PDA

View Full Version : Caution, Health Issue Alert. Your bus can kill you!

Darl-Wilson
06-03-2007, 05:28 PM
After we returned from POG3 I went to my Dr because of an on-going problem with pain in my Achilles Tendon. In the course of the examination my Dr suspected another problem and ordered an immediate scan of the entire leg. I was diagnosed with DVT, deep vein thrombosis, a life-threatening problem that can cause a pulmonary embolism. All this means blood clots in the legs that can pass through the heart and into the lungs causing a blockage which can result in a heart attack or a severe impairment of oxygen to the brain and a painful death. Serious stuff! I had to inject Lovenox into my abdomen every 12 hours for 7 days and must take Coumadin for 3-6 months or maybe for the rest of my life. What caused this? Most likely it was from driving my Prevost for long periods without an exercise break. This is the same problem that faces airline travelers on long trans-oceanic flights and bed-ridden hospital patients. Trust me you don't want this to happen to you! I will be able to drive again but with stops every hour and wearing TED hose to improve the circulation in my legs. My Dr told me I had a 10% that I would die in the first 4-5 days of treatment. I'm from Nevada but I don't like those odds! This is like a time bomb ticking in my leg but I am convinced I will live a normal life by losing weight and eating right. Why am I posting this? We met some great folks a POG3 and don't want any of you to have this same affliction. My Doc tell me smoking and overweight are the 2 biggest factors for this disease. The other factor is sitting for long periods of time without exercise such as we do while driving our beautiful Prevost coaches. Please, take my Docs advice and make sure to stop and exercise (not a smoke break) simply by walking at least every 2 hours. We want to see you all at Branson. Lord willing we will be there!

Jon Wehrenberg
06-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Thanks Darl.

I will heed your advice. When we used to travel with our pup I took breaks every 2 1/2 to 3 hours and I walked the dog and it felt good to get out and stretch and move around. Now we don't have our pup but I guess I need to get back into the habit of doing that. When I travel with fast Roger we stop so he can run his toad for a while, so I either need a bus dog, I need to stop on my own, or I need to have Roger and Micki go places with us.

merle&louise
06-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Another good reason to stop and walk around is to do a visual inspection of the coach. Look at the tires (toad and coach), check to see if you latched all of the bay doors, Zip Dee awnings, etc. Or just to get some fresh air!:D

garyde
06-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Great information. Exercise is the key and I for one need to do more of it. I like to stop and grab a half hour nap as well on long drives. It is real refreshing and allows me to stretch out and rest.

MangoMike
06-03-2007, 10:16 PM
Darl,

Glad you were able to catch this condition in time. Makes every day all the sweeter.

That's the double edged sword of the Prevo. It's such a nice ride it lulls you into just keep truckin' down the road without stops.

The best RX may be to install an uncomfortable drivers seat.

Mike