PDA

View Full Version : Front Hub Seal - Adding Oil

MangoMike
06-21-2007, 10:57 AM
I'm not quite sure how to add oil to the front hub unit on the 2000 H3.

Very simple on the 97 XL. Just remove rubber cap and add.

'97 XL

'00 H3

With cap removed.

As you can see there's a small rubber plug in the center of the hub. Do you just insert the nozzle from the bottlek, pushing the plug aside to fill?

Thanks

MIke

dalej
06-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Just a guess Mike, but it looks like you insert a screw driver to move the lock and then the cap comes out.

MangoMike
08-17-2007, 01:11 AM
Have you noticed these racing stripes on your front wheels?

Here's the howto on an easy front hub seal replacement.

http://www.prevoman.com/Pages/Hub%20Seal/Hubpg1.html

Mike

dalej
08-17-2007, 08:08 AM
Great how to Mike, nice job with the camera showing the detail.

Just make me proud to see someone do a little grease therapy. ;)

MangoMike
08-17-2007, 10:35 AM
Dale,

Just trying to follow in your big foot steps.

Mango

hhoppe
08-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Mango: Are these oil streaks before or after you added oil. If you get the level too high this is the results. If before add oil you may have a rear seal out. Go to Jon for step by step replacement. It is very common for service techs and ourselves to over fill above the fill line on the clear plastic cover.
Harry

garylstevens
08-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Mango: Are these oil streaks before or after you added oil. If you get the level too high this is the results. If before add oil you may have a rear seal out. Go to Jon for step by step replacement. It is very common for service techs and ourselves to over fill above the fill line on the clear plastic cover.
Harry

Harry, you need to click on MM's How To Website for all of the
details. http://www.prevoman.com/Pages/Hub%20Seal/Hubpg1.html

Very nice job Mike, and oh so very helpful with all of the pictures. Now if I just had my own bus to Practice on ?

Gary S

dalej
08-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Mike, how do you suppose the seal and site glass was damaged in the first place? I have to think that someone else was in there at one time and didn't quite know what they were doing.

Ray Davis
08-17-2007, 11:37 AM
OK Dale, you're having way too much fun with animated gifs!

Mike, how does changing the seal in an older unit (like your Liberty, which is probably closer to my CC)??

Ray

MangoMike
08-17-2007, 12:00 PM
Harry,
These streaks are after a 700 mile trip. No oil was added prior to the trip. But I believe you are right as over adding could probably cause this also. There is also a seal on the back side of the wheel, which can also leak and I'm told a lot more difficult to change. We noticed no leaking from the backside. Anyone who has additional info on this and would like to chime in, please do.

Dale,
You're probably right as that site glass is protected by the metal hubcap. I have heard stories about failure due to overheating, but don't know if they're valid or not.

Ray,
I never had the need/opportunity to change the one on the Mothership so can't comment on the difference. Hopefully Jon will post.

I wanted to show the process in detail as I'm told this is not an uncommon issue. And it certainly is a project anyone can knock out without sending college funds over to Prevost.

Mike

dalej
08-17-2007, 12:23 PM
Ray, are you getting some leakage in one of your seals? I had changed mine and have lots of detailed photos, but don't have the time to do a photo lesson right now, but could find some time if you need.

Ray Davis
08-17-2007, 01:06 PM
No, no leaks at the moment, but certainly something worth knowing/learning.

Ray

Jon Wehrenberg
08-17-2007, 03:33 PM
Great job Mike. A note all should realize however.

Mike repaired a leak associated with the cover. Our coaches have a hub seal at the rear that is accessed by removing the entire hub. I belive there might be a "how to" on the POG home page.

Orren Zook
08-20-2007, 01:40 AM
Mike,

The Stemco tech info for your hub cap is on this page, item 011:
http://www.stemco.com/CatalogsReference/TechTips/tabid/90/Default.aspx

Personally I'd replace it with a C/R or National cap with a rubber plug like your old coach had -or- some of the low profile front caps have a pipe plug in the side for adding or draining fluid.

If your wheel seal is not leaking and the bolts securing the cap are tight, it might be just the oil forced out the weep hole when the pressure in the cap vents. Is the fluid level correct?

MangoMike
08-20-2007, 02:04 PM
OZ,

I kept a close eye on the oil level and it was never over. In fact even with the racing stripes it didn't seem to lower.

I'm assuming that the weep/vent hole is this one. If it was blocked it the pressure build up might force the oil out of the gasket.

One issue about the current cap is that you have to remove the bracket holding the hubcap on to add oil. With the old style this wasn't necessary.

Mike