PDA

View Full Version : Tire protection while parked

lewpopp
06-20-2007, 11:20 PM
I am interested in buying some pads ( plastic ) to park my coach on on my lot in Fl. I understand that if you protect the tires on the bottom it keep amy moisture from the rubber on the tires over long periods. Also, I have a sealant on the concrete and I wish not to have the black spots from the tires.

I really can purchase them from the FMCA classified ads but thought if I knew what the hard plastic material was, I could locate and cut my own while here at home.

Lew

dalej
06-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Lew, if you go to a discount home store and buy 8 of the cheep cutting boards made out of silicone, they run about a buck or 2 lewbucks each. we bought one to cut out and use as a wheel protector when I remove lug nuts with the impact.

Don't spend to much or you won't make it to POG4 cause I'm winning the next lottery.

Jerry Winchester
06-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Lew,

Friends don't let friends put those goofy covers on their tires. I saw a lady boil out of a brand spanking new XL2 at ODR in Las Vegas and put some godawful tire covers over her freshly polished wheels. You would have thought that the sun was going to instantly kill the tires. They were there two days then left and the whole time this coach looked like crap.

Just say no to those gadgets and hope you live long enough to have to buy new tires ;)

Jon Wehrenberg
06-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Those condoms for Michelins are worthless. First, they will last five years no matter what so why cover your tires. Enjoy seeing your $600 black tires.

Even if you cover them, the tires are still going to age. I had evidence of cracking in the sidewalls on my other coach on the inside sidewall (towards the center of the coach) and that area never sees sunlight, and unless we are travelling our coach is always inside, under cover.

The only thing that looks dumber than covering the tires with a cheap piece of vinyl is covering the windshield wipers with one. Those items are meant to be sold to the folks that put big stickers on their 30 foot plywood palace that say 'Private Coach', 'This vehicle makes wide turns', and 'Car in tow'.

Jerry Winchester
06-21-2007, 05:09 PM
See Lew, at least my reply was a little more diplomatic. I was actually thinking what Jon said, but I watered it down because I know you are a sensitive guy.

So quit reading that crap in the back of the FMCA magazine.

MangoMike
06-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Other than Dale, none of you guys really read what the Lewster had posted.

He wasn't talking about covering the tires, just protecting the bottom contact area.

mm

Jerry Winchester
06-21-2007, 05:44 PM
Take Two;

Friends don't let friends put those goofy PADS under their tires. I saw a lady boil out of a brand spanking new XL2 at ODR in Las Vegas and put some godawful PADS under her new tires. You would have thought that the water was going to instantly kill the tires. They were there two days then left and the whole time this coach looked like crap.

Just say no to those gadgets and hope you live long enough to have to buy new tires

MangoMike
06-21-2007, 06:17 PM
Ok, now I think you're making this stuff up.

I can't wait now for Happy Hour to finish so Lewster can weigh in.

mm

lewpopp
06-21-2007, 07:11 PM
Lewster Here Now

Wifie is baby sitting so I get the the command post early.

Mike: You're the only one who understood my request. I will try what you said and just ignore the others. That's not to say I won't read what they have to offer. If I had asked a real critical question, they wouldn't even think about answering it.

About a month or so ago I asked about what kind of antifreeze to add to my coach and I picked up a gallon at a truck dealer and read the label and I see nothing about "sca"s on the outside. No one made an error on the answer cuz they never responded.

As for Alexandria Va, I would tell my nephew to visit your place but he would have to visit all 100 of them in one day to catch you. What's the story?

Roger must have asked them how the weather was and they spent the evening answering him. Oh, well, I'll have to rely on my "old" bartender, I guess.

PS I'm looking for Mike Kerley's e-mail address. I tried to find his name in the members' list but he must have registered as someone in the Witness Protection Prigram.

Lew

Gary & Peggy Stevens
06-21-2007, 10:32 PM
PS I'm looking for Mike Kerley's e-mail address. I tried to find his name in the members' list but he must have registered as someone in the Witness Protection Prigram.

Lew

Lew, here is Mike Kerley's email address. mikekerley@clearchannel.com

It is listed under the M's in the members list, not the K's. Hope this helped you.

And oh by the way, I knew you were talking about the pads for under the tires, and not covering up your wheels like Jon, and JDub, thought. What were they thinking??? :eek: :D I'm still trying to get back on your good side, How am I doing?

Gary S

Just Plain Jeff
06-22-2007, 07:25 AM
Oh boy.

Granted there are likely a few things from Trailer Life magazine that are useful for the Prevost experience, such as the hamburger flipper/Christmas light combo/toilet seat that the guy in Oklahoma fashioned out of Wal-mart bags.

Y'see the whole idea here with a camper is to drive it, not park it. That's where the trouble comes in.

The deal with dry rot is this: When you see it, you're already too late. Dry rot in tires, whether they be regulation, POG-approved tires or made from recycled chopsticks, rot from the inside out, so your rubber should have a manufacture date not longer than five years from the moment you inspect them. Period.

In speaking with a couple of entertainer coach drivers, they replaced them at 110,000 miles (Michelin Pilote X) as they didn't want to a) take a chance with their valuable cargo and b) would begin to see significant tread wear.

Now if someone is actively interested in taking their life into their own hands, contact the Trailer Life guy in Oklahoma who will make you some tires out of Wal-Mart bags and please report back to us how it goes.

Gosh, this posting seems ascerbic, doesn't it?

lewpopp
06-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Stop trying Gary. We need more members like you. JDUB saus I get my shorts in a bunch and I go off after happy hour. It's the tomato juice that does it.

Thanks for the Kerley Kontact.

Lew

lewpopp
06-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Jeffery,

I heard long ago that when you park for ANY length of time, you should put something between the ground and the tires regardless of the original surface.

I guess I am trying to protect my newly painted and sealed pad. When I park for 2-3 weeks, I pullout and black marks are left which I have a problem with.

Everytime I start reading one of your posts, I hear a table saw in the background. Is it me or should you turn off your equipment when you get on line?

Lew

Just Plain Jeff
06-22-2007, 09:43 PM
Lewster: You high rollers at ORA probably clean the underside of your coach daily.

Revelation: Lew has two Prevost vehicles too. Ha-ha, I told your secret.

Na-na-na-na-na-na.

Back to my stroke sander.

lewpopp
06-23-2007, 08:56 AM
You have asked me in the past to keep secrets and I have complied. Now you tell everyone that I am in possession of two Prevosts. Nothing is sacred anymore. I wanted to see how long I could keep it quiet. BUT NO..."Mr Big Mouth" broke the confidence of a friend.

Private communications between you and I will cease at this moment. Damn... Do I smell wood burning? Sharpen those blades so we can at least smell the aroma of fresh sawdust instead of your loyalty.

Careful of your fingers. It'll take a year for someone to train you to pick your proboscus with a different digit.

Just Plain Jeff
06-23-2007, 09:02 AM
Heywaitaminutehere.

YOU were the one who, I believe, characterized my attendance at certain events by saying, "The old hippy wandering around with the camera and the telephone gizmo..." or something like that. You also invited me, the last time I was allowed on your sacred ground at ORA (which will likely be the last time invited there), to photograph your Prevost Stock Number Lew 00002, which I declined due to your requirement for Stealth.

Ah, the iniquities of the mendacious life.

I can't keep up with you guys.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Yawn.....two old farts duking it out on the internet.

Your turn Lew....slap him around with some bold type.

henryhighwood
06-23-2007, 03:28 PM
All caps should get the point across.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-23-2007, 05:28 PM
Ted, did you really spend money to join up with this bunch of rejects from the assisted living facility?