PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Fender Skirts

dalej
06-15-2007, 02:36 PM
Now that I have removed the paint, what is the best known product to keep the skirts shinny and new looking?

My friend Tim uses ArmorAll, looks like it works good. He said he has to dress them up after each washing.

PS...If one of you says to paint them a high gloss black, I will track you down. :)

dale farley
06-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Dale, I use ArmorAll (or an equivalent) on all my rubber. The last time I bought some, I noticed they have a new one by ArmorAll called "Extreme Tire Shine Gel". It is supposed to be the longest lasting of any of these types of products. I've had it on my fenders for about 3 weeks now, and it does seem to be better than the original. I got mine at WalMart for about $5 for 18 oz. It includes a sponge applicator. The applicator works great on the rubber fenders, but not so good on tires.

dale farley
06-15-2007, 03:51 PM
Dale, I assume you know that Ted (Wipe Out Systems) was selling a coating at POG III that is supposed to last from 1-3 years on the fenders. I talked to one person who had it applied to his fenders, and he was very satisfied. I know Mike Kerley had it applied to his, and it didn't go so well for whatever the reason. It created a grainy film. I think it was about $70. I need to try to remember who the other person was and see how thier application has gone since Kerrville. If it really lasts for over a year, it would be worth the money.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
06-15-2007, 04:03 PM
PS...If one of you says to paint them a high gloss black, I will track you down. :)

Dale how about a FLAT BLACK :D :p

This product has been real good on my Excursion Truck tires, lasts lots longer than other shine on products I have tried. 303 Aerospace Protectant

It guards against UV damage too, which is why I think it would be especially good on your bus tires or wheel well guards. http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=428&CFID=3601557&CFTOKEN=53171610

win42
06-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Dale; Wipe out systems Ted sold me the system for mine. You first have to apply a cleaner with a lot of rubbing to get all the dead surface dirt off then apply the finish that is supposed to last. I have been working steady on the Royale getting it ready for sale. The rubber fenders are on the list but I'm not there yet. I'll let you know. The Liberty fenders are color painted and look in excellent condition.

dalej
06-15-2007, 11:58 PM
Maybe I just wait till POG 4 and then you can use my bus for a demo Harry, Let me know how it works out and if you have any left you would sell. I need to have a deep clean thats for sure. maybe I'll just call Ted

BrianE
06-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Dale,

I may be the guy who recommended the Wipe Out product to you at K'ville. It started to come off after the 3rd wash. :mad: I'm going back to ArmorAll for the fenders because of its glossy look. Thanks for the tip on their new "Gel" product. Will continue using 303 on the tires for its UV qualities and non gloss look.

dreamchasers
11-08-2007, 06:59 PM
Dale,

I have recently purchased a 1995 Prevost, with the rubber fenders painted. My initial thoughts were to repaint the rubber fenders. But I noticed in your past post that you stated you had removed the paint from the fenders. What did you use and how did you remove the paint without damaging the rubber?

Thanks,

dalej
11-08-2007, 07:14 PM
It was a big job, but worth it. I removed all the skirts and used zip strip original. It took 5+ coats but I'm glad the cracked paint is all off. That armor all gel is good stuff.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Here I go again, swimming against the tide....

Dale, if the fenders are now just uncoated rubber, apart from washing them, why do you want to add to the workload by doing anything to them. That is a slippery slope.

I used to do that for several years with the original coach we had and just stopped doing it. Ditto for the rubber bumper pads.

However I still polish the interior of my valve stem caps.

dalej
11-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Jon, I have found that if I can keep Jan busy with detailing the coach, then she doesn't have the time to shop! :)

jello_jeep
11-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Gary is right on with the 303. It is expensive, works a bit like armor all, but doesn't get sticky and attract dust.

I use it on the tires too. They also make a solution for anything you have made out of Sunbrella material (like Harry's skivvys) :) :D:p

lewpopp
11-08-2007, 09:44 PM
Jon, you're buying the wrong valve caps if you have to polish the insides. Mine come pre-polished with a guarantee not to leak also.

rfoster
11-08-2007, 10:20 PM
Dale

My Rubber fenders are unpainted and I wax them to a gloss finish. When I first got the bus the fenders were dull and looked weathered. I cleaned them and used a cleaner wax on them (about 4 individual coats) and then used Mequairs Quick Spray Waxs (about 5 lewbucks a bottle at Wally World)

Then about every 4 wash jobs I do one coat and they look pretty good to me
thats mine 2 bits.

MangoMike
11-09-2007, 07:15 AM
I'm with Gary and Jelloman. A big fan of 303, plus it contains no silicone.

Mike

jello_jeep
11-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Well, if you happen to have a dead one, I hear the oil from the Synodontus petricola "Dwarf multipunctatus" catfish (exotic tropical fish) works really well.

Of course we would have to find a plethora of dead tropical fish, and who in there right mind would have that? :D:D:D

I'm with Gary and Jelloman. A big fan of 303, plus it contains no silicone.

Mike

truk4u
11-09-2007, 08:50 PM
Ask Mango, he's fixin to have two bags of dead fish!:D

jello_jeep
11-10-2007, 02:34 AM
Wow, what a co-inky-dink :D

Ask Mango, he's fixin to have two bags of dead fish!:D

Jerry Winchester
11-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Dale,

I used the Wipe Out stuff on them and they look real nice. The ones on the Marathon are painted, so that ended that need.

bill&jody
11-10-2007, 01:01 PM
dale-
i used wipeout's stuff in k'ville, and it still looks pretty good. a bit dirty at the moment tho. i don't think it was anywhere near the $70 that was quoted above - don't remember exactly tho.

wmm