PDA

View Full Version : Bad Smell Coming from Cruise Air Unit

jimshoen
06-01-2007, 11:11 AM
1997 Marathon with three cruise air units. Just fired them all up for the summer and am getting a musty moldy smell coming out of the blowers.
Pulled the trim pieces off the cabinetry on the front unit and removed the TV to try and get access to check out the coil compartment. Can not figure out how to get into the unit? Please advise.
Sincerely,
Jim
775-843-8656

jello_jeep
06-01-2007, 01:59 PM
I have a similar setup, but don't have the bus here to do a looksee for you. Sounds like maybe the evap drain is plugged.

On a post not long ago, remember someone saying they made a turn and got a lap full of water from one.

Wish I could help more.

You can call Marathon on the telephone and they will walk you through it or give you some hints.. Probably the best place to start.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Jim,

It is probable you are growing mold on the Cruise Air evaporators and that is the smell.

These should have filters which need to be maintained. When they are not cleaned and maintained dust and crud builds up on the evaporator fins and coils. Since the evaporator tends to function as a dehumidifier its surfaces get moist and that moisture is held by the built up dust and crud, allowing the creation of mold.

Obviously the solution is to clean the filter and coils the best you can.

The answer was easy. The cleaning part is not so easy.

win42
06-01-2007, 05:56 PM
When you gain access through the inlet and outlet grilles spray large amounts of Hydrogen Peroxide on all interior parts you can reach. A final dousing with alcohol will further rid the areas with the crud the peroxide killed. this also works on auto air intakes.
Good luck

truk4u
06-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Jim,

How long has it been since the Cruisairs have been run? All 3 filters are easy to get at and all you have to do is wash them in soap and water and let them dry. You can get to each unit do like Joe suggested and make sure the drains are not plugged. I used a shop vac just to remove the dirt and dust. You should run them even in the winter periodically even if it's just on the heat pump mode to move air through. It sounds like you have mold and mildew due to non use or the water/condensation can't get out through the drains. What's your Marathon build number?