PDA

View Full Version : Coach Height

JIM CHALOUPKA
06-20-2007, 08:47 PM
Normancasson or anyone!

Norm, Please type up a post on what you were telling me at Kerrville about the height of the coaches and the way to tell by the Stainless steel ribs / banding.

Thanks JIM

Jon Wehrenberg
06-20-2007, 09:09 PM
The coaches are generally a specific height, usually defined as the interior height. Its been a long time but I think it is around 83" more or less.

But there was a time that Prevost would produce taller or shorter coaches, and the way to determine was by the number of ribs between the two flat skinned areas on the front. Five ribs comes to mind but that may not be correct. As I recall each rib added or subtracted 2".

Having the information may win you a Prevost trivia contest, but in the overall scheme of things it doesn't mean much. If you are over 6 and a half feet tall and you were ordering a coach, if they still make special heights, it might mean something, but if you are buying a used coach, you either like it or not. If the height is too tall or too short there is not much you are going to do about it.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-20-2007, 09:11 PM
PS....Jim, you REALLY need to get a coach. You are spending waaaaay too much time on this. I'll bet not one in a hundred Prevost OWNERS actually knows about the height thing, or cares.

JIM CHALOUPKA
06-20-2007, 09:26 PM
PS....Jim, you REALLY need to get a coach. You are spending waaaaay too much time on this. I'll bet not one in a hundred Prevost OWNERS actually knows about the height thing, or cares.

Yes Jon I know. I don't care either. It is fun though, to know all the little details. I saw that Norm was searching around and I was trying to get him to verbalize a little. He knows a lot about Prevost, but doesn't say much!!
Not much new stuff coming up for sale right now, and nothing currently out there is very inspiring for me.
JIM;)

Just Plain Jeff
06-21-2007, 07:08 AM
I haven't heard anyone even talk about the height issue for about 10 years.

The last 3-5 rib issue was in late 80's coaches (chassis year). The 3-front rib was the tell of a standard coach and the 5-rib indeed was the 'tall' coach. The last 3-rib coach I saw was an 87 Liberty, so that's a 20-year old coach at this moment.

Just get a coach and have some fun. Narrow, wide, short or tall, they're all good. When you find one that's a winner, go for it.

There is a great selection of coaches available right now at many price points and being that it is summer, it's a good time to get out there and sign some papers.

Jon has missed an important point here. Everything is important from a mechanical and design point of view in a coach. Perhaps he has reached MTBF on the threads on his axles and is suffering from bolt exhaustion?

Whoa, that'd be an extreme case of MPD. Bummer.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-21-2007, 07:54 AM
Don't you still have some fingers to cut off?

Back to work.

Loc
06-21-2007, 09:06 AM
If I remember correctly, the differences were 83 inch, 86 inch and 89 inch interior height for the XL chassis. The 83 inch had two ribs below the window line. The 86 inch had 3 ribs and the 89 inch had 4 ribs. Most motorhomes were 86 inch 3 rib coaches. The exceptions that I have seen are early model XL's some of which had an 83 inch interior height. The ony 89 inch height coaches that I have seen are on the entertainer chassis. Even today, the XLII's have 86 and 89 inch interior heights. The motorhome chassis (W5) is 86 inches tall and the entertainer chassis (WE) is 89 inches tall. I did not see any options on the W5 to increase the interior height to 89. Does this make me one of the one in a hundred Jon? Is that a bad thing?

Jon Wehrenberg
06-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Loc,

This site will skew the numbers, but if we poll the overall Prevost population I bet the ratio is close to correct.

Loc
06-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Jon,

I bet you are correct. It is sad that I have chosen to use my hard disk for this type of trivia.

Loc

JIM CHALOUPKA
06-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Thanks to all for the trivia contributions.

Jeff what are the narrow and wide ones you referenced?

:D

lewpopp
06-21-2007, 10:08 PM
Jim, how old of coach are you interested in. You could have mine if the price is right and my ribs are real shiney.

Lew