PDA

View Full Version : Weight and balance thinky

Jim_Scoggins
06-23-2007, 07:10 AM
This is the picture of the data plate in my coach. The individual axle weights add up to 49000 lbs while the GVWR is at 45000. I have not see this anomaly in another brand bus builder.
I am interested in the group think as to the reason behind this. I have one knowledgable opinion and am sorta formulating my own.
What do other 40 foot coaches have for weight limitations/combinations?
This is probably old business for some of you.

One knowledgable opinion I have recieved is it was an attempt by Prevost Car to allow some flexability to the converters for weight distribution.

My own thought is maybe because of the monocoque construction as opposed to a couple of beams down the middle?

Joe Cannarozzi
06-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Jim The axle housings prevo uses are not theirs, they buy them from another manufacturer and install them when they construct the bus. The individual axle maximums combined will usually add up to more than the GVW. For example the manufacturer of the drive axle housing says the drive axle housing is built to carry 23400 max. but in its configuration on the bus next to the tag it is only leagally able to carry 17000. Prevo could very well have another figure based on the deisgn of the shell. If it were on a vehical where it was standing alone it could carry 20000 legally. The seperate axle limits are just that and it can not be assumed that the gross max. is the sum of all three.

Another example- a 5axle semi of proper length is legal for 80000 but if you added up what the manufacturer says the max limits for each individual axle is you would come up with 100000+. Furthermore the axle housing manufacturer has no idea as to what the specs are for whatever structure there housings are being mounted to. Prevo has decided that there shell is saftly limited to 45000.

rfoster
06-23-2007, 10:52 PM
Joe: Excellent explanation of axle weight ratings vs GVW.

I dont know if you will have a refrigerator on your front porch when you get to Tenn or not now. Maybe just an old washing machine.:cool: