PDA

View Full Version : Baja Peninsula

ajhaig
06-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Has anyone ever driven their coach to Cabo San Lucas?

garyde
06-10-2007, 09:38 PM
I have driven down to Mexico many times over the years but never in a RV. From what I have read, it is better to go with a group . The Roads are narrow and there are many things to know about Mexico Law and Insurance.
Additionally, ther are places to stop and places not to stop aong the way, I would speak with Good Sam or FMCA for more info.

lewpopp
06-10-2007, 11:08 PM
I have an old friend who lives in San Diego and Montana and had a 93 Newell he drove to Cabo several times. As a matter of fact when he had the coach built he requested no tag axil which Newell abliged him with.

He passed the coach on to his brother in my hometown and he sold it a year ago.

His name is Jack Brewer and owned or still owns Pioneer Auto in Denver and San Diego. I guess he was a Porsche, audi, Land Rover dealer. Look him up.

dalej
06-11-2007, 11:11 AM
AJ, I would never take our bus to Cabo. We have driven down baja and mainland Mexico with our Harley and can't even imagine doing it in our bus. If you take it down the mainland on the pacific side you will be ok, but you probably won't enjoy it very much.

One of the biggest problem the Mexican people have with us Americans up here is that they don't need us going down there and showing them how much money we have. So to drive a Prevost bus down there will be like rubbing salt in somones wounds.

If you want to drive a rv down there, buy a older class C and sell it when you return.

ajhaig
06-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Many thanks for the input. We will be towing our suburban so when we venture into Mexico we'll find a spot to leave the bus in the US and drive the suburban.

Thanks again.

AJ

win42
06-12-2007, 09:44 PM
AJ: If you really have a desire to taste Mexico you can head to Puerto Pinasco MX. ( Rocky Point ) There are many Gringo type RV Parks there and it's a short 50 miles from the border. You cross the border just below AJO AZ. They have RV websites take a look. The fishing is good, they have good beaches and lots of good shrimp.

Enjoy the new coach and stay in touch. Remember there is no such thing as a dumb question, I've tested them with a lot of them and they still come up with good answers.

lewpopp
06-12-2007, 10:26 PM
I've taken my coach to Puerto Pinasco and do not have any wish to go deeper into Mexico. All different counties have different rules and the county that Puerto Pinasco is in is a very peaceful area. The police are not militant.

Lew

win42
06-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Lew my dad and his fishing buddies had a cabin there and left the boat there for years. They experianced no problems whatsoever. It's one road in and the same road out. Isolated from the rest of Mexico depending on fishing and shrimping along with tourism. Hot there this time of year. When were you there last?
http://www.puerto-penasco.com/rvparks.html

lewpopp
06-13-2007, 10:42 PM
Harry,

It was at least 4 years ago. I went down thru the list of parks on the site you put in and I could not remember the name of where we stayed. We really lucked out. I understood they had 50 amp and plenty of it. The plastic coach owners I traveled with hardly knew anything about 50 amp. They were satisfied with 30.

I care not to go over the gorder again. There's too much to see in the good ol' USA

lewpopp
06-13-2007, 10:44 PM
Harry,

It was at least 4 years ago. I went down thru the list of parks on the site you put in and I could not remember the name of where we stayed. We really lucked out. I understood they had 50 amp and plenty of it. The plastic coach owners I traveled with hardly knew anything about 50 amp. They were satisfied with 30.

I care not to go over the gorder again. There's too much to see in the good ol' USA

Lew

win42
06-13-2007, 11:21 PM
Four years ago huh Lew I wondered why there were so many toe head kids running around there. I share your thoughts, the Mexico thing is getting out of hand. They used to good god fearing people satisfied with what they had and very friendly people. I fear the pendulem has swong to far the other way. I hope for them and us here we find our way back to real values.
Amen