PDA

View Full Version : Quantico camping

Jim_Scoggins
06-17-2007, 11:02 AM
We spent Memorial Day weekend at the Marine Corps Base Quantico camp ground.

Joe Cannarozzi
06-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Jim

Looks very quite, nice. Accept when they're out at the range:eek:

What type of work do you sill do for the USMC?

Jim_Scoggins
06-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Joe;
I am one of those nasty government contractors you read about. I work for Cubic Applications, Inc. as a simulations analyst: I work in the MAGTF Staff Training Program doing warfare computer simulations for the battle staffs.

I was asked to come back after 911--said I would be glad to as long as we had Marines in the field. I am really small potatoes but I can not wait to get to work every morning. Great folks, great environment and it is just super to have my head back in the fight again.

All the guys I work with feel privileged to be there.

Our young Marines and their officers are just superb.

Semper Fi,

rmboies
06-17-2007, 09:06 PM
Just for you Jim--My Dad in 1946:D

Debi ( I hope this comes through!)

Joe Cannarozzi
06-17-2007, 09:54 PM
I had a hunch an ex-pilot wasn't driving trucks:rolleyes:

I could't even imagine, thats sounds awsome.

Do you remember that day 40 years or so ago in boot camp when the drill instructers called you into the office and told you you scored high enough on the GT to qualify for OCS?

I had the same experiance and turned it down, ended up in a heavy equip. platoon.

When your 19 being asked to commit to another 10 yr seems like an eternity. I'm not making excuses, just an observation thinking back. Hated H.S. Couldn't see myself going to collage. You obviously made the right choice. That is one decision I wish I had to do again FOR SURE.

Debi great shot of your dad, 46 hu end of the war. You weren't even a gleam in his eye yet!

Live and Learn:)

Semper Fi

rmboies
06-17-2007, 10:11 PM
[QUOTE=Joe Cannarozzi;Debi great shot of your dad, 46 hu end of the war. You weren't even a gleam in his eye yet!

Live and Learn:)
Semper Fi]

Thanks Joe. It was nice looking at his old photos today on Father's Day. I wasn't a gleam in his eye yet but a few years later I would be. I was always thankful that he entered the Marine Corps between wars. However, we did lose him when he was only 52 after open heart surgery. He would have been like a little kid seeing all our buses and no doubt would have tested the new beer holder Jim found for his Prevost:D You know how those Marines are:rolleyes:

bill&jody
06-17-2007, 11:28 PM
as for camping at quantio, i think i did all i wanna do in the summer of '68.
wmm

Ray Davis
06-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Do you remember that day 40 years or so ago in boot camp when the drill instructers called you into the office and told you you scored high enough on the GT to qualify for OCS?

Joe, I remember a similar, but even more stupid decision on my part. Right after basic I was marched in front of a captain who told me I had been picked to attend West Point. I turned him down.

But, 35 years later, my son is attending there ...

Ray

BrianE
06-19-2007, 12:25 AM
My wife and I had the HONOR of flying our boys to Southeast Asia in the sixties and seventies. While we were proud to fly all of these boys, our Marines held a special place in our hearts. To a man, they were gentlemen and treated our lovely flight attendants with respect. Unlike the men of the other services, these boys came out of combat and straight on to our aircraft for the short flight to Kadena Airbase in Okinawa for destaging to the States. These flights were usually totally silent for the first hour or so as the boys came to realize they were actually going home. We'll carry the memory of those special flights with us forever. Thanks gentlemen.

lewpopp
06-19-2007, 01:47 PM
May we always remember the ones who didn't make the return trip and may God bless their souls.

Lew

Joe Cannarozzi
06-19-2007, 02:12 PM
Our Father in law, Robert Purdy, who is still around 88 years young hit the beach at Normandy, a infantryman. He was one of the lucky ones. He got roped into driving a duece and 1/2 in the Red Ball trying to keep up with Patten. After the war he was chosed to be a guard at Nurenburg. He was interviewed for the 50th. In the interview he says he got to do something 500,000 GIs wanted to do. He kicked Geiring in the ass! Said he got in serious trouble too.

My second father, Howard Turner, who is also still around Was 1st Cavelry in WW2. He was preforming RECON, in front of Patten. Quite a box of souveneers he brought back and saved!

A couple of jewels both of them.

BUSTER
06-19-2007, 02:46 PM
Brian...I made one of those Marine flights out of DaNang...your description is 100% right on...I was with 1st Tanks H&S outside DaNang with 1st Marine Division in 1967..I was a very young E4 at the time and had a hard time believing I was going out country...Mike Simmons

Just Plain Jeff
06-19-2007, 03:01 PM
As an Air Force Vietnam vet, we have a secret oath not to say bad stuff about the Marines, due to bandwidth considerations, etc. Some targets are just way too easy.

There are a number of other Vietnam vets on this board and some of us have chatted back and forth a bit. It was a long time ago and most of us don't talk much about what happened over there.

But I will share my Captain's story with you, he was a great guy and a real leader for all of us 18, 19 and 20-year old kids.

Here y'go:

http://www.afa.org/magazine/valor/0293valor.asp ("http://www.afa.org/magazine/valor/0293valor.asp")

Jim_Scoggins
06-23-2007, 07:25 AM
Just Plain Jeff:
Quite a story. I take it you were involved in this engagment.

Interesting.

It does us all good to remember our heroes.

Just Plain Jeff
06-23-2007, 07:30 AM
Yes.

Thank you for your service.

rmboies
06-23-2007, 08:31 AM
Jeff,

The story you shared about your Captain is nothing short of a hero dedicated to protecting his men and upholding the chance of Freedom for a new country. I was in high school at the very tail end of the Vietnam war and vowed I would always treat our military with the utmost respect and that I would support them wholeheartedly. My thanks to all of you and to everyone who has/is serving in the military. I am partial to the Semper Fi guys but I think ya'll figured that one out from my earlier picture post:rolleyes: