PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

dalej
06-13-2007, 08:35 PM
I was replacing the brake pads on the front steer axle and cleaning the work area, when I noticed some part I didn't reconize. Can anyone let me know, It doesn't do any thing, I think!

Photos show the parts....the main part, a cable and a connector, I think.

This is the left hub...havn't got to the right one yet, so I don't know if there is the same setup.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Strictly a guess Dale, without looking under mine, but that is either a sensor for the speedometer (has the original speedometer ever been replaced?) or the ABS, which could be because the hub may have been replaced.

If I get under mine I can give a positive answer.

dalej
06-13-2007, 09:07 PM
I was guessing a speed govener if it had been used as a transport. looks like it would count the times the wheel turns.

Toy Box
06-13-2007, 09:57 PM
It's the speedometer sensor .

Petervs
06-14-2007, 06:17 PM
I believe it is an ABS ( Antilock Brake System) sensor. Each wheel has one, and the computer brain uses the speed of each wheel to decide if there is any slip- sliding going on. Then the appropriate braking force is applied to the wheel that is spinning only.

If your coach does not have ABS brakes, maybe someone installed a newer rotor that had the sensor on a previous replacement?

Joe Cannarozzi
06-14-2007, 06:45 PM
No ABS on a 1986 Peter.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-14-2007, 08:38 PM
We have a tie. Either George or Peter could be right. (I hope everybody notices I provided a firm answer for both)

I will look under the bus and confirm which it is.

I'm going to stick my neck out and vote with George because the old style speedometers used that location to sense wheel rotation. Those speedometers were unreliable and a lot of them were changed out.

Dale, does your speedo have the drum type mechanical odometer that clicks every hundred yards or so, or is it an LCD odometer?

dalej
06-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Yes it's the mechanical type. The thing that gets me is its not hooked to anything, I photographed it the
way it sits. I really thought that my speedometer ran off the transmission. I can send the photos to my
Prevost guy and see what he thinks. If its unused, I can remove it.

Joe Cannarozzi
06-14-2007, 10:54 PM
Dale

Where did the mess come from?

Just excessive grease from lube or a leaky seal?

I know from the truck that it is very easy to over lube the brake components.
I have to really watch myself. Ive gone back to the old hand pump gun in those areas and no more than 1 pump or 2.

dalej
06-15-2007, 07:31 AM
Joe, yes from excess grease over the years, I just wanted to scrape all the old grease and dirt off. I used to have Prevost service the chasis, I don't think they wiped off the excess. Or for anyone else for that matter.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-15-2007, 07:34 AM
Joe,

That is Dale's corrosion protection program hard at work. Personally I prefer to wax and polish that stuff, but I think Dale's method might be the most efficient way.

dalej
06-15-2007, 07:54 AM
Ever since seeing those guys inspect Lews coach, I have been nit-picking everything. I'm glad they had that program at POG 3 it sure opens my mind to little details.

When in Nashville last week, I checked out my friends Marathon for that exhaust issue and his exhaust pipe was touching the floor in the gen bay. It somehow slid over. His tires were two years out of date. Don't know for sure if he liked me pointing things out.

JIM CHALOUPKA
06-15-2007, 08:11 AM
Dale, That's what friends are made of;) You nit pick em, tease em, help em and tell em the truth:eek:

If after all that you still like each other??? YOUR FRIENDS:D

dalej
06-15-2007, 08:49 AM
Tim called yesterday and said he ordered 8 new Michelin tires at 700 and change each...ouch!

JIM CHALOUPKA
06-15-2007, 08:54 AM
Tim called yesterday and said he ordered 8 new Michelin tires at 700 and change each...ouch!

Some friend you are. You should have told him about the Chinese Rubber!

Jon Wehrenberg
06-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Dale,

That has to be a speedometer sensor. The ABS on my bus does not have a set up like you show in the original photos and has a different means of terminating the cable at the hub.

Petervs
02-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Hey Dalej,

So, it has been a year and a half, and you never posted the final result of this "What is it" question. I think it is about time. It is not nice of you to post these teaser questions and then leave us dangling.

I still think it is an ABS sensor, even if you do not have ABS brakes. They might have used a newer rotor at some previous repair.

If you have DDEC on your engine, it is not a speedo sensor because the speedo is electronic and gets a signal from the transmission computer, if you have one of those..

We are waiting.....

BrianE
02-29-2008, 12:45 AM
The part number is 60911. It is the speedometer sensor.

dalej
02-29-2008, 08:20 AM
Peter,

It wasn't a teaser question, I didn't know what it was. I didn't remove it since it sounded important.

If I find out different, I will post. I'm assuming (for now) it is a speedometer, Thanks Brian.

Petervs
02-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Well, if you are not using it I think you should remove it to save weight and improve fuel economy!