PDA

View Full Version : Access to Cruisair's...

dalej
06-07-2007, 12:38 PM
On the Marithon coach 399 all the cruisairs are in the front. It seems that the rear air is somtimes pulling 40 to 50 amps on start. I told Tim its probably the motor. Do you guys think that would be the correct answer. I had just changed one of mine. Said that we could do it, but need to get the unit out part way. Question....can the unit be slid out enough without unhooking the piping to get to the motor?

truk4u
06-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Dale,

Mine will hit 26 amps on start-up then drop immediately to 19. I don't remember which one is which, I think the slide out Cruiseair (the front one) is the Salon and two fixed ones are Galley and Bedroom. Based on what JDUB just went through, it didn't look like you could just remove a cover inside the bumper compartment. I'm pretty sure you have to remove the piping. Probably has to come out as a unit and taken apart. It's a wonder your friends doesn't kick a breaker with that much amperage on start-up.

Keep us posted on the progress.....

Jon Wehrenberg
06-07-2007, 03:01 PM
It is unlikely accessing it will show anything. That kind of current draw sounds like a compressor trying to start up under head pressure so I doubt if that can even be serviced.

It is probably worth a call to the Cruise Air folks.

Ray Davis
06-07-2007, 04:52 PM
My CruiseAirs hit one heck of a spike on startup, which looks like it jumps over 50A (must be the meter).

The front unit (which I guess is larger?) draws pretty close to 30A, while the other two are closer to 15A each. I'd have to look closely to give real values.

Ray

Just Plain Jeff
06-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Ouch! a 50A spike on start up of a Cruise air is, as POGTALK goes, is 'way too harsh.' In the innumerable coaches which we seemed to have owned, I watched the Bass/Amp meter very carefully, as this is a good way to figure out a) where you are on electrical operations in general and b) to avoid blowing out the pole in the campground where nice people expected us to behave. I can't recall ever seeing a single Cruise Air go over about 22 Amps.

If a coach has all its Cruise Airs in the front, it seems that it may be kinda front-heavy. Lots of other implications on that one.

I was going to write a big deal about Head Pressure, but thought it wouldn't be such a good idea, this being a family forum and stuff like that.

OK.

I'll go away now for a little while.

dalej
06-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Tom, yes it did trip the breaker. It's working good, just somtimes on startup it kicks out and won't start the compressor.

He said as it's working now, pulling 17 amps

I don't think we are going to mess with it since it's cooling.

Thanks Men

Jon Wehrenberg
06-07-2007, 07:27 PM
When a Cruise Air is running the current draw is around 13 amps. If it is pulling more than that something is wrong.

Jerry Winchester
06-07-2007, 11:48 PM
During my recent Cruisair debacle, I asked the guy working on mine what the solenoid behind the evaporator was for. He said it worked as an "unloader" so the compressor didn't start against high pressure if it was kicked off and suddenly kicked back on.

Now I will say that many amps sounds like a compressor about to go south. Mine never pull that many amps starting and run in the range Jon suggested when cooling at max setting.

Now my units actually have hoses that allow you to move them a little so you can get to the valves when charging it.

truk4u
06-08-2007, 10:46 AM
According to Cruiseair, the loaded amperage should be 16 and start up as high as 40. My digital panel shows 19 while loaded, maybe the panel is off a few amps. Mine are Type A, ACA14BU.

JPJ, they weight 100 lbs, so 3 of them up front is about the same as having Jdub in the right seat, so I don't thing the lateral, fulcrum, radius framulation would be of any concern.

Just Plain Jeff
06-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom.

You know darn well that any $100 per hour Prevost technician will tell you that the unsprung articulated framulation is directly related to the fernambulated actuating nebulizer which in turn will directly affect not only your burnishment but the older slow-delay fusing and solenoid affectation system.

Holy cow, some guys have to have every single little thing explained to them again and again.

BTW: That'll be $3200 for the explanation. If you want it with the soapy water spray and wandering, make it $4700. Visa or Mastercard?

Jon Wehrenberg
06-08-2007, 12:06 PM
While the analogy about three Cruise Airs equaling JDUB in the front seat is fascinating, it lacks accuracy.

On a Marathon you could have JDUB and 3 Cruise Airs in the front, plus for good measure they throw in a generator under his a$$ balanced on the other side by batteries.

To compensate the drive axle should be in the front, and the steer and tag axles need to be in the rear.

Of course this all depends on what he had for dinner and if said dinner has been evacuated (so to speak), in which case you could put the steer axle where it belongs.