PDA

View Full Version : Air suspension up or down while in storage ?

jello_jeep
06-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Do ya'll normally leave your air suspension up in ride height while in storage, or dump the air out and pump up before take-off ??

Any advantage either way ??

Just curios.

:confused: :confused:

Jon Wehrenberg
06-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Warren,

This answer is sure to confuse you. I have never seen any Prevost recommendations for the position the bus should be in for extended periods.

From personal experience I have left the bus fully raised for extended periods, such as when it is going to get some work underneath. I am talking about a couple of months. I have noticed no issues doing this.

I have left it at normal ride height for extended periods, and I have lowered it down and also left it that way for a long time with no ill effects.

But....I do know the bus benefits from usage of the valving, so if nothing else I would recommend you at least exercise the various valves periodically. I will often use shop air to pressurize the system and run the height up and down manually and using the ride height valves. If I do not do this is seems the bus will have the leans more often.

jello_jeep
06-10-2007, 06:33 PM
No, I am not too confused :).. I discovered leaving it since P3, that I have a lean on the right side.

Not sure if having a lean that appears over that period of time is necessarily anything to worry about. I don't notice it over shorter periods. I was just thinking of leaving it with the air dumped and didn't know if it would make a difference.

Thanks!

Kevin Erion
06-10-2007, 07:33 PM
If you don't want to know if you have the leans I would dump all air, if you are looking for info, keep it in the normal drive or level it out.
Kevin

Jon Wehrenberg
06-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Everybody eventually suffers the leans. They are only worth worrying about when the bus cannot be kept level for several days. It is not worth the time and effort to diagnose the leans when the time it takes for the bus to go out of level takes days, or the leans are not consistent.

Kevin hit the nail on the head. If you are seeing the beginning of the leans, just lower the bus.

dalej
06-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Warren, I had ask a older and wiser Prevost guy about this issue and he said that the air bags are made to let all the air out when sitting for storage or in parks. I prefer to let all the air out for entry reasons.

When I'm parked in the barn for my storage, I raise the bus a couple of inches above ride height and block, then let the air out. Makes for easy access under the coach and wheel removal, not much weight on the axles.

truk4u
06-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Jeep,

Go back to the bus and take another look, you may have been in the sqeezins and there really isn't any lean at all.:p

jello_jeep
06-11-2007, 11:19 PM
Good thinkin Truk, I will drive clear back to AZ tomorrow and take a look!

win42
06-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Now gonna give you younguns the great knowledge bestowed on me during my days in the trailer camps. If you jack your rig off the ground and leave it the tires will rot faster than leaving weight on them and allowing them to flex while your moving in the rig above. Now I know this has nothing to do with your great silver machines, but it did come to mind. You never know the way the governments acting we may all be back in the trailer camps.