PDA

View Full Version : auto start...

dalej
06-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Hey all, I have a friend who has marathon #399 and his auto start quit working. Does anyone know a solution for or a replacement. Marathon said the company that they used when the conversion was done is no longer in business. I looked at the box and it says Sun Selector on it. He thinks that is what went out.

I would hope we can fix it so his gen-set will auto-start again. We will be in Marion IL. for the next two days.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-04-2007, 02:50 PM
Didn't Truk repair this on Big Red?

Tom?

dalej
06-04-2007, 07:04 PM
I thought so, maybe I'll do a search.

truk4u
06-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Dale,

If it's a Marathon Genmate, I can help your friend with information. The Mfg is long gone. I got mine fixed in January.

dalej
06-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Tom, Can you email me your phone numbers and I'll call you.

dalej
06-07-2007, 01:01 AM
He has a powertech generator in his 1996 Marathon coach. He said that the auto start doesn't work any more. I think at some time low volts took it out, or a spike. Is there a fix for it? Marathon said it would take a rewire of the coach, can't believe that though. It's a Sun Selector.

Any good advice would be helpful, I bragged on POG that someone would know.

Thanks

Joe Cannarozzi
06-07-2007, 06:25 AM
Dale its early and I'm out the door but when I get home this evening I will pull out the info from the aftermarket auto-start that I purchased. It did everything the original did accept auto start on low shore power voltage.

It was under 200 bucks.

rfoster
06-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Dale/ Jan: I see by your signature, you are in Nashville?, Where you heading next? Do you sing or just dance?:cool:

dalej
06-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Hey Rog...we will be heading back to the great state in the plains Sunday. Wished we had time to head that way to see you and Jon.

truk4u
06-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Dale,

Sorry I missed your message! My cell is 770-634-7530 and home 770-720-0930. I know for a fact that Marathon in Florida had one more new control board when I was there in Jan. They have a tech that's real sharp on the Genmates and knew exactly what I needed and quickly diagnosed the problem. I have the old board, but don't have a clue where to have it rebuilt if that's even possible. The board was about 400 bucks.

There are a few things your friend can check...
1. Do the lights inside the control box light up when turned on
2. When turned on, the control box should make a few cricket type noises
from the board verifying the system is working.
3. Make sure the Auto-Start switch is not disabled at the generator
4. There is a small inline fuse in the gen electrical control box, check that
5. If the dip switches are not properly set, it won't function

If everything is OK, it's probably the board, but could easily be caused by one or more of the above. I'll be glad to walk him through some of this by phone if needed, or send a picture of the fuse location, etc.

The other alternative is to have the Auto-Start rewired to work through the Trace Inverters. The inverters have the auto-start function, but it has been disabled my Marathon due to the Genmate installations. I didn't get an estimate on the rewire, but sounded like it would be a grand or two in labor.

Again, sorry for the delay.....:mad:

Darrell McCarley
12-13-2007, 01:55 PM
After lots of research for a repair facility on autostart control boards, I found Colburn Electronic Controls, 1736 Victoria court, Mansfield, Oh 44906 Phone# 865-773-7098 Ask for Deanna. They did a wonderful repair with a 7 day turnaround at a reasonable price. Finding someone to work on generator autostart control boards was not easy. Darrell

Jon Wehrenberg
12-13-2007, 02:19 PM
What kind of coach and autostart Darrell.

There are numerous converters and types of autostart and that information may help someone in the future.

Darrell McCarley
12-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Jon, My coach is converted by Executive Coach, Fox River Grove, Il. It has a 15kw Universal Gen Set. Both Executive and Universal are out of business so parts (control board) were not available. Colburn tells me they can repair any brand of control boards. Also many thanks to Joe Cannarozzi for his recomendation of AAP in Virginia for new control boards. I decided to repair the old control board because it was easier for me to install. Darrell