Heart Freedom25 Inverter/Chargers working on a bank of 3 8G8D Gel Batterys in parallel (MK Brand by Deka).

We're doing a lot of dry camping and have concerns about charging/overcharging batteries.

When running generator, charge current indicated on each charger is 130A. Does this mean that each charger is supplying 130A to charge batteries? If so, 260A seems like it would cook batteries. Or, is the 260A divided amongst all three batteries?

Normally, when we're plugged in to 50A, charge current is very low since batteries are always in charged conditon.

When Dry camping as we have been for past 10 days, watchdog doesn't start generator till we drop to 10.5 volts or so ... Therefore, I run generator every day when batteries get to 11 Volts.

I've seen some Overloads on my charger, and misterious flashing of indicator lights periodically. Don't want to burn up batteries.

What's the correct setup as far as charging from generator when batteries are at 11 Volts?

Lee

Joe Cannarozzi
07-07-2007, 02:40 PM
Here is a site that might help you some.

Welcome to the group Lee.

http://phrannie.org/phredex.html

Jon Wehrenberg
07-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Lee,

This is an opportunity to review the inverter manual. In our coaches the annunciator panel has a series of dip switches on the rear. You have to remove the four screws and pull the annuciator panel forward.

In the inverter manual is a description of the function of the dip switches and it allows you to configure the charging to your needs. The inverter/charger is unlikely to damage your batteries, but you may choose a lower charge rate so you can run more devices on 50 Amp shore power. If I am correct the 130 amp reading is at 12V so it is around an 11 amp 120V current draw which may or may not be suitable depending on how many AC units or other devices you want to run.

The dip switches not only allow you to tailor the charge rate to your needs, but you can also configure them for the battery type you have. That is a critical setting because a flooded cell battery for example will have a higher charging voltage than an AGM. THAT incorrect setting can damage the batteries.