PDA

View Full Version : Care of Marble Floor

dale farley
06-30-2007, 10:33 PM
We have the 12" X 12" marble floor in our galley and part of the bathroom. I would like to clean it and reseal it so it will look as good as it can considering its age (1993). I am wondering what others have used to do the cleaning and sealing of their marble and grout? I see some marble care products on the internet, but I'm not sure what is really the best to use. Thanks. Dale
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

merle&louise
06-30-2007, 10:45 PM
Dale & Paulette,

I had a green marble floor in my previous coach, it is softer than granite and that is why it scratches so easy. The best way to make it shine like the day it was installed is to have a professional re-finish it.

I had a master marble finisher do the job. He wet sanded the entire floor with 5 different grades of sand paper; the last finer than the first. When he was finished it was like a mirror. The cost was about $550 and it took him about 4 hours. I thought it was well worth the money.

I am sure that some of the guys on the forum could tell you how to do it if you would like to do it yourself.

If you contact a retail marble tile vendor, I am sure that he can put you in contact with a master marble finisher.

Good Luck!

P.S. Liquid polishers don't work; at least, I never found any that did.:eek:

mike kerley
07-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Dale and Paulette,

We had the same experience. Tried many products ourselves and then hired a pro with a diamond polishing machine. Took him about 6 hours to polish and redo the grout and reseal. Looked great but only lasted about 8 months and was showing spots in the galley area and some scratches again. After consulting with several pro's, We have pulled the marble and installed granite. Much tougher stuff.

dale farley
07-01-2007, 10:29 PM
Mike,

I remember seeing your granite at Kerrville. It is a very nice job.

merle&louise
07-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Dale & Paulette,

After we had the marble floors done, we began walking on them without shoes. The grit that sticks to the bottom of your shoes is what scratches the marble. If you want it to stay looking good for a long time, take off your shoes.

Granite is a great alternative (floors in our present coach are granite) but I wouldn't pull up the marble:eek:

This is just my opinion, but I think that marble is much prettier than granite. I would have the marble polished, enjoy its beauty, and take off my shoes.:D

dale farley
07-01-2007, 11:42 PM
We always take off our shoes anyway, so I suppose if I have the marble refinished, it should last a while. It just looks a little dull and the grout needs cleaning.

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-05-2007, 09:07 PM
Dale, Get a grout saw at a home center and remove all the grout yourself and re grout. The saw is like a short hacksaw blade on the end of a 7&quot; angled handle. You move it back and forth in the grout line by hand as any craftsman would and your labor is cheaper than hiring out. Re grout with a color of your choice and be sure to apply a sealer. I suggest this process because you said you are most dissatisfied with the grout. If you still don't like the look hire a pro to polish the tiles and seal again.

Shop vac the old grout as you go. Take your time and you will be successful. Start in the least conspicuous area and by pulling the tool until you get deeper into the groove gives more control to eliminate jumping out and scratching the field tiles.

There is a proper grout to use. It should be flexible. I can't remember any specific brand or type at the moment. Ask around on that!