PDA

View Full Version : Motor Coach Security

ken&ellen
03-07-2006, 08:20 AM
In an earlier post by Bill Adams on Prevost-Stuff he had commented on the ease of forced entry to the Prevost bedroom windows. Then last week Lew had mentioned the " jailer " who goes from compartment to compartment with a large set of keys. Belt fed firearms aside, Jerry, what is the consensus of the group as to security aboard the motor coach....either on the road or in a campground. Electronic security? Defensive weapons? Lighting around the coach? Guard animals?
According to a report quoted in a past issue of FMCA 65% of RV's are thought to have some type of weapon aboard; therefore the criminal element avoids this segment of the traveling population. Is this overstated?
As always your opinions or comments are valued. Thanks. Ken & Ellen

truk4u
03-07-2006, 09:20 AM
I would suggest having a good security system, lock the Coach and all bays, be armed and most of all, be aware of your surroundings. I know there is a lot of controversy regarding firearms and the various state regulations, but being a former Police Officer and pro gun, I wouldn't be without one. If you are a gun owner and are concerned over the various state regs and you don't have a carry permit, one option is to carry a shotgun. Most states are shotgun friendly and if your real concerned, separate the ammo from the gun.

If none of this works for you, buy a Doberman.:p

Jerry Winchester
03-07-2006, 10:45 AM
I am sure most of these coaches, mine included, have an alarm system. We also utilize the electric locks on the bays but we are always prepared to go on offense.

While I seriously doubt someone would try to enter the coach while we are there, our coach doesn't sit out at night without us in it. The exceptionn is when it sits in front of our house the day before we leave. But our neighborhood is patrolled and the most significant crime is door to door sales.

So our coach has the standard motion detection and pressure sensors in the floor, so someone getting in would be startled and the dead would arise.

Then there is always the 9mm Sig (and before all you 45 cal guys get cranked up, if you can put 8 rounds in the X ring, a 22 will work) and we have a Winchester 1300 Defender shotgun with 4x00 that will open a hole in the coach if need be.

MangoMike
03-07-2006, 11:45 AM
No firearms in the Mothership as I would be afraid Mrs. Mango may use it on you know who.

Jerry, who installed the pressure sensitive floor and motion detectors. This is the first I've heard of this on a bus.

Mike

Jerry Winchester
03-07-2006, 04:51 PM
Mike,

I don't know the answer to that. It was installed on the coach when I got it. It has switches to arm the "mikes" and "pressure mats". On my home alarm, the only time it has gone off was when we left and the girls had a helium balloon upstairs. When the AC came on, it caused it to move and the motion detector went off and the alarm company called me. I think I need a big barking dog alarm to go off inside when we are gone.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Lew pulled our chain on a post on the other forum about not locking our bays, but over the years we have come to realize that Prevost owners are not well loved. The concensus is we all got our money by taking advantage of somebody else.

For that reason we trust no one. When overnighting anywhere but in a campground everything is locked. We have alarms, but for whatever reason we have never activated the system. Maybe it is because, like Jerry, we are inside. We have a double barrel shotgun, but by the time we got it out from under the bed, found the shells, loaded the gun, and pointed it, the bad guy would have everything, including the fillings in our teeth.

Having said that we are now likely to bring a pistol with us, and illegal or not, keep it loaded and accessible to us. Our grandson was our previous factor, and now that he is a high schooler and does not spend a lot of time with us conditions will permit the use of a pistol.

Kevin Erion
03-07-2006, 10:56 PM
I grew up in So California and now I have 3 beautiful girls and we lock the door and the bay doors. I am sorry but no guns and no alarms. I guess I think that I am safe because of where I choose to park. If I make a bad choice, I must be stupid, do I want to be so afraid of the area that I pick to spend the night with my family.
Time will tell,
Kevin

rfoster
03-08-2006, 09:32 AM
My coach is an automatic, my other automatic is .44 There a lot of idiots on drugs these days---- I'll ask questions later.
Roger

Jon Wehrenberg
03-08-2006, 02:26 PM
I want to clarify a previous post. My original line of defense if things get ugly is to drive away.

We would have never ever considered personal protection if my wife had not had a guy in a MO welcome center hang with her, asking questions as she walked the dog. After she got in the coach we watched the cops arrest this guy and take a large knife from him. We don't know why the cops arrested him, but we do know I watched him talking to her from the coach and all I had to protect her if he decided to do something bad was a butter knife.

I'm in full agreement with Roger.

ken&ellen
03-09-2006, 08:15 AM
Jon, Ellen & I have gone through a defensive training program and both carry concealed weapons. Actually, Ellen, qualified number one, in the class, on the firing range.
The first and most important rule is to be aware of your surrounding and avoid situations that are potentially dangerous. We were at a rest stop, late one night, to change drivers in route to Atlanta last year. Our routine, when stopped, is to check the toad vehicle. Ellen jumped out and I watched her on the camera as well as the mirrors. As she walked back along the coach she was approached by two individuals who, as it turns out, were begging for money. Although, I was prepared to come to her aid I was very concerned for her saftey. The point here is that we let our routine dictate the proceedure instead of following our training to go together to check the toad. We now go together to walk the dogs, fuel stops, or any function in and around the coach at night. Ken & Ellen

pognumber26
03-09-2006, 10:57 AM
Iwas approached at a Flying J @9pm one evening by three suspicious brothers insisting they wanted to WASH my coach...It was alraedy dark and the coach was parked in the middle of an empty truck parking lot...After several minutes of SMALL TALK , I had to confront the leader,I walked the 3-4 feet over to him,looked him in the eye,and told him to get the F--- out of my face and leave me alone...Maybe it was my native NY surety or my physical presence-6'4/350 lbs...The three pulled their car across the parking lot and pointed it toward the coach with the lights on... I got back in the coach and drove 50 miles to the lighted safety of a patrolled Walmart...Since then I ALWAYS alarm and lock the coach...We even have locks all around on our towed H3 rig...I am trained and experienced in the ways of the street...But when it comes to armed conflict,these days, I refer to the wisdom of Sun Tzu...The general who must resort to armed conflict,has ALREADY LOST THE BATTLE...faced with death, I have ALWAYS chosen to live...Short of that choice, I have always found good planning and sense more powerful than raw aggression...

Just Plain Jeff
03-09-2006, 05:19 PM
We're all looking forward to the much-touted Barclay dinner at the POG rally, in whatever form that takes. It'll be great for us all to have an opportunity to meet. The Ultimate Webmaster POGmeister Jim is getting the working agenda for the rally together. Looks like a neat balance between scheduled events and free time for the first face-to-face meeting between members and others. Already there are some pretty cool surprises emerging and I expect that there will be more. Helen and I will have a surpise for everyone (and ourselves) and are hoping for a tolerant reaction from the group.

Yesterday I was going through some of my old crinkly papers from the military and it said, "Counterinsurgency Experience, Republic of Vietnam, 1966-67." As to the general business of security of which I know just a a tad, it was my experience, and still is, to make sure that I am not in the wrong place at the wrong time. We have invited people on several occasions into our Prevosts in the past and had quite pleasant reactions. Some of you know about this and we got 'the eyerolls.'

Before we wised up and stopped going to Prevost in Florida, we were roaming around around town trying to find a good greasy cheeseburger. Helen stopped the truck at a place that said, "The Best Cheeseburgers in Town." Nothing wrong with that! We went in and found it was a topless joint with very loud music. I, well, er, stayed to get the food and Helen went outside and sat on the back of the truck gate. This wasn't in what you might call the best part of town. (For those who are inclined, it is called, "Waco's," and we decided NOT to post this as a campground suggestion here on the site).

We did really well, both of us, ahem, but decided to get out of Dodge and enjoy the burgers in the bus. I am sure Helen doesn't want to go there again, but I might be pushed into it...you know, for the cheeseburgers, perhaps, well.

Picking the best place to be at a given moment is most important.

I would rather be at the POG rally having fun than in a vulnerable place somewhere else.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-09-2006, 05:36 PM
We have a lot to learn and maybe if there is time at the rally we can all participate in a disussion of this topic. We do not like guns, and we like it even less that we felt compelled to own them.

lewpopp
03-09-2006, 08:57 PM
The pictures that you gentlemen paint is very clear. From now on, when I am on the road, I will lock my compartments. Thanks

I nice Prevost was parked a couple doors from me in the park and it was from Maine. I thought it was the Northern Command but it left in a day or so. Wow, a lot of one or two day campers.

Bye the way. I refuse to lock my compartments while I am at my home base here in Florida. I am into nearly all of them on a daily basis friggin with something. Hell, if I did lock them, I would have to get a ring and put it on my belt like a local janitor. Mops are next, but I'm not beyond that either.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-10-2006, 08:09 AM
Lew, I hate to tell you this, but real coaches not only have air operated pocket doors, and automatic leveling, but we also have a button we push that locks all the bays at once, and it unlocks them all at once. No keys.

Its a status thing.:p

ken&ellen
03-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Even my old Liberty has that lock feature. Some of the locks needed some TLC when we first got her, but now they all function. Cool. Ken

lewpopp
03-10-2006, 09:25 PM
You really know how to try to hurt a guy. But you cannot hurt a big boy like me and I will keep my chin up and strive on. My prior coach was newer than this coach and had door locks operated by a remote switch and this doesn't. I will take this coach any day over the newer plastic jobbie.

Help, Mango, they are trying to pick on me.

MangoMike
03-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Hey Lew,

It's pure jealousy. They all want to be the Lewman.

Mango

Jerry Winchester
03-13-2006, 12:34 PM
I can't believe Jon will shoot an NDB approach, but use an automatic leveling system. Only a wuss uses automatic leveling. ;)
What next? Auto flushing toilet? Hang in there Lew.

Security Update

While dry camping in an arena parking lot, the lot manager used traffic cones to establish a "buffer zone" between us and the parked cars. It was a noble effort, but many MangoMike wannabes just moved the cones if we were not there to smack them down.

Other than hire a guard, I don't know how to thwart this type of encroachment. I guess a big A barking / biting dog might work or some of that crime scene tape, but I can't believe the brazen disrespect. But of course there were OU, Mizzou, Kansas and Whorn fans in the lot. :eek:

pognumber26
03-13-2006, 09:23 PM
Just came from the Marathon/Nascar rally...They did a great job of creating a SEPERATE secure area with portable rented fences...We were protected from over enthusiastic/drunk/rowdy fans and got THE CHANCE to get a little drunk and rowdy to boot!!! Without proper/secure camping at this event,the potential for an ugly incident was GREAT... Thanks to proper pre-planning the potential problems were eliminated and I could attend the race without worrying if my coach was OK...

win42
07-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Security
My previous coach was entered via window at night and burgled. It is a sick feeling to open it up to see all the electronics ripped out and the bedspread ( loot sack) gone. They took figerprints and said they knew who she was, we heard no more from it. I installed an alarm system hooked to the office alarm for parking at that site. I also post signs on doors and windows that say " Motor Home Is Alarmed / Police will Come. No trouble since.
Recently while packing for a trip I was putting my loaded 454 Casul in the night stand next to my bed. Shirley asked me why I had to put that thing there. I told her " I hope you'll never have to find out "
California road side rest stops have a history of violence. Stuff you don't
want to hear about. Come visit us, avoid these stops at night. A few bucks for security may save your lives.
Harry

matsprt
07-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Very interesting comments. Tom, we have something else in common...San Diego PD, now trucks, go figure.
I have done a ton of things that required me to carry guns. I'm comfortable with that and I travel armed, not out of paranoia but a healthy respect for the unforeseen. Being aware of your surroundings is important. I, like Jon will move given the opportunity. Much less hassle, much less paperwork. But if not given that option bad things will happen. Very hard to predict the outcome of a gunfight, avoid it at all costs.

That old adage about better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6...true, but you will question even that once involved with all the agencies that will investigate you, attorney's that depose you and insurance people that just plain bother you. Just plain avoid, avoid, avoid.

I was recently in a campground in Washington. Several coaches (mine included) were broken into via the back bedroom windows. The common target was computers/laptops/printers, etc. I had taken mine with me that morning (my loss = nothing). They missed the gun. Here's a conflict, it's well hidden but easy to get to...I was told that there is actually a roving group that runs around the country targeting MH's. They know where and how to gain entry, they know where the safes are usually installed. And there was a newer Prevost that was not bothered. Lucky them !!

Michael

Jon Wehrenberg
07-28-2006, 07:05 AM
FWIW our coaches had burglar alarms. The first required it to be set before leaving, but my current one operates with a remote like our cars.

I have started using the alarm system since the posts on the Prevost-stuff forum about entry through the rear windows. I accidently set it off in the garage a couple of weeks ago and if I were a bad guy I would be gone because the alarm is loud and annoying. Maybe we all just need to set our alarms.

ken&ellen
07-28-2006, 07:56 AM
I will just park my NON-Bling bus next to the LED enhanced rolling palaces......it will achieve two goals....extra area lighting and provide a more lucrative target for thieves!:D

truk4u
07-28-2006, 08:04 AM
Michael,
Good thing for the bad guy you weren't snoozing, there probably would have been one more body bag in the morgue and you would have had lots of paperwork to do.;)

Like Jon, I have started using my alarm and mine has the window contacts as well, so at least it's a deterent. I know it will arm if the window is opened, but someone breaking the glass and getting in without opening the window may get away with it.

You know the old wisdom, "be aware of your surroundings" and be cocked and locked.:cool:

pognumber26
08-06-2006, 12:37 PM
We had the privelage of attending a four day pistol and shotgun workshop by Frontsite Alaska...We brought the Coach into their compound and included it in our sessions...We learned plenty...We should invite them to design a defensive Coach program for the rallies !!

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-10-2007, 09:25 AM
Ran across this piece of old news and thought it would fit in here!
:D JIM

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0%2C1249%2C640197953%2C00.html ("http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0%2C1249%2C640197953%2C00.html")

jello_jeep
04-10-2007, 10:56 AM
A shotgun blast to the head inside the coach!!!

That would make Ben's rotten reefer a desireable problem!

nrhareiner
04-10-2007, 11:10 AM
I always lock the doors and compartments. However, I believe the best defense is a good large trained dog. when we traveled with ours (he is no longer with us due to age) we really never worried. We have had 2 uncomfortable situations in 12 years of traveling. With that dog the discomfort was for the other people not us. Certainly a gun can defeat the dog; however, you better be good with the gun to win. The police around our farm used to alwways tell me that the best defense for the farm was our dog.

Of course dogs are a major responsibility, and not for everyone.

Kim sloan
02 Vantare XLII S2
06 dodge megacab
awaiting our first POG trip in 2 weeks

Yankee802
10-22-2008, 12:55 AM
The Cedar City Police Department said Wednesday it was investigating if the use of deadly force is justified. The Iron County Attorney is expected to make a final determination.

Hell yes the use of deadly force is justified, he was protecting his HOME and FAMILY!

I have a few weapons myself, I pray to GOD I never have to use them!

Geoff

10-22-2008, 08:53 AM
The original owner of our bus traveled between Vegas and Vancouver and wanted to have as much security as possible. He had Marathon install both an alarm and strobe lights that flash, including the docking lights when the alarm is breached. I have accidently set off this device and it is really annoying.He also had the "Viper System" that talks to you when you get too close, this is really annoying and will go off if its rains, "Rain Stand Back, Rain Stand Back" The only thing he did not have were 50 caliber machine guns behind the lights.

Its our plan to avoid places where we feel uncomfortable, even when we stay in Walmarts we spend some time sizing up the location before we settle in. And if we are completely uncertain we do a search on the web for crime reports.

http://fisher.lib.virginia.edu/collections/stats/crime/

There are lots of sites, and some are more current than others, but it does provide a snapshot.

Side Story: While renting an RV in Europe and staying outside Copenhagen we had our motorhome vandalized, got everything, you name it, laptops, cameras, cash, the whole deal. I filed a police report and made a claim with my insurance company (USAA). had never made a claim for 35 years. This was a big one, over $15K. They took 3 months before they paid the claim and then excluded all computer equipment from my home owners policy, really nice people. PS> Electronic cameras are considered computers. Can't win with insurance no matter how good you have been.

wrongagain
10-22-2008, 01:39 PM
I must admit that the whole motorcoach security thing concerns me.
It does have an alarm, but...
I have a concealed carry permit in a couple states but once I am out of those areas I dont dare.
Nothing seems more unpleasant to me than trying to get out of a jail cell in some other state.
I suppose it isnt an issue for most of you guys "going by the pictures I have seen on this site" but I look like anyone of the guys from your local bike club.
Kind of ZZ Top, biker, hippie, you know, long beard, pony tail, leather, black sun glasses, etc.
Cops just love to talk to me.
And leaving a firearm unattended in the bus seems wrong and is illegal here.
I could put it in the safe but thats not going to help me, and if I was breaking in to steal, the safe would be my primary objective.
So I am left with any number of impact weapons, bats, knives, etc.
Outside of the bus, I am fairly safe, because as I mentioned earlier, I look like one of the people who are going to rob you.
And for the most part mutants and thieves leave their own alone.
My usual interactions with people are,...which band is on the bus and can they meet them.

10-22-2008, 01:56 PM
I thought Jerry Garcia was dead. I love your line: "for the most part mutants and thieves leave their own alone".

You really should attend more rallies, or maybe I should.

The gun deal gets dicey when you plan on heading into Canada and frankly I hope to never need such force. Hope that my 2 tire thumpers will do the trick.

wrongagain
10-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Jerry garcia is clean cut, in comparison.
Think more along the lines of those 60's biker movies.

Joe Cannarozzi
10-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the heads up Ed it is always nice to be prepaired. So ya kinda look like Chalupka:rolleyes:

10-22-2008, 02:14 PM
Am I getting closer? Which image best reflects the correct profile in your opinion. Its like getting fitted for glasses. I think image #2 might fit best with the Mutant theme.

wrongagain
10-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Closer to image 1

10-22-2008, 02:32 PM
That is a relief. Although #2 is really Mango at the last rally. There is no telling about this crowd.

Where in Eastern Ma. are you from, I'm guessing Salisbury Beach area, that my best guess for today.

wrongagain
10-22-2008, 02:38 PM
About 20 miles west of boston.
Framingham, Natick, Wellesley, Weston, Dover, Sherborn, that area.
Between rte 128 and rte 495 a couple of miles from the mass pike.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
10-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Jerry garcia is clean cut, in comparison.
Think more along the lines of those 60's biker movies.

Have you seen the new TV show " Sons of Anarchy"

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/soa/#Nav/Homepage

Which one of them characters are you most like ? They might even be tame compared to the actually 60's biker dudes ? :)

Gary S.

wrongagain
10-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Never have seen it, but it strikes me as "melrose place" on motorcycles.

garyde
10-22-2008, 11:38 PM
I like traveling with one or more of my dogs. They bark a lot. I don't know how effective they would be in a crunch. My 12 guage sometimes accompanies me. I'm always cautious at night at stations, etc. and will not stop or park in rest areas at night.

jonnie
10-23-2008, 09:17 AM
Gary,

I don't have a dog to bark anymore, but like you I enjoy the company of my 12 guage trench gun and it's little friend 40 cal.

Jerry Winchester
10-23-2008, 11:36 AM
You know I think there were about 7 or 8 coaches full of dogs, some with the windows open, in Pahrump and not one of them barked when Jello Jeep was out doing his dastardly deeds.

I think Flyboy had a pack of dogs in his coach; not a peep.

Of course if you have even driven by a taco stand with the windows up, this dog will smell it on you and bark.....

Jerry Winchester
10-23-2008, 11:39 AM
Of course we know where this dog gets his girth........

garyde
01-11-2009, 09:57 PM
This is the second time this has happened. Maybe someone has had a similar situation with their alarm. I went out today to get something out of the coach, when I opened the front door the Alarm went off. The horn starts beeping. I turned it off using my keypad. Usually the door is locked by me using the keypad, or locked by me using my key fob. I don't know how the door would be unlocked and the alarm on. I did not use a key fob or the keypad prior to opening the door.

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-11-2009, 10:30 PM
If you can apply this to your situation.

When I did some work on the bus I disconnected the batteries at the switch.

After and when I turned the master switches back on, I noticed a red led at the front door blinking. I asked Jon what that might be and he said that my alarm was activated. I used the fob to turn it off.
Were you doing anything that might be similar.

Also, could you have pushed the alarm key fob accidentally?

JIM

MIsheeTX
01-23-2023, 06:35 AM
One word.......CARRY. Check local laws related to handguns, but usually even a long-gun will be work in most states.

MIsheeTX
07-12-2023, 09:06 PM
In an earlier post by Bill Adams on Prevost-Stuff he had commented on the ease of forced entry to the Prevost bedroom windows. Then last week Lew had mentioned the " jailer " who goes from compartment to compartment with a large set of keys. Belt fed firearms aside, Jerry, what is the consensus of the group as to security aboard the motor coach....either on the road or in a campground. Electronic security? Defensive weapons? Lighting around the coach? Guard animals?
According to a report quoted in a past issue of FMCA 65% of RV's are thought to have some type of weapon aboard; therefore the criminal element avoids this segment of the traveling population. Is this overstated?
As always your opinions or comments are valued. Thanks. Ken & Ellen

Refreshing this thread......perhaps consider carrying the Byrna range of non-lethal fire arms. https://byrna.com/ and if the shotgun is your thing.....well, they now have a 12-guage shell that is interesting..... https://byrna.com/products/less-lethal-12-gauge-round-10ct check it out. We keep a couple onboard. One in the back bedroom, one in the salon (hidden but easy access) and then we keep something super simple yet works well since when sleeping in the back with the generator on one can not often hear what is happening up front per se.......ring camera pointed at the front area linked to a ring chime in the bedroom and driver's area that announces if something breaks the camera's plane of sight. Deterrent, yes. We also put a wireless camera in the front corner of the front windshield where one can clearly see the blue light on when passing it. Works well. Check out the YouTube videos on Byrna and you will see, it will be a game changer. Nobody gets killed and then again, no worrying about legalities of being in certain states with a loaded firearm. Being from Texas we consider this to be a right, but that isn't everywhere, so, we have the Byrna as well. Also, it doesn't hurt that when they approach the coach they see the https://nrastore.com/departments/accessory/decals-magnets/nra-we-the-people-decal or the https://nrastore.com/nra-accessories/decals-magnets/nra-ultra-flex-3d-emblems decals posted in the corner of the glass......

prevonubie
07-14-2023, 11:30 AM
Very interesting thread, I'm conceal carry but its always a good bet to carry the 12ga. I will be looking into the Byrna 12ga shells, thanks for the great info Michael.

MIsheeTX
07-14-2023, 09:27 PM
You will love it, Jerry. I have purchased the pistol version for carry for the wife, and daughters, granddaughters.......Check out the YouTube videos on the product.

prevonubie
07-17-2023, 02:41 PM
Will do!! You always want to protect yourself and your family but for most of us who haven't experienced the up close and personal side of having to make that decision to fire a weapon for self defense you have to be ready to possibly take a life or risk losing yours or your loved ones. Thats not something to take likely and that could wear on your conscience, hopefully we will be up for the challenge if the time comes!

MIsheeTX
07-29-2023, 02:56 PM
here is a new video out......shows how it works.....this makes that "decision" you mentioned above more easier to make.

https://byrna.com/blogs/byrna-nation/youtuber-survival-living-tests-the-byrna-le-for-himself-on-himself?utm_source=Klaviyo&utm_medium=campaign&utm_campaign=%5B7%2F29%2F23%5D%20-%20Survival%20Living%20-%20Byrna%20MAX&utm_id=01H6EZ8DC58M0TCZW3YRA7JNPV&_kx=j2Abw-V7lc6v3_T1P0jWn7vSL54Tbr1b84pshA5BId0%3D.V8CKiy

Mike